starting strength gym
Page 489 of 659 FirstFirst ... 389439479487488489490491499539589 ... LastLast
Results 4,881 to 4,890 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sorry to hear about your friend. I run a retiree group for the NYPD Fleet Services Division. In the past year we lost 5 members, 3 in their high eighties and 2 less then 70.

Yeah, his circle of friends knew he had health problems. He never married and was still settling his brother's estate when he died. He led a mostly solitary life. Sad to die alone and lay there for a few days like that.

But life goes on.

Today started with DB and I at the Rec Center, her at the pool and me doing rounds of speed bag, elliptical, rower, Jujitsu striking drill, prowler, and stretching. My visit to the chiro yesterday was rejuvenating. My back feels rock solid to essay 10 singles of the deadlift tomorrow morning. Me and my wrestling clown shoes that look like a kaleidoscope vomited on them.

Deadlifts: 305 for 10 singles and a backoff set of 275 for 5 reps.

Swiss Bar Parallel Close Grip Bench Presses: 145-150-155 for sets of 5. No more of these for me. The bar wants to rock which has strained my wrist a little. Back to floor presses.

Crunch: 90-95-100 for sets of 5.

Stretched.

I emailed to confirm my registration for the USPA coaching certification and the meet in Tulsa. Tulsa confirmed. Nothing yet from the cert. I've decided to try my 1RM's as a mock meet with all three lifts in one session and three attempts.

Running and gunning all day, this my first stretch at some down time to account for it.

First, conditioning. Speed bag, prowler, SciFit, reverse hyperextensions, stretching.

Then, a vain attempt to coordinate some information for Paul's memorial. No luck there, since his favorite morning haunt, PK's was not open until 8:00. Which turned into an issue because DB and I needed to be two towns over for a Special Olympics event at 8:30.

The event was helping regulate Special Olympians at a bowling tournament. Pretty much traffic cop stuff. Where we learned that the Region may want us both for security duties unrelated to Team Lightning Bolt given our backgrounds and careers. Lot to think about there. That ran several noisy and chaotic hours.

Finally, training John in powerlifting. His deadlift form was all over the map, maybe due to his recent injuries, but my attempt at figuring it out through questions were less than productive. I have more to learn in this realm obviously. He has a narrower sumo stance and I couldn't get him to keep the bar tight to his shins as he came up. Something else I need to give thought to.

Now, some down time to digest all this. Retirement. Perhaps more active than employment on some days.

I sure agree that some days I wonder how I ever found time to be gone from home about 11hrs a day and still get things done around my house. It is best to keep busy.

Amen to that.

I've been getting the antsies for the last few days. I want to get what I hope are my new and improved 1RM's. Kept me awake for a while last night. But, I persevered and kept to my original plan. Then some light recovery days and hit it.

Seated Press: 155 for 10 singles with a backoff set of 135 for 5 reps.

Dynamic Shrugs: Sets of 5, 365-370-375. I did the first set with a lot of chalk and a hook grip to test it under load. The bar was a really sweet chromed Eleiko with some sharp and deep knurling. It tore up my thumbs a little, but totally worth it. If I can hold the bar for 5 reps, I can definitely hold it for a single.

Stretched. More Special Olympics bowling to traffic cop tomorrow morning.

A couple of days of lighter recovery days today and tomorrow to prep for max lifts Saturday.

Rounds of SciFit, speed bag, medicine ball toss, dynamic blocks and counter strikes on heavy bag, and stretches.

Followed by 6 hours of more Special Olympics bowling support. Which was more demanding today since they Olympians I was in support of needed some hands on moving and guidance.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 08-15-2019 at 05:12 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    I woke up waaay earlier than usual at O-dark 30. Lotta stuff on my mind. Special Olympics, the coaching certification, the mock meet on Saturday and how well I might (or might not) do, Paul's passing, pool maintenance, the meet in Tulsa, and a few other more irritating personal matters.

My thoracic has been tweaky since the shrugs and I got cracked at the chiro yesterday. Even so, although feeling better, I'm still tight and went into the Jacuzzi in the dark and am now sitting with a big honking cold pack on me.

Since I was up early, Our Daughter's dog, Kronk, ambled over to me and smacked my elbow with his muzzle. His signal that he'd like ever so much to go out and do his doggy biznass. What the hey, since I was going to do light and easy conditioning, I took him along for a walk about 30 minutes before sunrise in the morning's grey murk. A gorgeous and enormous orangey full moon was setting in the West between the trees on the golf course across the road.

Now, on with the rest of the day. Until I crash and need a nap later.