starting strength gym
Page 483 of 659 FirstFirst ... 383433473481482483484485493533583 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Deadlifts: 305 for 6 singles and a back off set of 5 with 245. I selected a bar with good knurling, chalked my hands and belted up for all my sets including the warm ups. I had decided to use the hook grip just for warm ups, but when I pulled 275 with no ill effects on my thumbs, I decided to try at least one work set with it. So I did all my sets with the hook, including the back set. Despite all that attention to detail, including trying to maintain bullet proof form, I gripped the bar off center a couple of times and had a heavy side lift. Dumb. Really dumb. This, with a left lower lumbar feeling slightly less than good this morning.

EZ Curl Close Grip Floor Press: 135 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched.

Ball Cap.jpg

I promoted Jacob tonight. Since it was a belt color change from white to blue we did the whole formal kneeling and tying of the knot of knowledge of his white belt. Ken and Ethan showed as well and we went directly into teaching Jacob blue belt techniques. Which was pretty overwhelming for him since the movements are very different and more complex. He struggled, but he'll get through it.

We are celebrating having started on the course to becoming citizens rather than subjects of the crown today, so of course the Rec Center was closed. Once again, off on a walk, this time to one of the numerous boat ramp lots and access roads to it on Crab Orchard Lake. A nice pleasant walk among the trees on Foreville Road.

Seated Press: 150 for 3 singles followed by 155 for 3 singles followed by a back off set of 135 for 5 reps. The 150 just wasn't that hard so I did a 5 lb. jump which wasn't much more difficult. More jumps to come I suspect.

Dynamic Shrugs: Sets of 5, 315-335-345.

Stretched.

Ball Cap.jpg

Emma finally returned tonight, along with Jacob and Ken. She had forgotten a lot of her blue belt technique and it virtually start over from scratch with her. Jacob did surprisingly well on a few techniques he had seen for the first time on Wednesday, although he had a terrible time interpreting cues and corrections on several other techniques. It's amazing how many ways there are to misunderstand wrist, hand, and foot movements. But then these problems are (I hope) making me a better teacher in learning how to communicate the concepts to other students.

Rest day yesterday. DB and I took the Red Cross CPR/AED/First Aid course at the park district. Since I work there I was comped for it. I've seen a lot of changes in CPR over the decades. I first got trained in it at age 12 as a junior life guard. Back then the back pressure arm lift method was still taught. Subsequent to that I've been through about 3 other training evolutions with some lapses of certification in between. Gone is the precordial thump to the sternum taught in the 80's. Too likely to fracture something on the elderly was the rationale I was told when I asked about it some 15 years ago during my last certification. Which seems strange, given that our instructor told us we were likely to fracture ribs doing the chest compressions. Ah well, I suspect some job justification implementing change for it's own sake was/is in play at the Red Cross.

The AED looked like a Fisher-Price toy in white, red, green, and yellow plastic. An observation the instructor was less than amused by.

So today was a git er done morning with a jaunt around the roads around the private lake we live next to. Beautiful sunrise with wabbits hopping awound in the grass and blue jays calling to each other in flight. Not to forget the green card Canadian geese in the lake honking away indignantly as I passed by.

Busy week upcoming. I will be teaching a martial arts Summer camp in the mornings at the park district. It might draw in some more long term students.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Not to forget the green card Canadian geese in the lake honking away indignantly as I passed by.
    Strange. One usually hears about how polite Canadians are

Enjoy the beautiful weather! We're off to the Morton Arboretum to see the trolls: Troll Hunt | The Morton Arboretum

DB and I love the Morton Arboretum. A truly gorgeous place nestled among the Western suburbs. As for polite Canadians, while almost universally true I, Claudius proved to be a notable exception.

Last minute call to help at a Special Olympics double header softball game, DB and I got up and went. I told the team leaders I suck at baseball and am not a good coaching candidate, and today was watch and learn. JC, who is a high functioning Olympian was instructing me through the game from the dugout. Pretty funny, all things considered. The coach getting taught by a mildly learning disabled guy. I thanked him for his tutelage. A long, hot afternoon. But fun nonetheless.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats: 45-45-45 (loosen up the shoulders to rest the bar low enough on the traps) 95-135-185-225-250-260-265. My lower back was dodgy from all the fun yesterday and I still have the first of the Jujitsu camp this morning, so I took what solace I could from this incremental regain and called it.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 5, 120-125-130.

Stretched.

Today got even more action packed. Yesterday I was informed John was good to train again, so I will by hying off to the Marion Golds for a 5:00 light break in lifting session with him.

Goals
    Total required for drug tested Nationals: 769.

Total required for drug tested Nationals: 875.

Current Gym Lifts as of 7-8-19
    Squat: 265.
    Bench Press: 230.
    Deadlift: 340.
    Total: 835.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 07-08-2019 at 07:32 PM.