starting strength gym
Page 470 of 659 FirstFirst ... 370420460468469470471472480520570 ... LastLast
Results 4,691 to 4,700 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

Ethan showed tonight, and I lead him off with the elusive three takedowns. It took some coaching and a LOT of falls on my part, but he got all of them. Finally. The last one, a cross leg rear takedown was executed flawlessly after a few false starts. Very smooth in application with a jarring landing. I promoted him on the spot, much to his drop-jawed surprise.

From there, I ran him through three of the blue belt 2nd degree techniques which was all there was time for. The spinning wrist takedown uses a pressure point applied to the wrist which he found shocking and slightly unnerving. Since he didn't know there was such a vulnerability. This lead to a brief digression into pressure points and their effects and applications.

A good night when a student succeeds.

Weight: 222.6.

It was all about the Games this morning, laddies and lassies.

First, I reconnoitered the shot put pits at Hartzog Stadium on the SIU campus. The Special Olympics Spring Games are next Friday and I wanted to be sure of where exactly they were since I am coaching the shot putters. Very nice setup, as you would expect from a Division 1 school. Two big sand pits and concrete slabs with toe boards. With all the rain we just had, one of the pits had a small pond in it.

Then, off to the gym to train for the Highland Games. Caber lifts, KB swings, hammer twirls, DB push presses and stretching.

Average HR was 122 @ 80% of MHR.

Weight: 220.0!

Whoo-hoo! Ironic it happened when Lent ended too. Then again, there's the whole other Christmas and Easter thing. As in Patton broke through to Bastogne on Christmas and put paid to the Battle of the Bulge. Oh frabjous day! Now I can really concentrate on lifting and start using creatine and BCAA's again, beginning tomorrow.

Today's leisurely jaunt was a stroll along the glassy Lake on the Campus just after sunrise.

Average HR was 89 bpm @ 59% of MHR.

Free of the OCD recording of weight henceforth.

This was rounds of speed bag, tire flips, elliptical, hanging leg raises, heavy bag, and stretching.

Average HR was 131 bpm @ 86% of MHR.

Grats on hitting the weight goal!

I hit the lowest weight I've been in decades last month, and then decided I need to eat more while on NLP. So far, have only gained about 3 pounds, so not too bad. But with my penchant for just eating whatever (not junk food, per se, but hardly a "clean" diet), it's probably 1/2 # lean muscle, and 2.5# fat, LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by SeanThornton View Post
    Grats on hitting the weight goal!
    Thank you kind Sir.

Deload week. Sets of 5at 40%, 50%, and 60%.

Incline Press: 80-100-115.

Hammer High Rows: 160-190-240.

Deadlift: 135-165-200.

Average HR was 108 bpm @ 71% of MHR.

My left foot and hip are gradually getting better as are my fingers on my right hand. The prednisone gets most of the credit, although I have broke out my old and long neglected orthotics. Add to that, I went to Priority Sports and had their expert shoe fitters set me up with some New Balance hiking boots that stabilize my feet and ankles much better. I am using accupressure to loosen my ITB and keep my illiopsoas less tight. Both procedures involve some intense pressure and discomfort for a few minutes or so, but they seem to also be aiding in releasing the accumulated tension in both.

Another wunnerful day in the neighborhood.

Rounds of prowler, speed bag, machine crunch, pull ups, heavy bag, rower, and stretching.

In the spirit of simplicity with respect to my OCD/1-2-3 with recording my weight, I'm giving the cardio recording a rest for now. Anyone interested in the happenings or intensity or conditioning value of my lifting, conditioning, or Jujitsu can feel free to inquire (or not) if they remain unconvinced of the contribution those make.

My new lighter weight and one size smaller gi arrived this morning. This should make the warmer weather a little easier to take while teaching. Also, I won't look like such a big black side of a barn in the thing. Black is only SO slimming.

Nice job on the cut,I sure know how tuff it gotten for me to drop weight now.

starting strength coach development program
    The amazing thing is that this was the easiest time so far for the most part Jerry. It was only the last 3 weeks that I had a stall. My weight has stabilized at 219 so far and I'm having a little adjustment to allowing myself to eat more now.