Page 468 of 659 FirstFirst ... 368418458466467468469470478518568 ... LastLast
Results 4,671 to 4,680 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight: 224.

Today was eclectic.

First it was training for the Highland Games. Hammer swings, caber lifts, db push press, kettlebell swings, medicine ball toss, and stretching.

Average HR was 129 bpm @ 84% of MHR.

Then, because it was in the low 70's here, a turn around the lake we live along in the kayak.

Average HR was 114 bpm @ 75% of MHR.

Fun day!

Weight: 233.

Up and at em this morning. Rounds of speed bag, medicine ball side throw, machine crunch, heavy bag, and stretching.

Average HR was 130 bpm @ 85% of MHR.

Weight: 221.8.

2nd Cycle, Week 3. 5 reps @ 75%, 3 reps @ 85%, as many reps as possible @ 95%, max singles

Incline Press: 145-165-185-200.

Hammer High Row: 280-320-355-360

Deadlift: 250-280-315, 0.

Average HR was 104 bpm @ 68% of MHR.

I almost didn't lift today. I woke up with my back and knees creaky, sore and having a lot on my mind with none of it good. I wasn't expecting much but did better than I expected until deadlifts. The early sets went up easily enough, but my back started warning me halfway up with 315. I made a 2nd attempt with it, but this time it remained nailed to the platform. In other good news, the newest last hole on my belt was easy to buckle although the belt was very stiff in a previously unused part of it.

Training John the Special Olympian. I introduced him to a 5-3-1 routine with not so great results. He could only manage 1-3 reps on the 5-5-5 week on the 3rd set. Plus, he said his wrist was bothering him in deadlifts, so no 3rd set at all in that. Could have been a bad day, or poor response to more than 5 reps. His father said his previous programming had him doing up to 6 reps, so I'm attributing this to a bad day. We'll see next session.

Ball Cap.jpg

Weight: 223.

I went the chiro to get the creaks cracked out of me. He did good.

Zach, Emma, and Jacob showed tonight. Lotta energy ping ponging around with all three and it was a real challenge trying to channel it into something like productive learning time. After several admonitions to pay attention, I stopped and told Zach to teach the class. After all, he wouldn't shut up, watch the technique demonstrations, or sit still. So since he knew so much, he could teach. Stunned silence which morphed into compliance. At least for the last 10 minutes of class.

Jacob has trouble getting over a tendency to lean off balance into a technique and sometimes reverts to half moon Karate steps. Which look impressive, but are pretty useless in this art. Happily, he and even Zach asked a few good questions tonight. Jacob managed to decode the fact that this form of Jujitsu involves close quarters techniques and counters from the question he asked. So there were those golden moments to treasure amidst the barely controlled chaos.

Average HR was 109 bpm @ 69% of MHR.

Weight: 223.2

Deload week. Even bro's need one. Sets of 8 at 40%, 50%, and 60%.

Seated Press: 65-75-85.

Hammer Curls: 45-55-65.

EZ Curl Bar Floor Press: 45-55-65.

Average HR was 120 bpm @ 78% of MHR.

Track practice with the Special Olympians this afternoon. Which was no mean feat with 30 mph winds. After the general warmups I had the shot putters do the Jujitsu wrist and finger stretches to get their hands good to go. Then I passed the 6 lb. shot to Marisa and Valerie who both threw qualifiers for the upcoming state Summer Olympics. Jareth and John C. also qualified with ease throwing 25 and 24 feet respectively.

Later, I got roped into the timing some runners for their 50 and 100 meter qualifiers. A first for me, never having timed anything before.

Weight: 221.*

Rounds today of prowler, speed bag, rower, cable crunch, low kicks on heavy bag, stretching.

Average HR was 128 bpm @ 84% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

Tonight was set for Ken's promotion. I made up his certificate and Ethan's just in case he showed up too and could master the three takedowns. Ethan didn't show and so missed his shot this week.

Sensei Wissman, the Karate guy, showed up as invited since he also teaches Ken. In deference to his time, I promoted Ken at the beginning of the session so Sensei Wissman could leave if he needed to. He stayed to watch the rest of the session as I began to teach Ken the new techniques for blue belt 2nd degree. We only got part way through, with some escapes from grabs, head locks, and some handshake counters. A good session. Sensei Wissman brought some cheesecake for the minor celebration afterward.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 223.4

Late morning rounds of handball, speed bag, medicine ball slam, heavy bag, elliptical, stretching.

Average HR was 129 bpm @ 84% of MHR.