starting strength gym
Page 481 of 659 FirstFirst ... 381431471479480481482483491531581 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,810 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    And the beat goes on.

After all the rain, the wind, and things that needed doing ASAP, The Dark Lady's calls finally drew me in. It was like them there syreens singin' out in O Brother Where Art Thou. Except I didn't get turned into a toad frog.

It was a grand ride on Old 51 into the Hobbit land of Giant City State Park, decked out in it's green late Spring dark glory. I wound along the road with the stream on one side and the cliffs of Stonefort on the other. Then home again on Giant City Road and Boskydell Road. Absent the Keebler elves of course.

DB and I are on the wait list for CPR/AED training at the park district. Team Lightning Bolt has at least one competitor with a seizure disorder and we want to be ready if needed for her.

Bench Press: 207 for 5 singles and a backoff set of 185 for 5 reps.

Hammer High Row: 300 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Except I didn't get turned into a toad frog.
    Horny toad

And great movie, btw. Bonafide!!!

Dang it! Right you are. I haven't seen everything the Coen brothers did, but what I have seen I liked. Miller's Crossing was particularly good.

Rounds of speed bag, prowler, rower, medicine ball toss, stretching.

This competing thing is getting complicated. As it turns out, the USPA only tests at stipulated drug tested meets. It makes some sense, but then Illinois doesn't have that many USPA meets compared to West of the Mississippi. I missed a drug tested meet by a couple weeks in nearby Granite City, IL. Drat. The Chicago meet is full up, so I requested the wait list. No Illinois state drug free record this year it looks like, but I can still set an untested one. If I can't get in to the Chicago meet, there's one in Indianapolis soon after.

An additional wrinkle to all this is the USPA policy that you can only set drug free records at a drug tested meet, but you can qualify for the USPA Nationals and their international arm, the IPL, Worlds at any USPA meet, tested or not. Kind of a bad news/good news thing. Patience is required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Dang it! Right you are. I haven't seen everything the Coen brothers did, but what I have seen I liked. Miller's Crossing was particularly good.
    That reminds me of a great book called ”butchers crossing” its about a hunt for buffalos, John Williams wrote it. But you probably read that one?

Huh, I hadn't heard of it until now. I've read a few books like it though. Like The Outlaw Josie Wales and it's sequel, along with Mountain Man (about Jeremiah Johnson).

Sounds good though, so thanks Bergs. I'll have to find it. The local library doesn't seem to have it, but I'll check around.

Deadlift: 305 for 5 singles, all done double overhand. It appears I have unscrewed my flawed form issues.

EZ Curl Bar Floor Press: 130 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched.

John's meet in Paducah is coming up this weekend. Gotta get him ready for that.

As for my own plans, the USPA coaching certification class is the weekend of August 24 & 25 in Eaton, OH. I got clarification from USPA HQ on drug tested competitions and qualifying for the Nationals and Worlds. I need to qualify at a tested meet according to chapter and verse of the rules and regulations. So a scant two weeks later in September, there's a drug tested meet in Tulsa, OK. Gonna be some road trips ahead.

A bright glorious morning filled with promise for the coming day. So I hied myself off to the Rec Center to pummel the speed bag, toss the medicine ball, hit the crunch apparatus, reduce the heavy bag to a quivering jelly with close quarters elbow strikes, back fists, and hammer fists, and conclude with stretching.

Alas, John is very ill. So no training happened last night and he wont be going to the meet in Paducah. Which, while I am sorry he is sick, is not entirely a bad thing. IMO, he needs more time to recover between meets.

I got the news from DB who monitors my phone on the few occasions when I don't have it on my person. I figgered it could only get damaged while I was cutting up a huge limb in our back yard that fell from Saturday night's storm. I was smiting it with my double bit ax. None of that sissy bullshit chainsaw bullshit for me. The main body of the thing was the size of my thigh, and I cut it into three sections to drag back from the shoreline of the lake we live along. It nearly fell on our dock and the dang thing was so heavy it might have taken the dock out. As it was, I had all I could do to reverse prowler drag the sections. Besides their weight, the sections kept getting caught on the knees of the Cypress trees in our back yard. I now need to cut them up some more to burn in our fire pit. Pretty incredible to compare to the nearly nonexistent yeoman's work I had to do on our postage stamp property in SoCal. You got 2 1/2 acres of land with over a dozen trees and you better be ready for some manual labor.

The weather here has been crazy the last couple of weeks. Besides rain and the attendant flooding, on both the Mississippi AND the Ohio Rivers, there have 20 some hazardous weather warnings for severe storms and tornadoes in this region in IL, MO, KY, and TN. Also unlike the nearly unvarying coastal weather we had in SoCal.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't have much property, but between my house and my daughters place I do get my cardio in. Its been rainy plenty here for the past few weeks and the grass some grows fast.Will be spending a few hours behind the mower tomorrow.