starting strength gym
Page 394 of 659 FirstFirst ... 294344384392393394395396404444494 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,940 of 6586

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The only things that concern me are the caber and the hammer. You fuck up on those and you and some bystanders could get hurt badly.

Weight: 266.

Jujitsu tonight was another juggling act between white and blue belts. Last week I called the principal of the school two of the kids went to and got the thumbs up on what I was teaching would not land them in trouble if they stuck to escaping and only following up with a strike unless their attacker pressed their attack. I told the kids about that, and added that if a teacher still pressed the issue with discipline to let me know and I would be there to support them and their parents with the school administration.

Since the knife issue had come up last week, I wanted to reinforce the point of not engaging if possible but flight. So I bought a big scary ass plastic Bowie knife at a Halloween store to make it easier to see the dynamics. I brought that, along with an EZ-out clip folder, and a flashlight as teaching tools and props. I brought them out and first showed them the Bowie to get their attention. Then showed them the folder as a reality check as to what they's more likely see in an attack. I showed them how easy it was to turn the blade when someone grabs the wrist and even how the unsharpened edge was an effective tool for leverage and attack. Then the use of a blade by an experienced attacker using it as an adjunct to stab, slash, and leverage tool with the Jujitsu techniques are taught with an empty hand. I think that last part really hammered the message home.

Then I explained the use of a bright AA flashlight as a distraction tool and a fist load for hammer fist and other strikes.

We finished off with some uppercut striking drills on the BoB. I had to amp down the kids on this because they wanted to deliver powerful knockout strikes. I had them slow down and concentrate on smoothly flowing alternating uppercuts to the underside of the jaw and the solar plexus. K, the grad student from the Karate guy's class, had a handle on this but all of them had trouble trying to achieve a more vertical upward striking movement that was powered by a slight bend and then extension of the knees to get the legs and hips into the strike too.

I got 60 minutes of LISS burning 367 calories with an average HR of 103 @ 67% of MHR and a peak HR of 119 bpm.

Weight: 266.5.

Push Press: 140 for 3 sets of 5.

High Pulls: 180 for 3 sets of 3.

Cable Rotations: 130 for 3 sets of 8.

External Rotations: 40 for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched.

Session was 62 minutes burning 558 calories with an average HR of 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR and a peak of 134 bpm.

Weight: 265.

General full body LISS today with rounds on the rower, SciFit, heavy bag, and Jacob's ladder. Session was 44 minutes burning 300 calories with an average HR of 106 bpm @ 69% of MHR and a peak of 122 bpm. Stretched.

Weight: 264.5.

Now that it's cooled down here a little I decided to pick up fallen branches and cut them up for the burn pile. Given the 2 1/2 acres, the process of collecting, dragging, and cutting up took 50 minutes burning 316 calories with an average HR of 104 bpm @ 68% of MHR and a peak of 125 bpm. No doubt from the chopping up.

Weight: 263.5.

Some more random LISS today. Medicine ball toss, SciFit, rower. Session ran 46 minutes burning 301 calories with an average HR of 106 bpm @ 69% of MHR and a peak of 117 bpm.

Weight: 263.5.

A fast deload week of 70% for the upcoming highland games.

Push Press: 95 for 3 sets of 3.

High Pulls: 125 for 3 sets of 3.

Cable Rotations: 90 for 3 sets of 8.

Session was 31 minutes burning 249 calories with an average HR of 114 bpm @ 81% of MHR and a peak of 124 bpm.

Weight: 265.5.

Jujitsu tonight finally got the blue belts through all their techniques. Lotta rough carpentry to refine. K, the adult white belt is improving each time. The last three blue belt techniques were variant entries and applications of Osoto Gari from a traditional Judo start, countering a roundhouse punch, and countering a double lapel grab. It provided a good vehicle for explaining why it is a bad idea to let the shoulders turn too much during a straight punch. It off balances the striker forward in the direction of the leading shoulder and makes them more susceptible to a takedown. Teaching leads to more learning for the teacher. This was a good example of it.

Session was 60 minutes burning 377 calories at an average HR or 104 bpm @ 67% of MHR and an peak HR of 124 bpm.

This self-enforced inactivity is making me nuts. But I want to go in to the games strong and uninjured, so I am taking it easy toady. Weather has been good for a ride on my Harley, but nuh-uh. No chance of getting in a scrape with some clueless minivan driver. Or some Amish graybeard on his tractor going into town. I went through Jujitsu carefully, given that I have two teen blue belts. Teen blue belts are the most dangerous people there are given their lack of developed control. These kids are good and responsible, but they still have problems.

I've been assembling my gear for the weekend. I went to Joann's for some kilt pins. The guy who lent me his kilt said he had a skean dhu I could use, but I have something similar already. He was a re-enactor for years and I don't think one will be appropriate for the games, but I'll bring it anyway just to mollify him. He also suggested some knee socks and I still have the blood stained red ones DB bought for me at the last minute at my first meet in Santa Barbara a few years ago.

starting strength coach development program
    You're going to do awesome.