starting strength gym
Page 487 of 659 FirstFirst ... 387437477485486487488489497537587 ... LastLast
Results 4,861 to 4,870 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Deadlift: 305 for 8 singles.

EZ Curl Bar Floor Press: 140 for 3 sets of 5.

Crunch: 80 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched.

The new shoes are great! Very grippy and supportive, despite the lack of a metatarsal strap. Between dropping 3/4"-1 1/2" in heel height (depending on whether I was using my Adidas Powerlifts or the work boots I wore more recently to lift in) and going to a hook grip, I have gained between 1"-2" advantage anthropometry on my height and arm length. The latter being the result of the slight gain on arm length leverage that the hook grip affords by having the bar sit lower down in the hand. Little things, but collectively they add up to better and heavier lifting. I can't wait to test my 1RM in a few weeks.

As it is, my programming adaptations of Hepburn's routine has me running a cycle in 10 weeks. At which point I'll test my new 1RM and calculate the next cycle of 90% of that 1RM accordingly. Then, a week of deload before hammering away again.

I spent some extra time making certain I was centered on the bar and had my hands on center as well. A little more attention to sitting back and keeping the bar closer to my shins was in order too, since I have a tendency to let the bar come out too far over my mid foot.

I trained John the Special Olympian tonight. We had to bail on squats after the first work set because his right upper leg gave out. It hurt him in the same place when his leg buckled on his 3rd attempt in the deadlift at the Summer Games. Fortunately, his sister, a massage therapist was working out then as well. We went to bench presses which he did fine in as his sister was organizing herself to come help him. He had an inflamed illiopsoas and some illiotibial band tightness. So we finished off with deadlifts, working closely on form. He lifts sumo style and began to dip his hips lower than he needed to and blast upward. I got him to raise his hips more so as not to suddenly run out of slack in his joints and hammer his lumbars when they took the full weight on the bar. Here's hoping he gets this problem fixed. His sister said she was going to work on him later.

More variety this morning. Rounds of speed bag, "sprinting*", medicine ball slams, Jujitsu striking drill**, stretching.

* Laughingly you might say. No sprints since high school football practice. I went relatively moderate so as not to damage my aging self. More of these ramping up to full out effort later.

** Looked a lot like Karate drills. Straight punches, roundhouse, hammer fists, elbow strikes, palm heel strikes, underhand punch, cross punches, twist punches, uppercuts.

Seated Press: 155 for 8 singles and a backoff set of 135 for 5 reps.

Dynamic Shrugs: 345 for 3 sets of 5. I decided to proof test the hook grip with a heavier load. It didn't start out well, despite an unchromed bar with fair knurling and some light oxidation. Such oxidation typically makes for a better grip, but I had trouble holding the bar for more than one rep. Then it occurred to me, why not chalk up? Which I did. Huge difference. The bar stuck in my hands like I had gecko pads on my fingers for all 5 reps of the last set. Pulling 350 or better in a few weeks when I test my 1RM is looking very good.

Stretched.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ken showed for beginner's class and since there were no beginners, we proceeded through all but two techniques in the blue belt 2nd degree course. His technique continues to refine. He only required a few adjustments of his foot positioning for most of the techniques. The defense against a low tackle needed some more work, both in jamming his right arm against the side of the attacker's neck as well as scooping the attacker's right arm up with the inner crook of the elbow initially rather than trying to catch it between the index and thumb. The former provides better leverage. Despite those relatively small issues he did quite well tonight.

Rounds this morning of more (and faster) sprints on the corners of the indoor track at the Rec Center, Jujitsu striking drills, SciFit (arms only), medicine ball toss, speed bag, side bends, and stretching.

Followed by a routine chassis realignment by the chiro. I'm feeling just CAPITAL now.

Squat: 45 for 3 sets of 5, 95-5, 135-3, 205-1, 255-1, 275-1. Today was supposed to be a more structured Hepburn routine of 8 singles with 245 and a backoff set of 215 for 5 reps. But I went to a different power rack made by Martrix, maaaan. It is wider, which makes it easier for me to get the hand spacing I need on the bar for my immobile shoulders, and the pin spacing increments are smaller, allowing me to get the bar height just where I can best wedge myself under it for solid placement of low bar squats. It also means I can set the safety rails to just a skosh below where I break parallel. This setup gave me confidence after the warmup sets to eke out another 5 lbs. toward my goal.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 5, 140-145-159.

Stretched.

Goals
    Total required for drug tested Nationals: 769.

Total required for drug tested Worlds: 875.

Current Gym Lifts as of 7-26-19
    Squat: 275.
    Bench Press: 230.
    Deadlift: 340.
    Total: 835.

I have 30 lbs. to go

Ball Cap.jpg

Ken and Ethan showed but not Emma and Jacob. Which was OK because it allowed me to concentrate on fixing their takedown techniques. There are four of them in the blue belt 2nd degree course and Ethan was all over the map tonight. Ken was his increasingly usual competent self. Using good kuzushi off balancing technique is critical and Ethan was placing his right hand like it was patty cake on Ken's shoulder. After the 3rd attempt to correct him, I demonstrated how forceful the hand had to be placed and pushed with about half strength and Ethan twisted like a pretzel and folded into a downward spiral on to the mat.

At the end of learning the arm scoop and head deflection for a low tackle counter, Ethan observed that maybe the counter to the defender's takedown is just to drop and go with it. BINGO! Ju, the art of giving way. Once on the ground, another ankle high takedown can be used. Both of them inadvertently stumbled into a key principal of this martial art. That being using the other guy's force and energy to off balance them by not resisting it and letting them fall into the vacuum of no resistance.

Bench Press: 205 for 9 singles with a backoff set of 185 for 5 reps.

Hammer High Row: Sets of 5, 310-315-320.

Stretched.

I got an email from the USPA, the Drug tested Nationals will be in June in Columbus, OH. Also, one the Swiss bars finally got migrated to the West weight room. Oh frabjous day! Now I can use that on a regular bench instead of the jury rigged pullover and press I am using with an EZ curl bar on a floor press.

starting strength coach development program
    Trained John the Special Olympian tonight. He's still recovering from his leg and hip issues, so we went easy on the squat and deadlift. He was going strong in the bench press and then got the wobbles and had to end the last set after 2 reps. He had no idea why. Ah well. He was eager to compete in any venue, so I did a search of Powerlifting Watch and found a bunch of meets from August to November in IL, IN, MO, KY, and WI.

My Special Olympics Law Enforcement Torch Run plates arrived today. They say LIFT and they look great. Too bad my photo of them is too big a file to post here. So, to FB it is.