starting strength gym
Page 389 of 659 FirstFirst ... 289339379387388389390391399439489 ... LastLast
Results 3,881 to 3,890 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Fantastic Stuff, Mark! Those push presses oughta help tossing a caber, huh?
    Thanks!

Maybe, although I suspect high pulls will do more. I watched the bonny laddies at last year's games from my truck with a foot injury and it didn't look like they used cabers then. But back then, I hadn't considered competing I just wanted to watch.

Weight: 268.

Some random LISS with the armbike, rower, walking, and stationary bike finishing with static and dynamic stretches. I did better than usual throttling down the intensity, or maybe just getting better conditioned, hence not getting the HR going so much. But even the stretching didn't elevate the HR as much as usual. I am going to try one day a week of HIIT as an experiment just to see if it further improves my conditioning. Session ran 34 minutes burning 206 calories with an average HR of 103 bpm @ 66% of MHR and a peak of 112 bpm. Most satisfactory.

Our houseguests are gone now. All three were DB's classmates she has known since 1st grade or high school, hence all 5 years younger than me. All in pretty bad shape and with really bad health problems. Chronic back pain, heart surgeries, knee surgeries, double hip replacements and lots of drugs holding the pain at bay. All wonderful people, but all making me do the sign of the cross privately thanking God for my mostly robust good health. shudder

I've noticed your weight creeping up about six pounds over the past few years. I guess we know how you got the size increases!

Good health is something we take for granted until we get old. I've always done my best to stay healthy, while those I went to school with have heart attacks, stents, valve replacement, hip and knee joints replaced, etcetera. But I love to hunt deer, elk, and bear far from the roads. To do that I have to be strong and healthy. Tough to pack four quarters of an elk out ten miles one way, each weighing 125 to 150 pounds, and not be in good shape.

Yeah and I wasn't happy about the increase either. But even cutting back on food didn't seem to drop it.

As for the ills of the aging, DB's friends really took me aback. All the guys I hang around in the scotch and cigar He Man Wimmen Haters Club are in good shape. Some are a few years older than me and one pup is in his mere 40's. But then they are all fairly active.

Weight: 268.

Took a hike that was a little more of a challenge than I expected.

The trail is actually 1.8 miles and it twists and turns up and down a lot. About 1/3 of it has loose fist sized rock for footing and you had to slow way down to avoid a fall or broken ankle. The rest was covered in tree roots so once again foot placement and watching where you were putting them was important. Wonderful time, but I bit off a little more than I wanted.

Weight: 266.

I kayaked around our lake this morning. Stirred up the fish and woke up the neighbors' dogs who barked at their potential amphibious intruder and got a look at a magnificent blue heron at the North end of the lake before he took off. The float ran 45 minutes burning 314 calories with an average HR of 107 bpm @ 69% of of MHR and a peak of 134 bpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Yeah and I wasn't happy about the increase either.
    Know the feeling. I'm willing to drop size to drop weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Know the feeling. I'm willing to drop size to drop weight.
    Ah, if only.

Weight: 266. (yay!)

Hip Belt Squats: 365 for 3 sets of 5.

CGBP: Sets of 8, 155-165-165.

Hammer High Row: 260 for 3 sets of 8.

Cybex Crunch: 90 for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched.

Session was 55 minutes burning 461 calories with an average HR of 119 bpm @ 77% of MHR and a peak of 130 bpm.

Weight: 266.

Generalized full body LISS today after legs only on my hike and upper body only paddling around earlier this week. Also a shorter session that ran 31 minutes burning 199 calories at an average HR of 104 bpm @ 67% of MHR and a peak HR of 114 bpm. I am either getting better conditioned or titrating down the intensity. Either way, good.

Weight: 267.

Sloooow walk around Lake on the Campus this morning. The migrant (as opposed to Green Card) Canadian Geese are starting to arrive early this year and I watched several V's honking as they made their landing on the glassy surface. Received wisdom has it that it will be a cold Winter here because August has been 10-15 degrees cooler than normal in the low 80's so far and a few of the maples have already started turning. Good. I like the cold. Session ran 41 minutes burning 247 calories with an average HR of 101 bpm @ 65% of MHR and a peak of 121 bpm. I find I have to down throttle my walking pace to get this low to a point it's almost like walking Tai Chi. My normal walking pace is 3 mph. All in all, not a bad exercise in restraint and mindfulness. With geese honking in the background. Basho would approve.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 08-27-2017 at 01:40 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: forgot.

Push Press: 140 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

High Pulls: 175 lbs. for 3 sets of 3 PR!

Cable Rotations: 130 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

External Rotations: 50 lbs. for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched. Session was 59 minutes burning 491 calories with an average HR of 117 bpm @ 76% of MHR and a peak of 131 bpm.