starting strength gym
Page 398 of 659 FirstFirst ... 298348388396397398399400408448498 ... LastLast
Results 3,971 to 3,980 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight: 260.5.

Jujitsu tonight was me working with K. the grad student on his white belt technique. Very strong guy who doesn't lift. He is beginning to smooth out his circular movements, but has problems with leaning forward during execution. A sure way to get off balance and taken advantage of. I suggested he pay closer attention to how he steps and foot placement so he won't have to compensate by leaning his torso forward to connect on counters, blocks, and strikes. The two blue belts were left largely to their own devices to butt heads like young mountain goats. With an occasional admonition to slow down and take the techniques easier. I concluded with some discussion on the use of bright flashlights as a distraction and as yawara sticks. There's a two week gap before classes begin again November 8.

All in all, it was 60 minutes burning 429 calories at an average HR of 109 bpm @ 71% of MHR.

Weight: 260.5.

Rounds of rower, heavy bag, SciFit, and medicine ball. Went 49 minutes burning 389 calories with an average HR of 114 bpm @ 74% of MHR and a peak of 129 bpm.

Weight: 261.5.

Push Press: 120 for 3 sets of 5.

Power Snatches: Sets of 3, 65-95-105. Last rep a little unstable. Relearning this.

Cable Rotations: 120 for 3 sets of 8.

Session was 52 minutes burning 431 calories with an average HR of 117 bpm @ 76% of MHR and a peak of 134 bpm.

Did you find a good place to lift in Illinois, MEH? Or do you have a garage gym?

Oh man. I lift at the Southern Illinois University Rec Center. It is just great!

They have two platforms, 4 power cages, several tons of Rogue high temp bumper plates as their premier attractions. Plus 2 different kinds of trap bars and 4 bench press stations. Then there are 6 cable stack stations and dumbbells up to 150 lbs. There's still more stuff like smith machines and leg presses and reverse hyper stuff, but I don't use them. That is just the West weight room.

The East weight room has a bunch of Cybex and Hammer equipment along with more cable stacks. There are 3 other lesser sized weight, machine, and exercise rooms with stuff like that.

Several of the rooms and the hallways leading to them have the cardio equipment I have described that I use along with the ratmills, ellipticals, and recumbent bikes.

Did I mention an Olympic sized pool? That too.

There are no less than 3 rooms with heavy bags to take out my frustrations on. But then there's the Bob (AKA Dave) that I bought for the Karate guy and myself where we teach our respective martial arts at the city park district.

I'm in training heaven. I also amuse myself by tormenting the occasional snowflake with some of the t-shirts and ball caps I have added to my wardrobe.

Wow! Sounds like heaven for sure.

I'd love to have 'bells going up to 175s for bench pressing, but I'd take 150s and be happy as heck!

But to have access to a pool? My wife would be tired of me coming home wrinkled like a prune.

We live along a private lake and we have an in ground pool in the back yard. Which we just closed up for Winter. So we're pretty well covered in the water department.

Man did we luck out.

Weight: 261.

Did a Graded Exercise Protocol (GXP) for a change up. It consists of a 5 minute warmup to 85% of MHR, with 5 minutes at that level of intensity, and a 5 minute rampdown. I figger a little does of intensity might be good. Session was 15 minutes, burning 162 calories with an average HR of 125 bpm @ 81% of MHR and a peak of 136 bpm.

Weight: 261.

Not a stellar afternoon. I decided to try a fitness test on a Precor elliptical after several years of not knowing where to find one. Maybe it was a fluky day for the elliptical's electronics, but I got a no read based on a high heart rate. So I eked out another 45 minute session burning 290 calories with an average HR of 106 bpm @ 69% of MHR and a peak of 121 bpm.

I dunno if my cardio has detrained that badly or what. But I'll evaluate again in a week or two and reassess accordingly. About 3 years ago I would routinely score a VO2 Max of 45+ on that kind of machine.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 262.

OHP: 115 for 3 sets of 5.

Deadlift: Sets of 5, 135-225-275.

Hammer Curls: 95 for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched.

Session was 60 minutes burning 519 calories with an average HR of 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR.