Page 460 of 659 FirstFirst ... 360410450458459460461462470510560 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,600 of 6586

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Weight: 232.

Sets of 8.

Seated Press: 125-125-125. This was less of a struggle than I anticipated.

Rope Handle Curl: 235-235-235.

Pullover and Press: 85-90-95.

Claw Curl: 155-155-155.

Average HR was 121 bpm @ 79% of MHR.

A quickie today with a GXP for conditioning.

Average HR was 128 bpm @ 84% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ken and Ethan showed, despite freezing sleet making the roads dodgy. Things began well, with both of them executing the escape and counter techniques quite well. Then, sadly, things fell apart at the end, with them muffing the three takedowns again.

Even worse, Ken, who has had a history of injuries to his back and neck for years as well as getting hit from behind in an auto accident hurting his back and neck, had to leave the mat to recover after a number of unsuccessful attempts by Ethan in one of the takedowns. As we reviewed what was hurting and why, it appears he was leaning backward, thus hyperextending his lower back in the inside leg sickle takedown. Which is another reason why his technique in this one failed. Leaning forward and placing your bodyweight on your attacker is an important factor, making him more susceptible to gravity's pull along with the technique. He was hurting bad enough he thought he might have to quit Jujitsu. He mentioned his father's and uncles' history of back problems as well.

This was sad for me, because I was prepared to promote them next week if they got these takedowns mastered. But, not yet. More work and polishing is required. Always assuming Ken returns.

Interspersed with their execution of the required techniques for this level, I showed them some variant counters for roundhouse punches. The basic technique is to block the incoming strike with an outward forearm. I added an opposite hand cross back strike with an open handed backhand, a hammer fist, an elbow strike, a palm strike to the ear drum, a low ridge hand to the balls, and a knife hand strike to the side of the neck. Then I demonstrated an outward block that encircled the incoming roundhouse into a figure four arm and shoulder lock.

Average HR was 107 bpm @ 70% of MHR.

1st Cycle, Week 2. 3 reps, 3 reps, as many reps as possible.

Incline Press: 135-150-170/4.

Hammer High Row: 260-295-333/4.

Deadlifts: 230-260-295/4. I haven't pulled these many reps with this weight for three years. Things are looking up.

Average HR was 117 bpm @ 77% of MHR.

Weight: 234.

Today was my Jujitsu warm up followed by rounds of speed bag, cable crunch, rowing, heavy bag flurries, and stretching.

Average HR was 127 bpm @ 83% of MHR.

Weight: 234.

Some odds and ends thrown together. Handball, speed bag, tire flips, elliptical, Turkish get ups, side bends, Jacob's ladder, stretching.

Average HR was 135 bpm @ 88% of MHR.

1st Cycle, Week 3. 5 reps, 3 reps, as many reps as possible.

Bench Press: 160-180-200/3. That last 3rd rep was a real grinder that came THAT close to a failure.

Hammer Row: 310-350-390/3.

Hammer Leg Press: 525-595-665/8.

Average HR was 119 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

Weight: 235.

Today was mostly highland games related. Speed bag, caber lift, kettlebell swings, medicine ball side toss, 25 lb. dumbbell push press, hammer swings, stretched. The caber lift had my L4 and L5 objecting in the low pick position. You have to round back the lift and get out over your toes which can be risky, so I only did 2.

Average HR was 128 bpm @ 84% of MHR.

It turned into quite a rewarding morning. Or at least we'll see how rewarding plays out.

First, on the way from the gym, I saw a bald eagle perched in an oak. Too far away for a good phone photo, but majestic all the same.

Second, I was listening to an interview by the local WJPF newsie, Tom Miller. It was about the Polar Plunge for Special Olympics this Saturday. Which finally reminded me that I'd been thinking about coaching or helping out with any Special Olympic competitors who might be powerlifting. A quick search on my phone sent me to their office where they took my name, phone, and email info to present to all and sundry. Here's hoping.

Ball Cap.jpg

The Gang of Four showed tonight, Alex, Emma, Jacob, and Zach. Either they are getting better behaved or I am learning a higher degree of patience and tolerance. Probably the latter. They did a fair job of working through the techniques although with a lot of questions. Some were even good ones, which is a significant improvement.

Like Zach's, who asked why not just kick someone in the balls if they grabbed a wrist in each hand instead of the escape I was teaching. Not a bad response, but one that would land him in detention or a suspension when witnessed by a teacher. It was a golden opportunity to explain over escalation to kids. It seemed like they even got the message. Gratifying, if so.

All that chatter and bringing them back to attentive order did result in not getting through all the techniques, so I gave them a treat by beating on the striking dummy, Dave. Their absolute favorite part of the class.

Lots of deserved praise all around as we bowed off the mat.

Average HR was 11 bpm @ 73% of MHR.

When I got home I got a call from the Special Olympics. I will be meeting two trainees and their parents at the Gold's Gym a couple of miles from my house.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 233.

Sets of 8.

Seated Press: 130 for 3 sets.

Rope Handle Curl: 235-240-245.

Pullover and Press: 100 for 3 sets.

Claw Curl: I forgot the dang Ironmind claw curl. Left it in my Edge.

Average HR was 127 bpm @ 83% of MHR.

On a side note, I'm at the Rec Center later than usual due to a chiro appointment for DB. There was a young guy (which is almost everyone else these days for me) with a t-shirt with the Miranda warning on it. I couldn't resist, so I walked over and put my hand to my ear which seems to be the universal ASL for "Can I talk to you?" these days. Was he a criminal justice major? Yep, but going to the law school next t be a prosecutor. Which was probably a good move for him since he was kind of a pencil neck. I kept this thought to myself of course. Good for him. We need more prosecutors. But good ones.