starting strength gym
Page 450 of 659 FirstFirst ... 350400440448449450451452460500550 ... LastLast
Results 4,491 to 4,500 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for the pro-tips coleossus. I had a nasal mask for my sleep study and it was a piece of cake. No discomfort at all.

As for shit will kill you? If I wasn't a believer before, when the nice Pakistani lady doc told me that my O2 fell to 58%? Hoo boy! That woke me the fuck up. So to speak.

On a side note, the doc told me the CPAP was TSA approved so there would be no problems traveling with it. I chuckled and asked what her experience with the TSA was. "Are you kidding me!? I'm a brown skinned woman with an Islamic sounding name who visits family in Pakistan now and again. I'm sure I know all about the TSA waaay more than you do."

She was good humored about it, and we both had a good laugh. Especially after I told her about my experience with the TSA nazi's in Portland, Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Thanks for the pro-tips coleossus. I had a nasal mask for my sleep study and it was a piece of cake. No discomfort at all.

As for shit will kill you? If I wasn't a believer before, when the nice Pakistani lady doc told me that my O2 fell to 58%? Hoo boy! That woke me the fuck up. So to speak.

On a side note, the doc told me the CPAP was TSA approved so there would be no problems traveling with it. I chuckled and asked what her experience with the TSA was. "Are you kidding me!? I'm a brown skinned woman with an Islamic sounding name who visits family in Pakistan now and again. I'm sure I know all about the TSA waaay more than you do."

She was good humored about it, and we both had a good laugh. Especially after I told her about my experience with the TSA nazi's in Portland, Oregon.
    Yeah, as a medically approved device it doesn't even count against your carry-on, if I recall.

I've had similar experiences passing through Portland. Not fun. But the CPAP shouldn't be a problem, besides getting used to the tube/pipe and remembering to take it with you on every overnight trip ever. And maybe getting used to keeping some aquaphor around - the masks tend to dry the face out real bad.

Best of luck with it, man!

Weight: 255.

DB Presses: Sets of 8. 10-20-30-40-42.5. I decided to change this up for the shoulders, and yep. The Rec Center has halfway DB increments up to 60 lbs. Looking to find a level here.

Rope Handle Standing Triceps Extensions: Sets of 8 with 165.

Rope Handle Pulldown Curlz: Sets of 8 with 160.

Claw Curls: Sets of 8, 120-130-140.

Average HR was 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

Ribs are coming along. They still don't like deep breaths, but the only pain challenge was getting the 42.5 DB's in position. Hopefully I'll be good to go for Friday's lifting.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 12-05-2018 at 10:26 AM.

Ball Cap.jpg

An unexpected group tonight; Emma, Ethan, and (shudder)Jacob. This kid was in the Summer martial arts camp and reminded me of nothing more than the Hitler Youth kid in Cabaret:

Anyway, he was on good behavior tonight. I had him working with Ethan and he's scared of Ethan after having acted up a couple of times at camp and being put in his place by Ethan before I could get there to do it myself. Which is not to imply Ethan is a bully. He does have a keen sense of justice though, and had no truck with Jacob's own domineering attempts with the younger kids in that camp. So: any potential problems solved.

Emma continues her improvement apace. She is better at pivots now, although I had to tell her that it looked more like she was trying to please her ballet teacher with a near flawless 3rd foot position rather than a more effective clockwise pivot. She giggled and blushed and immediately started stepping out more to better execute her turns.

Through all this, I interspersed a few of Ethan's blue belt 1st degree techniques to keep him sharp and reward his diligence for showing up tonight. It's tricky with him in the beginner classes. I'm giving him a review of white belt techniques to assure he doesn't get rusty, he gets to learn how to teach, and so I wanted to give him a chance to reinforce his learning at his current rank level.

Average HR was 112 bpm @ 73% of MHR.

Weight: 252.

A little of life getting in the way imposing a slightly less intense collection of workouts this week. I drove Our Daughter to STL for a flight back to SoCal to visit some friends. Busy day with no time for anything else.

Today, I tried something a little different. Fitbit has a HIIT interval timer function which I used to focus on rounds of speed bag and heavy bag with 20 second work intervals and 120 second active rest intervals. The results were pretty surprising. My average HR was only 107 bpm @ 70% MHR. It seems as if the HR wouldn't drive as high during the peaks on this interval function. Or maybe just one of those days where my pulse stayed low. More study is required. Also, as good as Fitbit seems to be on everything else, the timing buzzer (at the risk of being considered insensitive) is hard to detect when beating away on the bags. So I suppose a free HIIT app on my phone with a beeper will solve this issue.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ethan showed tonight. Ken will be back in January he told me last week. For the most part Ethan breezed through the blue belt 1st degree techniques with only a little coaching and some fine tuning. Then he got to the throws at the end.

These throws require some good timing of hand and foot movements along with pairing all four limbs to effectively induce some off-balancing or kuzushi so necessary to get the attacker on the ground effectively. Likewise the use of the hands and hips in making circular movements and pulls which twist up the attacker into a pretzel and thus more susceptible to being toppled. The hips on an axis as defined by the way the feet step and the hands and arms move in pulling in an arc first forward and then backward as the attacker tries to recover. He's having some trouble with this just now and it'll be cured by practice and repetition.

Average HR was 117 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

Weight: 254.

I figgered my ribs were all better since I barely felt them the last day of so rolling over at night or if I had to cough or sneeze. But, not quite as good as I thought. As I discovered.

Incline Press: Sets of 5 with 165. This is a reset, and while it was no grinder, the bar didn't exactly fly vertical. Also, every time the bar came down on my my upper rib cage, I felt a slight aftershock on the right side.

Hammer High Row: Sets of 5 with 320. Not too hard, but at full stretch at the top of the eccentric portion I could feel the ribs.

Deadlifts: 135-5, 225-3. This was where and when I got my comeuppance, especially with 225. As I came fully vertical and my arms came back to my sides and torso, the right side ribs REALLY didn't like the load. OK, back to this again next week.

Average HR was 107 bpm @ 69% of MHR.

Weight: 252.

Another hike yesterday. I decided to haul ass to Hogg Bluff in remote Johnson County, IL. One of the most law abiding places in the US, according to Andy, a friend of Skoot since like, forever. Like the Cedar Wonder Natural Arch, it is along the River to River Trail, and a mere 2 miles further East.

I took the wrong way in, by way of the RTRT with an angle off from the Southeast. Absent some hard lessons learned from land navigation to the Cedar Wonder Arch and the addition of a compass app, I might never have found the dang place.

The RTRT is carved something like 4 feet deep from lots of feet or perhaps a watercourse. There were several pools to circumnavigate. I obediently refrained from cutting West by signs stating PRIVATE along the way. Instead, I transited across something like 3-4 streams on the way from another side trail. Thank God for old beaver dams and my walking staff that helped me along the way. Not to mention Google Maps and a compass app that helped me in aiming off toward the bluff in question.

All along the way, I could hear lonesome locomotive whistles in the distance. Some real nostalgia for a cinder dick.

My last leg, forced a wet foot crossing over rocks to the bluff itself. The bluff had the remains of rocks from the Injuns, who, with good reason, considered this a place of power. The bluff is a knob overlooking other bluffs and water on 3 sides with moss covered rock on the remaining outcrops overlooking the beauty of this place.

I took the route out of there along a way marked by PRIVATE PROPERTY signs that I couldn't see walking West unless I turned around to look over my shoulder. The way out was clearly horse trail, indicated by the hitching post photo I took, along with the horse trailers I found once I got to the county road I came in on.

Sadly, the site says my photos are too big to load.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 12-10-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Weight: 254.

Yesterday's adventure came with a price tag. One of the several hippity-hoppitys across the streams or up a very steep grade at the bluff gave me a groin pull on my right leg. Woke me up every time I moved last night. So, no lifting today. I could barely walk. The prospect of leg presses, or even bracing the legs to support a push or pull was out of the question.

The fallback was upper body only conditioning. Rounds of speed bag, arms only rowing and SciFit, medicine ball toss and some very careful stretching of the hamstrings and illiopsoas.

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 82% of MHR. I was pretty careful yesterday, but age 68 is still age 68. Something that was very much on my mind making those hops to be sure I didn't turn or break an ankle.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 253.

If I had any damn sense, I'd just pack it in for a week or so and let everything heal up. The ribs, while better, are still grumbling in the background. My groinal area (a slight abstraction from Archie Bunker's word invention groinicologist) is allowing some better walking, getting up and down from chairs, and bending over. But significantly uncomfortable even so.

Today was more intervals of speed bag, not at all taxing to my owwies.

Average HR was 107 bpm @ 70% of MHR.