starting strength gym
Page 428 of 659 FirstFirst ... 328378418426427428429430438478528 ... LastLast
Results 4,271 to 4,280 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    After a (finally!) self imposed rest (and taken this time) day, back for some fun in the gym.

Rounds with the speed bag @ 2/2 cadence, tire flips, 30 lb. Rogue ball slams, SciFit, the BoxingMaster, and stretching. Apparently one of the adult staff in the Rec Center saw me belaboring the BoxingMaster because he asked how I liked it. Profuse thanks ensued for having moved into a public accessible area. I say adult with no disparagement of the student staff there. The young ladies and men at the reception counter are always unfailingly polite and may not always have answers to some of my questions, but they work hard to try to find them out.

Workout.jpg

HR was 112 bpm @ 73% of MHR.

I haven't done singles in over 6 months. So, time to test myself.

Push Press: 155-160-165.

High Pull From Blocks: 205-210-215.

Cable Rotations: 150 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

Weights.jpg

Average HR was 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

IMG_20161115_0001.jpg

Quite a productive session of Jujitsu for all concerned. As I walked in, K presented me with a gift of black leather coasters embossed with the words "Black Belt" and a hachimaki with the word Sensei silk screened onto it with a faux Asian script. Pretty nice.

Which was well timed, because dope that I am, I suddenly woke up to the fact that K is not just a starving grad student, but one with a cinema and photography major. This finally sunk in over the weekend after a conversation we had about a screenplay he had written. Which took us down the track of my book on self defense for women and my wanting illustrations for it. After some rumination, I decided this morning to propose a project for him to price out for me. Two birds with one stone. I help him survive and he helps me complete my book.

G showed up too. He needs some coaching and reminders on technique, especially the need for pivoting footwork for several takedowns. Once the defender starts a pivot, it engages the legs and hips and draws the attacker in a circular motion that is hard to recover from or brace against. The result? Ker-splat! Hurt feelings and hurt body. When you can hit someone with the planet, nothing good ensues for them.

K has largely smoothed out his techniques this week. His footwork and transitions are near flawless. A minor lingering problem with setting up an attacker's wrist for a very painful and controlling torture hold was the only minor thing I had to correct for him tonight.

Jujitsu.jpg

Average HR was 112 bpm @ 73% of MHR.

Today was rounds of BoxingMaster, handball, speed bag, side bends, ball toss, rower, and stretching.

Workout.jpg

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 81% of MHR.

One of the gifts K gave me last night, the Sensei hachimaki, occupying a place of honor. The shadow box contains the belts (obi's) that I wore during my promotion through 9 ranks in the pursuit of making the cut for the lowest rank of black belt.

Sensei.jpg

The photo below the shadow box was taken when MB and I were promoted, and the frame was signed by everyone in the main dojo.

It was very touching and humbling when the Karate guy started calling me Sensei. Having used that term of honor and distinction myself since I was 15 years old, it still feels strange when I hear it used to address me. Receiving a tangible representation of it really brought me up short last night. It resonates more powerfully as time goes on.

Another trip down Bro Lane.

Lateral Raise: Sets of 8, 80-90-100.

Rope Pressdown: Sets of 8, 185-185-190.

Hammer Curls: 130 for 3 sets of 8.

Stretched.

Weights.jpg

Average HR was 118 bpm @ 77% of MHR.

IMG_20161115_0001.jpg

K was the only one who showed tonight. Which had me working one on one with him. It was illustrative of how doing that can reveal technique flaws to correct. His take away tonight included foot turn in and turn outs. Interestingly, this has a fair amount in common with what a close and careful reading of SS technique for the squat and how to engage and deploy hip strength and drive effectively. Since so much of this art uses the turning of hips to add strength and torque to joint locks and takedowns. But if your feet are not oriented correctly, you can't deploy it effectively. My practice of the striking arts by comparison talks about engaging the hips in hand strikes, but foot orientation never entered the equation in them. As I recall, not even my own teacher, Master Bellman talked much about it, but I have discovered that when someone is having technique problems, foot orientation is often at the bottom of them. So to speak.

His other take away was relaxing the shoulders and dropping the hands. Both allow for faster and more fluid execution. As well as improving leverage by reducing the defenders moment arm and better body and hip alignment, as well as inducing bad moment arms in the attacker. As in, keep the hands close to the body and nearer to the center of mass below the sternum. I timed out technique execution at around 5 seconds moving slowly and 1.5 - 2 seconds at near full speed. Serving once again as the reason for real fights in the real world generally get resolved so quickly.

Jujitsu.jpg

Average HR was 109 bpm @ 71% of MHR.

Today was supposed to be upper body only. Saturday and Sunday were taken up with a 5.5 hour drive to the De Kalb area for a graduation, and my back needed the recovery. Too much sitting still and driving. As it happened, the Rec Center guy who asked me about the BoxingMaster crossed my path and told me where two more heavy bags were sequestered away. Some cool bags too.

A round bag:

One Bag.jpg

Which is great for throwing vertical fist, uppercut, and ridge hand strikes, along with the more usual suspects boxers use.

And a long bag:

Two Bags.jpg

Most heavy bags are mounted about knee high at the bottom. This one was 2-3 inches from the floor. Which makes it perfect for the kind of low shin kicks, knee kicks, shovel kicks, foot sweeps, and takedowns Mushin Ryu teaches. So I worked some of those in too.

Today was rounds of the speed bag, SciFit and rower arms only, medicine ball toss, round bag strikes, foot strikes, and stretching.

Workout.jpg

Average Hr was 127 bpm @ 83 of MHR.

More singles.

OHP: 45-95-125-140-145-150/0.

Deadlift: 135-225-275-315-335/0.

These are intended to see where I am. Apparently I have some hard digging to get back to a a 165 OHP again. I sabotaged myself in deadlifts through a combination of bad judgement and arrogance. I should have gone to a mixed grip on the last set and lost it when the bar began to slide out of my hand. Plus, the bar I was using had relatively smooth knurling. There were other better bars there to use, but . . .

Weights.jpg

Average HR was 126 bpm @ 82% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    I decided to get a briefer more intense session of cardio done today. It turned out to be not all that brief and waaay more intense than I had intended.

Rounds with the speed bag, SciFit, handball, long bag kicks and sweeps, side bends, stretching.

Workout.jpg

Average HR was 139 bpm @ a blistering 90% of MHR! WOOF!