Page 407 of 659 FirstFirst ... 307357397405406407408409417457507 ... LastLast
Results 4,061 to 4,070 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    IMG_20161115_0001.jpg

Weight: 266.

Both E and G the blue belts and one white belt showed up for the beginner's class. It was pretty touching given that I told them that they didn't need to feel obligated to help teach. I think they enjoy the passing on of the knowledge. So I worked with G one on one like I did with E last week to refine his technique. It's the smooth transitions and how to keep the arms and elbows in while turning the wrists and hips to distort the attacker's structure at this stage of learning for blue belts. We spent the last 10 minutes working on palm heel strikes, eye flicks with the fingers, and the falling step punch on the striking dummy re-named Dave.

Session burned 428 calories with an average HR of 113 bpm @ 73% of MHR.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 01-17-2018 at 10:19 PM.

Weight: 265.

A light and relatively brief upper body cardio day. Rounds of arms only for rower and SciFit, medicine ball toss, stretched. Session ran 32 minutes burning 197 calories with an average HR of 107 bpm @ 70% of MHR and a peak of 125 bpm.

IMG_20161115_0001.jpg

First intermediate class was not an auspicious beginning. E was a no show, but G was johnny on the spot. As it happens the advanced Karate class was in the next room prepping for an upcoming tournament which I learned after exchanging greetings with Sensei Wissman.

The wax on/wax off proceeded apace with G. Tonight was about teaching elbows in and down and smooth consistent flow of movement. He was curious about competing and tournaments, so I digressed and discussed the matter with him. Mushin Ryu does not offer competitions. The small joint manipulations, neck attacks, pressure points, and wrist locks do not lend themselves readily to such endeavors. Which is why Jigoro Kano took out those techniques when he systematized Judo. Whose major manifestation is in sports. It doesn't adapt well to the street, as I discovered early on as a rookie cop after 4 years of competing in NCAA Judo at SIU and ending just short of a black belt. Also, in the real world of self defense and saving your ass in some poorly lit venue, you don't fight for points. As in, you don't have to press an attack, rather deflect or counter an attack(er). G, despite some initial issues with attention early on, has come along nicely and retains much of the instruction imparted to him. I am learning pithy cues like "slower", "turn hips", and "elbows down" to fix technique flaws.

After my class ended, I saw that Sensei Wissman was conducting controlled sparring with his class. Gracious as always, he invited me in, introduced me, and we all exchanged bows. We turned Japanese. But then, the language and manners of Japan are not unlike the Latin of the Catholic church. A common bond between many martial artists no matter what their art. He was emphasizing what to expect during a tournament and I asked if spectators were allowed to cheer or yell. Yes, was his answer, it'll be good for them to deal with the background noise and distraction. So I called out advice and some good natured ribbing. Some of which was directed at a tough, scrappy teen girl green belt. She had pink sparring gloves and I called out to her to keep those pink gloves moving. She grinned back at me through her mouth guard. She was the exact opposite of the girls in California who I had to coach and urge to hit harder. Because that last strike felt like butterfly wings. I suspect she will go far in whatever endeavors she undertakes.

My teaching session burned 402 calories with an average HR of 102 bpm @ 66% of MHR.

OHP: 125 for 3 sets of 5.

Deadlift: Sets of 5, 135-225-275. My back has been dodgy for a few days and I wasn't sure I could do these at all. So I declared victory and retreated from the field of the platform.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 5, 135-140-145 PR!

Stretched. Session ran 54 minutes and burned 426 calories with an average HR of 114 @ 74% of MHR and a peak of 136 bpm.

Weight: 266.

Some short, easy LISS that generally met my parameters. Rounds on the rower and SciFit with stretching.

Session ran 30 minutes burning 202 calories with average HR of 108 bpm @ 70% of MHR and a peak of 126 bpm.

Weight: 267.

This week is a prime example of life getting in the way of lifting. A real triple whammy. My intermittent back problems flared up on Monday with two treatments by the chiro to get it reasonably back in good order. Then DB took a fall Tuesday night when one of our cats (as cats are wont to do) got underfoot. She faceplanted and amazingly got no broken nose, lost no teeth, and had no skull or brain damage from it. She DID get two black raccoon eyes, and a bruised upper lip and a bad nose bleed that took two trips to the ER that night to get under control. She's still nauseated from all the blood that drained into her stomach from the nose bleed. During the midst of this one of my mysterious foot ailments flared up. So between the two of us, I've been on caregiver watch for her and cancelled my two Jujitsu classes this week and just this morning got back into the gym.

Some reintroductory cardio today. The back is still a little tender. Upper body with rounds of arms only SciFit and rower, medicine ball toss, and heavy bag flurries. Session ran 31 minutes burning 227 calories with an average HR of 112 bpm @ 73% of MHR and a peak of 126 bpm.

When it rains it.pours. Hope both heal up quickly.

Thanks Jerry. I'm pretty good. I have a photo of DB and it looks really bad. It'd be worth my life to post it, she'd kill me.

I sure know how that looks. Last month my 88yo Aunt fell flat on her face. In a few hours it looked like she went 10 rounds and lost the fight.When I took her back to the nursing home she lives in the made me take her to the ER.4 hours later she was released after a MRI proved no bleeding in th brain. She was good to go in 2 days.She is a tough old Biddy.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh my, I feel for your wife. Hope she heals quickly.

Last July my wife was taking our new (67lb) pup out to put on his run. She bent over to pick up the snap, just as he thought she wanted to play. He jumped, and the top of his head hit the upper edge of her orbital socket and it instantly started to blacken. This was at about 5:30 a.m. and I didn't get up until about 9:30. It looked bad, but by 1:00 p.m. it was awful. Blood was pooling downward to the top of her cheek. I have to admit, I've given a few black eyes, had a couple myself, but never, ever, have I saw what she had. It's been about six months and if the light is right, it is still visible. She's getting really good at covering it with make up.

On a side note, I suggest she given an explanation thusly: "Oldster told me to mention I...fell down the stairs...yeah, the stairs..." (we don't have stairs.) Or... "Oldster said I have to tell everyone I ran into a door...umm, a door..."

She refused, but we still had a lot of fun with it!