starting strength gym
Page 44 of 659 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144544 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    It feels better incrementally each time I test it with an empty bar in the bench press. But I did the face pulls this morning and they seemed to help a little more. I'll have a better handle on how much by my Friday session. It's just so slow, and I haven't experienced this before.

Looks interesting. I'll have to look at the youtube stuff at home. They don't let it on the PC's at work. Thanks.

I'm gonna need some hands on coaching to overcome some teen hardwiring from tossing hay bales to get my form down properly.
    My form is the pits, too. Never did upright rows in my life, but damn if I don't try to muscle it on the heavy weights. Still.

Sully, you're not contemplating doing upright row are you? Those things can be death on shoulder impingement syndrome. By the way, are you going to give the kids a campfire story about the effect of the full moon? They created a thread just for us on it which is now on page 2 of Ends and Pieces.

Jujitsu last night with the kids all doing pretty well, even the gargoyle. His older sister, the one we call Devil Girl, had been doing well too until the last 20 minutes when she completely unraveled and started screwing around. Other than that they were very attentive.

Adult class had us working on guess what? Standing side headlock escapes! Of all things, Sully you must have sent some mucho mysterioso message to Master Bellman yesterday. He introduced a slight variation that makes perfect sense but I hadn't done before. It starts with you bulldogged in at the side of the attacker. You step so you are perpendicular to him and deliver palm heel strikes to the groin from the front and rear simulataneously with both hands in a clapping like implosion. No where for the boys to hide in that scenario. The grab his wrist with your outside arm and twist it outward. The new variant was to place the inside hand his shoulder and press or shove it forward over your head while using that as a platform for a fast backing up. At the same time pulling his arm outward and upward at the wrist. The important part is to place the inside hand as close to the delt as possible, rather than inward by the scapula. The leverage and strength curve is better at the delt. We also did some manipulation of the arms across the center line like I described on the Saturday seminar. The blue belts were utterly amazed how grabbing the other arm and crossing it over the center line weakens the arm they are using for an attack. Then again lest I sound too blase and jaded here, it amazes me too. I've just been exposed to elements of that principle before, this too is a new variant for me as well.

I slept better last night than I have in quite a while. The delts didn't start aching causing me to semi wake up and roll over a bunch like has been the case lately. The right delt feels a little better too. I printed off that link, Jamie but didn't have the time last night to look at the youtube links at home. I'll do it tonight while Dearly Beloved looks over at me and rolls her eyes then shakes her head at my OCDness.

Sully, you're not contemplating doing upright row are you?
    No, no, I have no use for those. I need to master the power clean, but I'm making the classic rookie mistake of bending my elbows before the jump on the heavy weight. I'm going to deload a bit for form and try two things: 1. Turning my elbows out more laterally, which is supposed to help break the habit, and 2. consciously try to incorporate the "scoop" so that I'm jumping higher on the thigh. I'll get it.

Adult class had us working on guess what? Standing side headlock escapes! Of all things, Sully you must have sent some mucho mysterioso message
    Too funny. The technique sounds neat. Interestingly, my Sabum Nim (for Tang Soo) is here to visit me right now, to promote me to Third Dan, and then for a trip to Toronto with my wife and I. I'll try this out on him.

By the way, are you going to give the kids a campfire story about the effect of the full moon? They created a thread just for us on it which is now on page 2 of Ends and Pieces.
    (Looks.) Oh, wow. I had no idea. I will post this afternoon! Maybe I'll tell the story of the Security Guard With a Pulse of Twenty, or the Day of the Tall Ships.

It'll be easy.

I've kept a diary.

Congratulations on the upcoming promotion. A diary huh? I have pretty good long term memory and recall, (near term is getting a little shaky) and while I didn't keep a diary I can summon up an entire anecdote from an incomplete sentence as an aid to jogging my memory. I have a 14 page list of such notes, and I find as I write to flesh them out it hauls up more from the graveyard of dreams. I'm working on another book that I got permission from Michael Connelly to title Tales of the Blue Religion. He used the term in several of his Harry Bosch crime novels, and since I like and respect him and his work I asked permission. Just your anecdote titles sound great. I can hardly wait to see.

Nice description of the techniques. I'll have to remember those. The last time I did a standing headlock escape drill, I got a thumb in the eye (I was the one doing the headlocking). Not on purpose, but it's effective, I'll tell you that.

If you're interested, I have rendered a bunch of our techniques into a narrative list of 4-5 one sentence steps that make sense to me that I can send you. I'll even translate them into something more intelligible than standard Knurling-speak if need be.

starting strength coach development program
    Count me in. sullivandotjonathonatgmaildotcom. Thanks.