starting strength gym
Page 423 of 659 FirstFirst ... 323373413421422423424425433473523 ... LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,230 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Felt draggy today, probably still sapped from the all day Expo Sunday. But, into the gym for a low intensity bout. Rounds of speed and heavy bags, elliptical, Jacob's Ladder, SciFit, rower, and stretching. Session was 40 minutes burning 270 calories with an average HR of 107 bpm @ 67% of MHR and a peak of 122 bpm.

Home and tired. A nap may be in order.

IMG_20161115_0001.jpg

If yesterday was draggy last night really sucked. DB tripped over our black cat and ended up in the ER getting 12 staples for a nasty scalp wound. Up until midnight regrouping from that one. So today was a long, slow, slog dragging myself along.

BUT!

I have a commitment to my students in Jujitsu, so a took a long nap to try to recharge a little. I was actually hoping for no shows, so I could limp home and kick back. But K and E both showed up, late, but they showed. I ran them both through the Blue Belt course and E did reasonably well. Good enough to promote to Blue Belt 1st Degree. K as well is coming on strong and will not remain at that level for very long.

Too tired for some other socializing I could maybe have managed under other circumstances. Sorry to the HMWHC and a huge thanks to P, who dropped off some pork butt as a was in full recovery mode. Hopefully, a good night's sleep tonight, and some lifting will happen tomorrow.

Back under the iron.

OHP: Sets of 5, 125-130-130. Last set was not easy on reps 4 and 5. Fractional plates next.

Deadlift: Sets of 5, 230-235-240. Slow and steady on this.

There was no parallel grip curl bar to be found anywhere this morning, so no hammer curls today. Just as well, I was running out of gas fast.

Session was 55 minutes long burning 440 calories with an average HR of of 118 bpm @ 77% of MHR and a peak of 136 bpm.

My Polar heart rate monitor was erratic again today, so I finally took the plunge and bought a Fitbit.

Upper body emphasis today. Arms only SciFit and rower, medicine ball tosses, speed bag, stretched. Session was 31 minutes burning 334 calories with an average HR of 110 bpm @ 71% of MHR and a peak of 126 bpm.

IMG_20161115_0001.jpg

K and G showed tonight. So I alternated back and forth between Blue Belt and Blue Belt 1st degree techniques. This is getting easier to shift between the two. Between techniques I had them working on rising and upward curving vertical fist strikes to the solar plexus and chin along with low ridge hand strikes to the balls. All three of these are hard to see coming when at close range (12" or so) but the low ridge hand strike is nearly impossible to see, anticipate, or react to until it hits. Especially if you come in with your shoulder dropped forward over it. All the other guy sees is an opportunity for maybe a head butt, and then he feels the music of the spheres resonate through his central nervous system.

The session burned 420 calories with an average HR of 99 bpm @ 65% of MHR and a peak of 145 bpm. The Fitbit is working quite well. I don't have to double transcribe my numbers like I had been doing. It also confirmed graphically what I had suspected about this style of Jujitsu and the cardio demands it puts on you. It's spiky, with sharp peaks and briefly lowered plateaus between technique executions and demonstrations.

Did a GXP today. 18 minutes burning 259 calories with an average HR of 127 @ 77% of MHR and a peak of 137 bpm.

I've been struggling against the blues for the last few days. But I drug my sad ass to the weight room again to battle the demons with some iron therapy.

Barbell Push Press: 135-3, 140-3, 145-2. The DB version of this seems to have been adversely affecting my shoulders given the difficulty of controlling the eccentric portion of the movement, so I went back to the barbell.

High Pulls: Sets of 3, 95-145-165-175. Every-single-platform was being used for other dumb-ass stuff this morning. A step up for lunges, a wider foot base for cable rows, etc. So I had to pull from the floor. Which was different enough after months of doing it from an 18" platform that it was taking it's toll on my back. I declared victory after one workset, having begun to feel some shifts in my lumbars.

Cable Rotations: 150 for 3 sets of 5.

Session ran 44 minutes burning 555 calories with an average HR of 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR and a peak of 158 bpm.

Happily, the lifting seems to have pulled me a little out of my tail spin.

Most of us gave down days. Just be glad you have a few things to keep you going.

Thanks Jerry, and an excellent point. Most of my downs are about DB's arthritis and injuries. I can actually see her becoming infirm before my eyes and I can't get her to get some exercise to regain some of her strength and balance. She's still in a lot of pain from her fall, with bruises on her knee and shoulder, along with persistent headaches. It makes me want to weep when I remember what a strong, active and vital woman she was.

starting strength coach development program
    Upper body stuff today. Rounds of speed bag, arms only SciFit and rower, medicine ball tosses and stretching. This ran 30 minutes burning 414 calories with an average HR of 122 bpm @ 80% of MHR and a peak of 136 bpm.