starting strength gym
Page 447 of 659 FirstFirst ... 347397437445446447448449457497547 ... LastLast
Results 4,461 to 4,470 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Brotvional work this morning.

Rear Delt Lateral Raises: 145-8, 147-8, 150-6.

Rope Handle Standing Triceps Extensions: Sets of 8 with 165.

Rope Handle Pulldown Curlz: Sets of 8, 70-100-140.

Claw Curls: Sets of 8, 50-100-110. This was some long neglected grip work with IronMind's great equipment:

I'm using a cable stack and obviously with far less weight. Just an adjunct for Jujitsu. Grabbing loose dangly parts on various places of the body or skin on the torso, legs, or even face hurts like a b@$t@rd and induces a shock and freeze response for several seconds in an attacker. Which can afford the defender some time for even worse counters or control techniques.

Stretched.

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 82% of MHR.

Cap.jpg

We're under a Winter storm watch with 4-6" of snow expected and I was anticipating no one showing up. It is Southern Illinois after all and that's a lot of snow at once to deal with. It had started as I was leaving home for the park district. But, not only did Emma show up, so did Ethan. I presented Emma with her white belt and showed her how to tie it. She seemed more interested in talking and story telling tonight so it took some considerable and frequent focusing of her attention back to Jujitsu. Somehow she managed to tweak her neck in the last 10 minutes of class, so I redirected her to practice her strikes on Dave the dummy. That at least didn't bother her neck.

Average HR was 111 bpm @ 73% of MHR.

Weight: 257.

I woke up with my left hand, left illiotibial band, and left foot achy this morning. Must have conked out hard and immobile on my left side for too long. But, I wanted an upper body routine mainly today and tried to soldier on with that.

Only to discover that the SIU Rec Center was closed due to the 3" of snow last night and that is still falling lightly now. This was at 0620. Wusses. Then again, I had also been tasked with an important mission from DB. Buy more toilet paper. So I drove around in the scenic Winter wonderland until the stores opened. That mission accomplished I checked back at the gym.

O' frabjous day, it was opened at 0800. I razzed the young lady at the reception desk about the late opening, saying that this was a clear indication of why Northern Illinois University has a husky as it's mascot and SIU has the Saluki, an hot weather Egyptian long haired greyhound.

Rounds of speed bag, side bends, heavy bag and medicine ball toss (bad idea those two, they hurt my hand), SciFit and rower (arms only), stretched.

Average HR was 129 bpm @ 84% of MHR.

Weight: 256.

Best night's sleep I've had in a few weeks. Which led me to hit the gym, albeit with the intent of a less intense and longer session of conditioning. So it was speed bag, cable crunch, medicine ball toss, heavy bag pounding (my left hand is better), rower, stretched.

Average HR was 123 @ 80% of MHR. Not quite as easy as I planned, but OK nonetheless.

Cap.jpg

Ken showed tonight. Ethan gave me a heads up that he had family commitments tonight so he would not. Ken is coming along nicely, but I am working on getting him to smooth out his technique and relax. This most noticeable when he uses his hands to set up for a throw. None of this is unusual, I had the same problems myself early on in first Judo and when I took up Jujitsu again decades later. The elliptical push and pull for effective kuzushi is more of a subtle enticement to off-balance than a snappy jerking set of movements. Not necessarily hard or fast, but well timed. That, coupled with the right pivoting footwork makes the counters flow more smoothly. He's getting better at his footwork and pivoting though. Just a little more polishing. His retention of the basic techniques are good. He needs very little prompting for only 2-3 of them.

I spent some time showing him the range for elbow strikes as compared to straight punches. A straight punch will generally connect at around 24". An elbow strike needs a range of 12-14" or closer. So I demonstrated the difference by lining up on a wall.

Average HR was 127 bpm @ 83% of MHR. Since I was demonstrating and acting as crash dummy for Ken's techniques, this was more vigorous than observational teaching. But then hands on like this reveals some issues that simply watching doesn't always spot.

Weight: 256.

Incline Press: 180: 4-4-4. I'm guessing some of those arm, shoulder and wrist locks Ken put on me last night took their toll. I may have to adjust my lifting around Friday night's Jujitsu sessions. It seemed not to bode well for the rest of the lifting what with my back feeling creaky again.

Hammer High Row: 305-5, 310-5, 315-5.

Deadlift: 275-5, 275-5. So much for not boding well, as it turned out; especially deadlifts. I spent more time warming up with lighter plates to test my lower back's capacity. Which resulted in a plate math error, but a good one. I was planning on worksets with 270 and instead discovered I was using 275. Well OK then. Proof positive that internal feelings and perceptions are often imperfect predictors of success under the iron.

Average HR was 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

Weight: 255.

All for sets of 5.

Hammer Shoulder Press: 195-195-195.

Hammer Row: 380-380-380
    -
    Hammer Leg Press: 540-550-570.

Average HR was 121 bpm @ 79% of MHR.

In other news, I was getting the straight intel on when the Rec Center and Park District were open this week. While at the Park District the young woman at the desk congratulated me on having Emma in my Jujitsu class. She knows the family and apparently Emma chatters at some length about how much she likes the class and was very taken with receiving her white belt. Also how she was getting bullied at school and wanted to "Jujitsu the creep", but told a teacher instead. Good girl. Only use it when necessary if all else, reason, and authority figures fail. I'm glad to hear she paid attention to what I said to her as well as showed her what to do.

Weight 256.

Trying to modulate the intensity with briefer periods of things like striking flurries, ball tosses, etc. interspersed with longer and slower intervals of active "rest" like walking between stations in the Rec Center.

Speed bag, cable rotations, ball tosses, heavy bag, rower, stretching.

Average HR was 124 bpm @ 81% of MHR. A little more modulation will be the ticket, I think.

Weight: 257.

A bronocopia today.

Rear Delt Lateral Raises: 150 for 3 sets of 8.

Rope Handle Standing Triceps Extensions: Sets of 8 with 165.

Rope Handle Pulldown Curlz: Sets of 8, 140-150-160.

Claw Curls: Sets of 8, 70-100-120.

Average HR was 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 256. Not bad after Thanksgiving, all things considered.

Incline Press: 180, 5-4-4. Maybe time for a 10% reset on this. I may have come back from the last break too ambitious and should have started with a lighter weight.

Hammer High Row: 320-5, 325-5, 330-5.

My left foot and ankle is griping me again so I avoided loading it heavy with deadlifts. With any luck this week, I'll hit up the River to River Trail and bag a photo of Cedar Wonders Natural Arch. So let the foot heal and maybe try DL's tomorrow or next week.

Average HR was 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR. I've taken Michael Wolf's article about rest between sets to heart and resting longer. Hence a lower average HR. Why not? The big deal to not resting between sets is the time it takes. But hey! I'm retired, so no issue there most training sessions.