starting strength gym
Page 469 of 659 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479519569 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight: 223.8.

2nd Cycle, Week 4 Deload. 3 sets of 5 @ 40%-50%-60%.

Bench Press: 85-110-130.

Hammer Row: 165-210-250.

Hammer Leg Press: 280-355-425.

Stretched.

In and out quickly this morning given the quick recovery between sets. A total of 36 minutes, as opposed to 45+ for other lifting sessions.

VO2 Max ticked up to the 40-44 range with today's average HR 109 @ 71% of MHR. I think I have diagnosed (maybe) a newly nagging discomfort in my outer left hip. I was using lunge type movement to stretch my illiopsoas. Long story short, it seems to have aggravated some bursitis in my hip. So, like the ITB stretch that was giving me some grief, it is now gonezola. Given that I am no longer carrying around 50 lbs. at my gut, it may no longer be needed. Even so, I used an accupressure point to go deep and effect a release of any tension in the illiopsoas.

Weight: 233.8.

Beautiful Spring morning here with me doing rounds of morning here with me doing rounds of speed bag, prowler, medicine ball toss, cable crunch with 220 lbs., heavy bag, and stretching.

Average HR was 126 bpm @ 81% of MHR.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 04-16-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Weight: 221.8

Deload week. Sets of 8 at 40%, 50%, and 60%.

Seated Press: 65-75-85.

Hammer Curls: 45-55-65.

EZ Curl Bar Floor Press: 45-55-65.

Average HR was 119 bpm @ 77% of MHR.

Ball Cap.jpg

Emma and Jacob showed tonight. Emma is ready for promotion to blue belt. She did that well. Jacob is getting better incrementally, but has some distance yet to go. They skimmed through the white belt techniques at their respective levels of skill.

Average HR was 93 bpm @ 61% of MHR.

Weight: 223.

Lotta variety today. Arms only SciFit, speed bag, elliptical, medicine ball toss, heavy bag, and stretching.

Average HR was 127 bpm @ 83% of MHR.

Busy week so far, Tuesday especially. What with the conditioning, raking and burning of a remnant glacier of leaves from last Fall (2 1/2 acres with more than a few maples and oaks), a Special Olympics coaches meeting where I got the Spring Games next Friday sprung on me unexpectedly. Along with a multi-page bulletin on Special Olympics coaching training being offered in May and June. Some stuff that looked pretty good. It included an orientation to Special Olympics and the coaching role, sports first aid, athletics (which was nebulously described as the track and field events of the Games but included shot put), principles of coaching, and a powerlifting specific course. Others, like snowshoe and bocce coaching, but who cares?

Then there was the training session for John, the powerlifter I am coaching. The good news is that they want to shift his training to Mondays, which opens up my Tuesday nights again for the meeting with the guys who smoke cigars and sip scotch while I enjoy some diet Pepsi and shoot the breeze with my friends.

Hey Mark, hello!

We had chatted a bit a couple years ago, and I'm back to hitting the SS boards again. I just saw this post. So, will you be at Summer Games in June for SO powerlifting?

We just had our district meet this weekend in Aurora. All five of my guys qualified to go downstate, so I will definitely be there. Let me know if you'll be there, it would be great to meet and chat about SS/lifting.

Bob

Yes I will Bob. It would be great to meet you. I'm a coach for the Lightning Bolts. DB and I are also planning on going to the coaches training weekend May 31-June 2 in Bloomington too. How about you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Yes I will Bob. It would be great to meet you. I'm a coach for the Lightning Bolts. DB and I are also planning on going to the coaches training weekend May 31-June 2 in Bloomington too. How about you?
    I can't make the training. My youngest graduates HS that weekend

Will keep an eye out for you at powerlifting. Look for the WeGo Wildcats!

See you there.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 222.2

Deload week. Sets of 5 at 40%, 50%, and 60%.

Push Press: 60-75-85.

High Pulls from Blocks: 85-105-125.

EZ Curl Bar Floor Press: 45-55-65.

Average HR was 118 bpm @ 77% of MHR.

The nagging owwies got bad enough I went to see the doc. He prescribed a Prednisone 6-5-4-3-2-1 pack. It's the start of the 2nd day the left hip pain is nearly vanished with a little lingering discomfort on the left foot. The right fingers are likewise getting better. Even the low back is solid now. So, YAY!

The Rec Center has now got a temporary lash up for the renovating athletes weight room on the North side of the indoor track. They have Swiss bars and a Rogue product called a Pit Shark, which is a purpose built machine for hip belt squats. It's similar to the old Nautilus multi-station for dips and chins, but which the old 90's HIT'ers adapted to use for hip belt squats. Me included. This one is plate loaded though, without the 250 lb. limitation imposed by the weight stack Nautilus used. Very cool stuff. Also some Safety Squat Bars. It's cordoned off for athletes only for now, but the powers that be assured me that in 2-3 weeks the renovated athletes' facility will be done and the Rec Center gets all their hand me downs. Given my wonky wrists, the Swiss bars may be a Godsend. Very cool stuff.

Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 04-19-2019 at 09:51 AM.