starting strength gym
Page 439 of 659 FirstFirst ... 339389429437438439440441449489539 ... LastLast
Results 4,381 to 4,390 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Cap.jpg

Ken showed tonight. We got through the entire blue belt 1st degree repertoire with only a few digressions. Then in the last five minutes he ran through the white belt course quite well. Good job. One of the digressions involved a question about having a gun pointed at you. Which is get off line of the muzzle, control the weapon, and remove the weapon. This presumes the bad guy's proximity to you and judging that they want more than just your money. If that's it, give them the money and be done with it. But if it looks like they are going to take you down or as a captive, you have nothing to lose. So I demonstrated one of the basic disarm techniques. A good night all around. Ken's progress is outstanding.

Average HR was 115 bpm @ 74% of MHR.

Hip Belt Squats: 345 for 3 sets of 5.

Incline Press: 170 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer High Row: 300 for 3 sets of 5.

This morning consisted of rounds of speed bag, side bend, SciFit, handball, elliptical, medicine ball toss, and stretching.

Average HR was 133 bpm @ 87% of MHR.

Digging back up from the reset.

Push Press: 145 for 3 sets of 3.

High Pulls From Blocks: 185 for 3 sets of 3.

Cable Rotations: 130 for 3 sets of 5.

Average HR was 122 bpm @ 80% of MHR.

I tried a little experiment today. This cardio session was the warm up and drills for Jujitsu. I was curious and wanted to get what I thought would be a relatively brief and less intense outing.

This consisted of dynamic head circles, arm and shoulder circles, hip and torso circles, stretches of back, shoulders, and hamstrings, wrist and finger stretches. This was followed by mat drills including punching and kicking from the ground, along with breakfalls. From there, standing blocking and striking drills. Several striking drills, these including actually striking a heavy bag instead of the air. Strikes consisting of fists, knife hands, palm heel, dead hand, back fist, elbows front and rear high and low, ridge hands high and low, hammer fists front and rear. Just for funsies I even put in a round of speed bag. Which is not part of the warmup routine.

Turned out to be a good deal more intense than I had perceived or anticipated. Average HR was 133 bpm @ 85% of MHR. Woof!

Cap.jpg

Late entry. Internet woes. A comedy of errors of sorts, but all in all, it ended up quite well. I saw Garrett getting back into his mother's mini van as I pulled into the parking lot as it pulled away. Hm. I was running a little late, but even so with 10 minutes to spare. No sign of Ken's Volvo in the lot either.

sigh.

I went in anyway, figgering this was going to be the night of the supreme no shows. But, a long standing rule I learned in aerospace was, give em 15 minutes. So I check my contacts and spot an email from Garrett, "Hey Sensei! Do we have Jujitsu tonight?" Sent him one back, "YEP."

Hey presto! Ken showed a few minutes later, and then a few more minutes later, Eric the new guy did too. What ensued was coaching the coach, Ken, in teaching the basics. Warm up drills, blocking drills, breakfalls, mat drills, punching drills, stepping drills, and striking vital target areas. Ken realized he had to process what he knew in a different way in order to teach it. Which made me realize why Master Bellman gets even his lower ranking students teaching early on.

A good night for all.

Average HR was 103 @ 67% of MHR.

Lateral Raise: 125 for 3 sets of 8.

Rope Handle Triceps Pressdown: 210 for 3 sets of 8.

Rope Handle Hammer Curls: 210 for 3 sets of 8.

Average HR was 123 bpm @ 80% of MHR.

My right knee has been acting up for the last couple of days. This is the knee I got injured for me free of charge at age 19 in Judo. It only gimps me a little every other year or so, nothing incapacitating, but uncomfortable even so. Plus my lower back is feeling the two a day breakfalls I did on Wednesday. So some moderation was in order.

Rounds of speed bag, cable crunch, SciFit, rower and stretching.

Average HR was 119 bpm @ 77% of MHR.

Cap.jpg

Ken and Ethan showed tonight. I had them working escapes from chokes both from the front, chokes from the rear, and lapel grabs. About half the total techniques for blue belt 1st degrees. They had some good "what-if" questions which slowed down the teaching but provides them with some ability to question and develop their skills and me to have to consider the alternatives they propose. A little tuning up of where exactly to strike and how to align the forearms and hands was needed to maximize the effect on the attacker.

I then finished off having them work on a technique for defending others from a front choke using a thumb in the attacker's trachea from behind and shoving a fist in the lower back to take them backwards and down.

Average HR was 102 bpm @ 66% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    The plan for today was overhead presses and deadlifts. Alas, my right wrist somehow got tweaked last night from demonstrating or having Ken or Ethan (probably Ken) perform techniques on me. Also my lower back was still feeling the strain from earlier in the week and both my shoulders felt like I slept on them wrong. The wages of sin and age I guess. The wrist was the real problem. No way could it support a locked out press. I dosed up with Vitamin I and went with Plan B.

Which were rounds of speed bag (I didn't dare try the hard impact on a heavy bag), stationary bike, elliptical, and stretched.

Average HR was 130 bpm @ 84% of MHR.