starting strength gym
Page 436 of 659 FirstFirst ... 336386426434435436437438446486536 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,360 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Cap.jpg

A great session of Jujitsu tonight. All my blue belt 1st degrees showed, E, G, and K. The last, despite his ailing back and neck from his auto accident weeks ago. Lotta chattering from E&G, being boys in their mid teens and I had to stifle the nonsense a few times to get them on course. Both of them had a fair retention of what they had learned so far albeit requiring some reminders and tuning up. K, who had JUST been promoted to this rank before his accident was getting to learn and practice these for the first time and was doing pretty well.

While tuning up some of E's technique on an arm and wrist lock counter to a front choke grab, he yelped as I gripped his hand to invert it and his wrist while rotating his whole arm counter clockwise. I know I have a strong grip, but I throttle it down while teaching to avoid that kind of reaction. It's counterproductive to the student learning if I just try to crush him. So I asked what happened, did I grab too hard? No, as it turned out, when I gripped his hand, I had managed to catch him at the joints of the index and small metacarpals. He said it felt like an electric current ran up his hand, wrist, and elbow and no, had not squeezed all that hard. So I tried it with G and then with K who is about the same size and build I am. Same response from them too.

So, after 14 years of practicing this art, I learned something new tonight and worked to pinpoint what I had done, refine it, and pass along the technique. Learning from teaching. Quite a revelation.

Jujitsu.jpg

Average HR was 113 bpm @ 73% of MHR.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 08-18-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Push Press: 160, 2-2-1.

High Pulls From Blocks: 200, 3-3-2.

Pretty good performance, considering two 5 lb. jumps on both lifts from last session. A little ambitious at my stage of lifting and age, and I anticipated maybe sets of singles was all I might be able to manage. But, no.

Attachment 6594

Average HR was 119 bpm @ 77% of MHR.

Between fast times this weekend on the explosive day on Saturday and a significant workout trying to resolve drainage and flooding problems from rain and our downspouts, my lower back was in the hurt locker. This included some significant disentangling of water hoses along with deployment of a snake to break the drainpipe jam that periodically floods the (thankfully!) tile floors of our study.

So, my chiro fixed me. Much, much better than new.

Rounds of low back friendly arms only SciFit, speed bag, medicine ball toss, round bag strikes, and stretching.

Workout.jpg

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 81% of MHR despite leisurely walks to the water fountain and the widely separated equipment stations between HARD(!) bouts of energetic activity. Gotta love the technology that allows one to know what you have done.

Great days in the gym, expected or not, sometimes come with an unpleasant price tag. The first crack on Monday held all day. But I woke up Tuesday morning with the same problem except slightly worse. My right side neck and shoulder blade along with my lower right side were laid up. So, back for another crack. Held well this time, along with some instructions from the chiro to do some foam rolling on my back and iliotibial bands. Resting up another day (today) might let the adjustment set in better, but nope.

The answer? Bro work.

Lateral Raise: 132 for 3 sets of 8.

Rope Handle Tricep Pressdown: 220 for 3 sets of 8.

Rope Handle Hammer Curls: 200 for 3 sets of 8.

Lotta stretching and foam rolling. So far so good.

Cap.jpg

No I showed tonight. Maybe school and other family things were all too much. Ah well, we'll see.

But K showed up. Back and neck injuries and all. So lots of care taken on the throws and neck cranks tonight as we worked on his blue belt 1st degree techniques. As is becoming more clear to me foot placement, stepping, and hip turns play such an important role in this art. Even the seemingly minor things like direction of the pivots.

Today was rounds of speed bag, handball, rower, long bag striking and kicking flurries, side bends, stretched.

Average HR was 128 bpm @ 81% of MHR.

Odds and ends. Rounds of SciFit, speed bag, rower, medicine ball, stretched and used foam roller.

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 81% of MHR.

Cap.jpg

K showed tonight for intermediate class. We worked on the take downs for the blue belt 1st degree rank. Which are pretty basic. Appropriate building blocks for the more complex techniques as a student progresses. I spent a fair amount of time explaining and demonstrating kuzushi, the Japanese word for inducing poor balance in an attacker by use of pushing, pulling, coupled with effective posture, stepping, and hip turns. It's a pity I didn't understand the concept better when I was practicing Judo.

From there we started at the beginning involving escapes and counters from chokes. He's grasping the basics, but requires some polishing of the techniques.

Back to the iron mill. I've taken a little time off, given a spiking RHR of 7 points above my usual. Figgered those big days in the gym ate into my reserves a little more than was desirable and left me slightly overtrained. It began to fall a couple of days ago, but I had to report for jury duty yesterday so training was postponed. My 10th call over the decades and never impaneled once. I decided a 90% reset might be in order.

OHP: 120 for 3 sets of 5.

Deadlift: 235 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched and foam rolled.

Average HR was 126 bpm @ 82% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    Rounds of speed bag, ball slam with 30 lb. Rogue, cable crunch, striking the round bag, stretching.

Average HR was 128 bpm @ 82% of MHR.