starting strength gym
Page 440 of 659 FirstFirst ... 340390430438439440441442450490540 ... LastLast
Results 4,391 to 4,400 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Since I always thought the What Are You Wearing Today? thread was absurd and worthy of mockery, here goes. Today's gym wear was my Deplorables ball cap, my maroon "Retired, Under New Management, See Spouse for Details" t-shirt, grey Walmart shorts with wedding tackle suspension, and Walmart Bravo work boots.

OHP: 130 for 3 sets of 5.

Deadlifts: 255 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched.

Both of which were EZ-PZ. I broke out my 4" Best belt embossed with the runes for "UP" on the back. Back on the Left Coast the Chinese character for strength was popular with many lifters, especially the Asians. But, even though I have been heavily invested in many things Asian since my teens, lifting always seemed to be a thing apart. Especially given the disdain for lifint among the martial arts folks whose ranks I was and am a part of. So, runes.

Upper body emphasis conditioning today. Rounds of speed bag, SciFit and rower arms only, heavy bag, medicine ball toss, and stretching.

Average HR was 126 bpm @ 82% of MHR.

Channeling my inner bro again.

Lateral Raise: 125 for 3 sets of 8.

Rope Handle Tricep Pressdown: 210 for 3 sets of 8.

Rope Handle Hammer Curls: 210 for 3 sets of 8.

Average HR was 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

My right trap was really creaky this morning, so lateral raises were something of a trial and although I stretched, I had to forego dislocates.

My right trap is still boogered up. Badly enough that it kept me awake for a good long while last night. So, time for more juggling to let the trap get better. Rounds of stationary bike and elliptical to let the pissed off part recover.

Average HR of 140 bpm @ 91% of MHR.

Hip Belt Squats: 355 for 3 sets of 5.

Incline Press: 175 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer High Row: 310 for 3 (maybe 4?) sets of 5. My attention wandered while I was checking things on my phone between sets and I lost count.

Average HR was 122 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

The Dark Lady.jpg

It was a gorgeous Autumn day in the upper 60's. The roads had dried out from yesterday's unexpected showers. It was thus, the Dark Lady enticed me on to the roads less traveled. I selected the Bald Knob Cross as the destination. Since I don't like highways, I took Hickory Ridge Road to the cross. It's a magnificent sight and sits at one of the highest points in the state.

Bald Knob Cross.jpg

The roads there run into and out of hollers alternating between deep shade, dappled sunlight, and a few broad sun-lit vistas. Lots of blind curves too. You can tell it's an election year, the roads have a fair amount of repair on them. That's the good news, the bad news is that the repairs consist of chip and tar and heavy on the chip gravel. So you get loose gravel on curves. Which coupled with the sharp transition from light to dark made it hard to tell what road conditions ahead might be like. Along with the falling black walnuts. Did I mention they act like ball bearings under tires? Not a big deal with four wheels, but a huge one with with only two. I managed to avoid all but one of them, where a clump of a dozen lay on the road. Brake fast, and recover quickly when the front tire slew right. Along a downhill curve on a hogback ridge, I might add, where I would have had a hairy trip down for 50 feet or so bouncing off trees and rock outcroppings.

Try dealing with that shit Steve McQueen.

The homeward leg was through Alto Pass along Skyline Drive, then to Old 51. Both of which have a lot of curves, but are well paved and banked and with magnificent views and vistas of their own. Lotta fun letting her wind out a little and stretching my cornering skills a little.

The ride was about two hours long, burned 1306 calories, with an average HR of 119 bpm @ 77% of MHR. Woof!

Motorcycle.jpg

Today was strictly striking drills. Speed bag, long bag with low kicks, sweeps, stomps, back kicks, and knee kicks, BoxingMaster with jabs and crosses and left hook punches to the liver, round bag with uppercuts palm heels, dead hands, knife hands.

Average HR was 133 @ 86% of MHR.

I decided to randomize this more today with SciFit, rower, elliptical, Jacob's Ladder, medicine ball toss, and stretching.

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 82% of MHR.

Push Press: 150 for 3 sets of 3.

High Pull From Blocks: 190 for 3 sets of 3.

Cable Rotations: 150 for 3 sets of 5.

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 82% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    Upper body emphasis today. Speed bag, SciFit and rower arms only, heavy bag, medicine ball toss, stretching. This facility is just amazing. They recently bought the beachball sized Rogue medicine balls which are much easier on the fingers and wrists when catching it on the eccentric portion of the ballistics.

Average HR was 126 bpm @ 83% of MHR.