starting strength gym
Page 406 of 659 FirstFirst ... 306356396404405406407408416456506 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,060 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yeah, especially when a BoB is under $300. I posted this on FB and one of my old CA buddies who is an 8th degree black belt in Hapkido showed me a BAS Striking System link. That was $1200+!

Both too rich for my blood. Plus then there'd be some heroic installation required. BoB just needs some sand or water in his base. The only drawback being kicks to the lower body.

IMG_20161115_0001.jpg

Weight: 264.

Felt draggy and loggy all day. But Jujitsu tonight, so conserve the little energy I had for doing justice to the people who want to learn.

Only E showed up. The others must have thought there was a break before next week's class. So I had the chance to work one on one with him and really fix his technique flaws. He's been the best attendee since I started. No doubt that new gi he got was a Christmas present and he's going to make sure he puts it to good use. So we worked the escapes and counters from garbs into transitional counters with wrist locks and arm bars. I took the time to correct the small wrist rotations that the late, great, Wally Jay did such a good job of explicating in one of the best MA books I have ever seen, Small Circle Jujitsu. We finished the night with me teaching him the nuances of where to target the knife hand and ridge hand strikes on the neck, and what part of the hand to strike with.

I burned 411 calories with and average HR of 102 bpm @ 66% of MHR. Unwinding now.

I did a GXP today. Stretched. It took a fair extra effort to drive the HR up to 130 bpm for the 85% portion of the protocol. Which is good, I think. It looks like my cardio capacity may be improving.

Weight: 263.

Hip Belt Squat: 385 for 3 sets of 5. PR!

Incline Press: 165 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer High Row: 325 for 3 sets of 5. PR!

Stretched.

Session ran 70 minutes burning 606 calories with an average HR of 118 bpm @ 77% of MHR and a peak of 136 bpm.

It was a real test of fortitude just to get to the gym this morning. The temperature has ranged from the 20's up to 63F yesterday over the course of several days. Then it dropped. The big one was from 58F to 34F from around 6:00 to 8:00 last night. Schools and other stuff were closed, including the Rec Center until 10:00. But me stay home? Ha! This is the guy who went out one night to run in snowmobile boots in a driving snowstorm in the late 70's when DB and I lived in Northern IL.

This weather has been crazy,a.blizzard that kept.schools.closed 2 days and temps down to 5 now at 12:30 am it is 54.

Weight: 263.

I planned on a shorter more intense session of cardio today. I mixed in some odds and ends like tire flips and "handball" along with the SciFit, heavy bag, and rower. Stretched.

I bought some cheap tennis balls for this because they were cheap and not as lively as a handball would have been. I've noticed my processing, predictive, and reactive speed slowing in the last year or so and I wanted to test it, along with getting some specific hand/eye coordination work, some improvement or maintenance of reaction times, and some conditioning for the hands. I think my hand speed is still good, but maybe that too is slowing down

It was pretty humbling. I used to play handball and racquetball in the 70's and into the 80's when it exploded onto the scene like Cross$h!t. Just without all the multi-modal hype. A great Winter activity too, as long as you didn't mind the occasional sunburst bruise from a ball. In my own case 20 stitches in the head from walking into a partner's backhand. Yeah, name the sport. I've figgered out how to get hurt in most of them. I stumbled, jinked, and missed most of the returning balls. My problem I think is old hard wiring from racquetball where I had a bigger racket face and longer reach. Hopefully with some more practice I'll improve.

The session ran 33 minutes burning 290 calories with an average HR of 121 bpm @ 79% of MHR and a peak of 139 bpm.

Took a lower intensity slightly longer routine today, all on lower body stuff; walking, the elliptical, recumbent bike, and stretches. Session was 40 minutes burning 254 calories with an average HR of 109 bpm @ 71% of MHR and a peak HR of 124 bpm.

Weight: 266.

DB Push Press: 65 lbs. L:3-3-3 R:3-2-1.

High Pulls from 18" Blocks: 175 for 3 sets of 3.

Cable Rotations: 160 for 3 sets of 5.

Session ran 58 minutes burning 452 calories with an average HR of 119 bpm @ 77% of MHR. I noticed my HR was recovering faster than before. So maybe it's further evidence of better cardio.

I finally got disgusted with my old phone with it's maxed out storage at 8GB and got a Motorola with 32GB yesterday. I'm still getting used to a slightly different operating system that functions, enters, and edits differently. I had to go back and get help to get all my contacts transferred and synched up with my truck. But it has some great features like spreadsheets. This'll make transfer of my lifting routine on my laptop to my phone seamless. I'm still waaay behind the curve on these new fangled thing-a-ma-bobs. I could never carry any kind of a cell phone into my workplace and I didn't get something more sophisticated than a flip phone until I retired in April 2016. No point in one.

I am sure you will get to like the new phone.I had a flip phone until last June. Now I would be lost without the Smart Phone . I have an app called Waze that I use for navigation and use the Bluetooth with Pandora and Sirus for music in my garage gym. I see you are doing your own thing as far as training, it sure makes it more enjoyable I'm sure.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh, don't mistake me. I LOVE the new phone. I just have a few minor things to figger out on it. Like answering a call. Silly huh?

Waze was popular back in LA with drivers and reviled by the people in the otherwise quiet residential neighborhoods who suddenly got streams of commuters blasting down their streets when one of the freeways got jammed. Now me? I have Google maps set on the terrain feature, and AllTrails for the hikes I have planned. There are only two moderately urban sectors in this region. One is across the river from St. Louis, and the other is an extended but even more lightly populated corridor along Route 13. Otherwise, many of the other counties down at the bottom of Illinois have populations of 6,000 or so people and many more deer. The "traffic report" is a seasonal thing sponsored by a local road construction company and consists of where there are lane closures for road work underway. It's a real stitch compared to SoCal. The only time I paid attention to traffic was during the weekend of the eclipse. That was a mess!

I used to listen to music all the time when lifting in my 30's through my 50's. At some point, I found it distracting and stopped.