starting strength gym
Page 41 of 659 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141541 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    but the slightly lower contact point sounds like it might be a worthwhile path to pursue.
    Yes, with a close grip you really should be touching at the very bottom of your pecs. You still need to concentrate on pushing straight up.

I sleep on my side and have no shoulder problems. I should caveat that by saying I rarely have shoulder problems that bother me when I sleep. An injury will cause me a bit of sleeplessness. In which case I have an extra pillow that is by Tempur-Pedic that is very VERY firm and lifts my head way up taking any pressure off the shoulder in question.

Got that, and I'll try that maybe next week when the delt is really better Oldster. Thanks. Man, my entire right upper quadrant was off kilter, so said she of the magic hands, my chiro. As you thought Oldster, the 1st and 2nd ribs were out but then so was my T2 and several other cervical vertebrae. Oh, and my right collar bone along with my right scapula. It felt a good deal better today.

5 minute warmup on the bike.

Overhead Press: 150 x 5 x 3 + 130 x 10. This seemed a little more difficult than it should after recent triumphs, but no problems or stalls, so nothing to complain about.

Bench Press: I started with the empty bar and the new tips from Oldster and Jamie and the delt, while much better, still felt a little kinked at the bottom end of the movement on the solar plexus. So I did 3 reps and decided to let some more resettlement of the skeletal frame and some more recovery happen to any offended ligaments or tendons. As such I didn't even attempt my scheduled cross armed front squat for today so as not to play fast and loose with the shoulder structure in some other unforeseen way.

I did a GXP and really spiked up my heart rate (unintentionally) to 146 bpm which is 91% of MHR. I think this happened because of the lingering congestion in my lungs. I have a huge wheezing issue when I exhale with some high pitched whistles that would set dogs to barking if we had any near our house. Still hacking up incredible loads of stuff. Foam rolling and stretching and then off to work for some more desk-to desk-combat to round out the week.

Jujitsu today with me teaching the OCD green belt chokes and such. He starts off well, but as the number of things he has to keep straight start accumulate his processing speed goes down fast. I'm starting to actually like the guy because he tries so hard. Things went pretty well until we got to what I think is the dangerous technique we teach that I have encountered so far, the rice bail throw and choke. It's similar to tomoe nage or stomach throw in judo but no feet or legs are used to propel the attacker over the shoulder. He comes at you in a low tackle and you side step and headlock him in a choke as you roll backward. His feet leave the ground in a forward roll and he lands on his back with your arm still wrapped around his neck and you are lying head to head in opposite directions. Anything less than a smooth execution by the person doing the throwing can get very bad for the attacker. Stopping partway at any point can leave the attacker hanging near vertical and floating while still held around he neck. Death or quadriplegia if the worst occurs. And of course this guy is constantly stopping on all his techniques to get them just right. I was nervous as hell through the entire teaching segment. He got halfway and stopped to shift his feet, and I tapped him to release. He didn't release right away so since his legs were out of position, I grabbed one and picked him up off the ground. The he figured out he should let go. After some brief and intense conversation he tried it again, and while a long way from perfect, he managed to get the throw and choke mostly right. His main problem on this throw is wanting to throw at a 45 degree angle rather than straight backward, and the way he moves his feet is the root cause.

I do not envy you teaching that technique.

The upper arms felt like they had been beaten with a shinai yesterday. This is a split bamboo stick that one of my shotokan teachers would use on us if we dropped our hands during stroking and blocking drills. Strange too because nothing I did yesterday should have had that effect.

5 minute warmup on the bike.

Bench Press: The first warmup with the bar was making my right delt unhappy at the bottom so I bailed. I figured I'd try dips to see how those were, and they were even worse. Hurt bad. So I went on to a light session with the overhead press. 130 x 8 x 3 + 95 x 10. That at least felt OK. Frustrating, but you have to accept the cards you're dealt at any particular point in time. So, rest the shoulder by avoiding benching for a while.

Sumo Deadlift: 355 x 3. A minor victory here. I'd failed at getting 3 a few times with this when I screwed up my progression a few months ago, but 3 was easy and I had at least one more in the tank.

Foam roller and stretched. The delt was tweaked enough from the dips so even the shoulder stretches didn't feel so good.

Good for you for having the sense to bail and bench another day.

5 minute warmup on the bike. (Medium Day)

Overhead Press: 150 x 5 x 5.

Pull Ups: bodyweight 5 x 5.

Pinch Grip: 145 for 26 seconds.

Foam roller and stretching. I'm dispensing with bench presses for as long as it takes to get this right delt healed. That ill-considered attempt at dips Sunday really hurt and set me back at least a few days of not a week or more. So this is my penance. All overhead pressing all the time for now.

Sorry to hear it. Have you tried deep tissue massage yet? I know that my massage therapist has done things for my shoulders that I would have never dreamed a year ago. I am as pain free in my shoulders as I've been since a teenager. Last 2 sessions she has concentrated on my triceps up to my rear delts. Before that was my entire shoulders, before that was my chest to my chin which will be the next time too. Can't believe what a difference that finding out much of my pain stemmed from the medial head of my triceps and then working upward has made. Unbelievable.

The delt is feeling much better so far this morning thanks to resting it from benching and returning to a full scale blitz of anti-inflammatories and diligent application of the ice pack at work and home. I'm beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel, perhaps. I think this is really more about inflammation from my own stupidity and less about a binding up of fascia that some deep tissue work might break up Oldster. If this lingers on a few weeks, then I'll give that a shot.

I did a running GXP this morning, and finished off with the usual foam roller and stretching. The shoulder mobility swings did not twinge the right delt so that too is another indication of progress.

starting strength coach development program
    No jujitsu last night, a pipe broke and flooded the place. The delt continues to heal and the twinge at all angles and vectors of movement is nearly undetectable.

5 minute warmup on the bike. (Light Day)

I tried a set with the empty bar for bench presses to see if the delt was actually as good as it feels. Almost nothing to fear even at the bottom of the movement which is where the problem has been worst. But still, not quite zero issue so, a little more rest and recovery.

Overhead Press: 130 x 8 x 3 + 10.

Back Extension: 90 x 3 x 10

Foam roller and stretching.