Page 491 of 659 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493501541591 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,910 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Thank you Bergs.

Who knows? This year the drug tested Worlds were in Limerick, Ireland and the non-tested Worlds were in Leipzig, Germany. Maybe the testeds will be in Stockholm next year.
    That would be a thrill, Ill be there and support you.

Here's hoping Bergs.

Deload continues. Sets of 5.

Bench Press: 95-120-145.

Hammer High Row: 130-160-190.

Stretched.

Yesterday I got the study materials for the coaching cert this weekend. Been studying them and they are pretty informative with no Silly Bullshit I have seen so far.

Rounds of prowler, speed bag, SciFit, rower, heavy bag, and stretching.

Deload, finis. Sets of 5.

Deadlift: 145-180-210.

EZ Curl Bar Floor Press: 60-70-80.

Crunch: 50-50-50.

Stretched. The platform next to me had a young guy wearing the university's Army ROTC unit maroon t-shirt. Halfway through my lifting, he came over and struck up a conversation which culminated in asking me if I had been a cop. Since I was wearing an olive drab Blue Lives Matter cap replete with blue striped flag, it was something other than a guess on his part. He thanked me for my service (such as it was), and I returned thanks to him for his ongoing service.

The coaching certification, assuming (hoping!) I am successful at it, will have me as the only USPA certified coach in the state. The next two nearest are in the Quad Cities on the Iowa side and in Louisville, KY.

Long weekend with the coaching cert. More on that later. Meanwhile, back to the salt mines. Gotta get ready for the meet in Tulsa.

Squat: 250 for 4 singles with a backoff set of 5 with 225. Focus on hitting depth on each-and-every-rep.

Hammer Curls: Three sets of 5 with 150-155-155.

Reverse Hyperextensions: Three sets of 12 with 15-20-25.

Rear Scapulae Shrugs on Hammer Row: Three sets of 12 with 180-200-220.

Stretching was replaced with a big honking PVC pipe and rolling on it per the advice of the cert instructor to get my hamstrings and shoulders loosened up.

Rolled hamstrings. A little tricky, but not too uncomfortable.

Rolled thoracic up and down. A little more uncomfortable, with lots of snap, crackles, and pops like I was playing with DB's much despised bubble wrap. She hates that noise.

Rolled thoracic side to side. Pretty painful and more pops.

Finally rolled the lats by laying on my side on the pipe. It was straight out of the Inquisition it hurt so much, especially around the scapulae. Almost brought tears.

Then one last bit of upper back and traction on my lats and shoulder girdle by hanging from a bar for 30 seconds.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 08-29-2019 at 08:58 AM.

So, the coaching certification.

As mentioned, I got worked over to loosen up my hamstrings, lats, and shoulders. Hurt like Hell too. The instructor used a straight 12" tricep pushdown bar (knurled) as a probe and roller to effect some myofascial releases where they were needed. Much his and the class's amusement, I tapped out and called "Mate!" a couple of times. I came away with the advice to roll and hang as I described. This all stemmed from form and anthropometry assessments of me performing the lifts. Where the bar was not low enough on my back and my body's reluctance to settle in easily to a below parallel squat, he went to work on me. My mobility improved immediately, all the others in class noted it too.

He employed the familiar stick figures to illustrate good form. Which included the admonitions to keep a straight bar path over the midfoot.

A big difference was the advocacy for multiple methods, forms, techniques, and program design to lift big. Including macrocycles, mesocycles, and microcycles a la Kraemer and Fleck. I did these back in the 80's before I knew how to use Excel, but later dropped because I was more hypertrophy oriented back then. I'll give them and other methods another look and assessment.

A competion powerlifting bench press is a completely other animal. I learned how to arch effectively, move the bar down to the lower sternum, set my legs and hips for drive and thrust, and properly set my scapulae into depression. Not that the last was easy. Hence, the new shrug assistance exercises I have and am adding. I have the barest sense of awareness and control of them and perhaps can add enough poundage to my bench press to get back into or above 240 territory.

He showed us how to teach the deadlift from the top instead of the platform. Unlock slowly in phases fighting gravity with a very lightly loaded bar, master that, and then reverse the process into the concentric phase. Lot to think about with this. He also had us try sumo style. Anathema by SS doctrine, and he allowed as how the top records were done in conventional, but had us learn and try it where it might be appropriate for trainees.

The USPA rule book was covered and why the rules were the way they were and different from other federations. From there, he covered comp strategies for attempt selections as well as some useful metrics for estimating the time a meet might take, with the intervals between lifters on the platform for the three lifts covered. He recommended that if you are trying to qualify for Nationals or Worlds, to simply put in just enough to make the required total. No point in risking injuries.

This advice will have me making very easy lifts in Tulsa. Just enough for the total. Even so, I can set two National records in the bench press with a mere 192 lbs. and the deadlift with 330 lbs. Both are walks in the park for me.

The topic of measuring bar speed was introduced with a small plastic square called the Beast was mentioned, compatible with an app for the phone to measure and evaluate bar speed. This to assess progress and training effectiveness. I need learn more about this area to determine if it seems worthwhile. Refreshingly, RPE was not mentioned once in this 16 hour training block.

Bottom line is that this was one of the great formative bits of information I have ever had the good fortune to learn. Now to apply it, to me and others.

Back to conditioning. I lead off with speed bag, then prowler, rower, SciFit, medicine ball, and then the newly incorporated rolling and hanging. The latter takes 3-4 minutes and sweet JESUS(!) that pipe still hurts on the upper back and lats. Just as bad, if not worse, than yesterday but then the real hurt only lasts about 90 seconds. So I can suck it up and endure for that long.

I lead off with trying some limited pipe rolling of my lumbars and upper back to get loosier and goosier for a good arch. It seemed counterproductive, so this will be done afterwards henceforth.

Bench Press: 210 for 4 singles with a backoff set of 5 with 190. Man, is it difficult to try to remember, incorporate and actually perform a scapular depression and retraction, arch the lower back more, and drive up with the legs and hips off the press. Oh, and remember to make sure the buttocks stay in contact with the bench off the drive. Crazy making I tell you. Thank God I can get by with my 50 years of dialed in programming in this lift if I can't master it by the time we get to Tulsa. (cue Glen Campbell here)

Hammer High Row: 320 for 3 sets of 5.

Dip Shrugs: Bodyweight (223)-10-15 for 3 sets of 12.

Rolling and hanging. The rolling is getting less painful although still no fun. Except for the lats. That still is agonizing.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I lead off with trying some limited pipe rolling of my lumbars and upper back to get loosier and goosier for a good arch. It seemed counterproductive, so this will be done afterwards henceforth.

Bench Press: 210 for 4 singles with a backoff set of 5 with 190. Man, is it difficult to try to remember, incorporate and actually perform a scapular depression and retraction, arch the lower back more, and drive up with the legs and hips off the press. Oh, and remember to make sure the buttocks stay in contact with the bench off the drive. Crazy making I tell you. Thank God I can get by with my 50 years of dialed in programming in this lift if I can't master it by the time we get to Tulsa. (cue Glen Campbell here)

Hammer High Row: 320 for 3 sets of 5.

Dip Shrugs: Bodyweight (223)-10-15 for 3 sets of 12.

Rolling and hanging. The rolling is getting less painful although still no fun. Except for the lats. That still is agonizing.
    Dip shrugs? Thats a new one, I think. For the lats or??