starting strength gym
Page 391 of 659 FirstFirst ... 291341381389390391392393401441491 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,910 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight: 268.

Some full body LISS today with rower, SciFit, and motion arm elliptical. Session ran 43 minutes burning 312 calories with an average HR of 107 bpm @ 69% of MHR and a peak of 120 bpm.

Weight: 270.

Took the kayak out for a paddle around Cedar Lake. More of the trees were starting to turn and the shores, of which I saw only a very small part of, were filled with sandstone outcroppings. Also saw two great blue herons get into a territorial dispute that culminated in some aerial combat. Which was really something to see with those long legs, necks, and bills. I am smoothing out my paddle stroke, which requires a much different touch than paddling a canoe, which I have had far more experience with. It was windy into the bargain, which was much easier to deal with in a closed top kayak compared to an open canoe. Center seating makes a huge difference too. Finally, I gotta get a good roof rack. The cheapo high density foam pads and webbing straps work fine, but the webbing makes a noise fit to wake the dead while driving.

Trip was 52 minutes 345 calories with an average HR of 104 bpm @ 67% of MHR.

This is much the same paddle I had today.

Weight: 268.5.

Did some different kind of stuff today along with the usual. Tossed in a round on the Jacob's Ladder, and a stationary bike with bag flurries, medicine ball tosses, and the SciFit. Session ran 31 minutes burning 195 calories with an average HR of 107 bpm @ 69% of MHR and a peak HR of 145 bpm. Probably from the Jacob's Ladder. That thing gets your HR up no matter how you try to keep things under control. Short session today after yesterday's loong one.

Weight: 268.5.

Jujitsu tonight had both new people still there, but no G. We finally got through all the white belt techniques for the newbies, but barely. I got K, the Karate guy, in better semblance of how to move wrists, feet, and hips in something other than the linear patterns he was used to. A, the slight Middle Eastern kid, continued on in the fairly competent vein he exhibited last week. At one point his father interjected a question about him being grabbed in an inverted grip at the wrist in a snatch and grab attempt. I like real world questions, especially from parents, and he is the first parent to sit and observe the class. So I demonstrated two release techniques normally not taught until blue belt. They are slightly more advanced than white belt, but not that hard to learn. Give em a little sizzle from the more advanced stuff never hurts. It's not like demonstrating a choke.

E., the blue belt, asked a question after class ended about self defense and releases at school. As I had thought, the teachers insist the kids come to them if a bully assails them. Which is fine, but if they then lecture the kid who was attacked for effecting a release from a grab or countering an assault, how do they think the kid s going to get to them to report the attack? I knew I should have pursued the non-response I got this Summer from district administrators when I wanted to meet with them. So now I will be more persistent.

This was 60 minutes of LISS with an average HR of 107 bpm @ 69% of MHR burning 296 calories.

Weight: 266.

OHP: 130 for 3 sets of 5.

Deadlift: 305 5-5-2. I gassed on the last set for some reason. Back felt solid, but I just ran out of energy. I didn't even have enough left to do hammer curls or stretch.

My heart rate monitor was acting up today so nothing to report there. This session was not quite a bust but cannot be considered stellar.

In other news, I went to Shawnee Outfitters, a place recommended by my Tuesday night scotch and cigar geezer buddies, to find out about a roof rack for my kayak. Turns out, all I have to do is give the webbing strap a twist and it cures the noise problem. I also found a good used bicycle at the local pawn shop. Nothing high end or amazing, I just want something to bomb around on in the back roads and parks. Altogether a money saving kind of day.

Some more random stuff today, rower, heavy bag, stationary bike, SciFit, walking, stretching. Session ran 41 minutes burning 296 calories with an average HR of 109 bpm @ 70% of MHR and a peak hr of 123 bpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I've been keeping my eye on this ^^^^^^^^^^^!!

Weight:267.5.

Yeah, me too Oldster. Happily, so far lightening up on lunches or breakfasts seems to be working, along with slightly moving up a little more conditioning.

Took out the bicycle today. First time I've done that in 20 years. I discovered just how steep the rolling hills around here are. Not very, but enough to keep the HR humming along much higher than I expected. Today's ride was 32 minutes burning 327 calories with an average HR of 126 bpm @ 82% of MHR and a peak of 136 bpm. I intentionally cut this a little short today because of the unexpected intensity.

Weight: 267.

Push Press: 140 for 3 sets of 5.

High Pulls: 180 for 3 sets of 3.

Cable Rotations: 130 for 3 sets of 8.

External Rotations: 40 for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched. Session ran 61 minutes burning 416 calories with an average HR of 120 bpm @ 80% of MHR and a peak of 136 bpm. I took a couple of days off after the cycling. First my left knee hurt and then my right knee. Same today, but I dosed up with 1000 mg of acetomeniphen and tried it in the weight room. Feeling pretty good now.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 265. yay

Jujitsu was a real juggling act. Teaching both blue and white belts their respective techniques at the same time. Moving between the groups and fixing and polishing flaws. I'm getting a better feel for brief cues now to save time. G. asked about knives and I advised to just run. This occasioned more questions, so I got out a ruler and demonstrated how a knife can turn and cut a brachial artery just from countering a shove. Or how going to the ground gets about 10 stabs to the gut and one fatal slash to the femoral artery. Then said if quick escape was not possible pick up a chair or anything to fend the knife guy off. We adjourned to the BoB to work on ridge hand strikes and how they are most effective as a low and surprise attack to the groin.

From those asides we ran through the techniques. The blue belts got about halfway through theirs.

This was 60 minutes of LISS with an average HR of 100 bpm @ 65% of MHR burning 266 calories.