Results 4,931 to 4,940 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    [emoji106]

Thanks Bergs.

Ball Cap.jpg

Ken and Emma showed tonight. I set some ground rules at the outset. Slow and easy, I had no intention of getting even slightly boogered up so as to ruin or diminish the meet.

I had them warm up, and alternate with moving hand deflection drills. Outside to inside and inside to outside counters to shoves, grabs, or strikes. Emma had trouble keeping her hands up high during the drills but with some attention and correction she got better.

After that it was alternating back and forth between her blue belt and Ken's blue belt 2nd degree techniques. They were both rusty after the break and needed a little coaching, correction, and calibration and smoothed out. Emma, who has grown and weighs 82 lbs. at (finally!) all of 5 feet tall, actually made Ken, who is 6'1" and 248 lbs. wince. It impressed both Ken and me.

Done with the meet and relaxing now.

It hit 97F here, but the heat didn't affect me at all. Thanks of an ice chest, lots of Gatorade and, judicious use of the Chilly Pad. No dizziness or cramping hamstrings like in other such un-air conditioned meets.

There was good news/bad news. The good news was that I could set Illinois state records even though I was not lifting in that state, but was a resident of Illinois. The bad news was that I could not set a World record because there were no World certified judges at this meet. National records, yes. Just not Worlds. Ah well.

I followed my plan to the letter with the following results:

Squats: State records in all three attempts.

Bench Press: 1st attempt-state record. 2nd and 3rd attempts-National records.

Deadlift: 1st attempt-state record. 2nd attempt-National record. 3rd attempt-World record. Even if it isn't official, it set the record.

This was the first meet I went 9 for 9 in my lifts. None were disallowed. I did get one red light in my 2nd and 3rd attempts in the squat, and one for my 2nd attempt in the deadlift.

I have to say, the judging was spotty. I'll own the red lights I got, although I didn't inquire as to what they were for. Probably depth on the squats and i have no idea what the issue was on the deadlift. In my opinion as well as DB's, there were a number of shallow squats that got passed as well as problematic bench presses. There were a couple of consistently hard nosed judges who got their own red lights in but the lifts got passed with two other white lights.

The deadlift bars had excellently sharp knurling which has my thumbs a touch raw, but otherwise I feel really good and not wiped out like after other meets.

Almost forgot, I got a gold in this meet too.

Congratulations, Im happy for you, so whats the next step after this and how was the other competitors?

I neglected to mention I also qualified for Nationals. So the next steps are to get my competition squat up over 280 and into 300 pound territory and my bench press to 242. That too is a World record in my age and weight class. Then there's my deadlift. The 363 went up without too much strain, so I have 10-20 more pounds and maybe even more I can grind out.

My total today was 811. At Nationals I need to total 875 or better to qualify for Worlds. I need to work on my confidence in squatting more at the right depth. That is the biggest challenge I face. I can compensate for it with the other two lifts, but I need to overcome my phobia.

Easing back into things today.

Speed bag was not yet replaced, so I vented my hate, shit, and discontent on the heavy bag. All the while imagining it was the bozo who keeps breaking the bags with his uninformed enthusiasm. Followed by playing around with bench dips*. The rowing, medicine ball toss, and finishing with rolling and external rotation work with a 15 lb. dumbbell and resistance band**.

I felt really good Sunday after the meet. Not very whacked at all. Just to be safe, I soaked in a hot bath tub. Monday morning was another story. My lower back had tightened up, but not in a debilitating way. Surprisingly, after the 7+ hour drive back from Tulsa it recovered.

DB will be posting some videos when she gets herself settled from the return. For certain, the world record deadlift of 363 lbs. will be posted.

* I'm doing some modifications to my routine. I'm dropping the shrugs, since it seems I have figgered out the cues for control of retracting and depressing them. More work on the triceps for a good lockout in the bench is in order, along with speed work. Still doing the cumulative singles for 3 weeks with a 4th week of speed work at 60%-70%. Then continuing on for another such cycle until I test my 1RM in week 12 of this. It should be interesting.

** The external rotation work paid off well at the meet. I settled the bar nice and low on the scapulae with no fuss or straining.

This morning was speed sets, or dynamic effort, or velocity based training. It goes by different names according to who espouses it. It 10 sets of 3 reps with 60 seconds rest between sets with 60% of 1RM moved as fast as could be done.

Bench Press: 10 x 3 with 140.

Hammer High Row: 10 x 3 with 225.

Bench Dips: 10 x 3 with bodyweight.

Rolling and external rotation work.

These speed sets are supposed to be good for cardio. Normally, my slower, heavier work with singles and such nets me 75%-80%+ of maximum heart rate. Today skimmed under that at 69%. Surprising that.

Grats on the gold, and the National Record lifts... even if administratively they don't count.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh the state and Nationals count, just not the World deadlift. And thank you BTW.

I have a query in to the USPA for Nationals asking if there will be World certified judges there. By then I'll break the currently unofficially broken World record by at least 10-40 lbs.

I got a light frisk and equipment check looking for supportive gear after each record coming off the platform. After an attractive young brunette handed me gently, I told her she had no future in TSA, should she sign on for that jobs program.

Also, there were three of us middle to old aged guys at the meet. On named Ray, a mere sprat of 43, went for a 4th attempt after setting a state record. Something the USPA lets you do with permission of the judges. I yelled out "Old guys rule!" To which he gave me a Roman salute worthy of Russell Crowe in Gladiator, and called back, "Damn right!"

Then there was Dom, who was a 58 year old superheavyweight in from Texas who hoisted a huge deadlift. I yelled out "Show these kids how it's done, Dom!" And he did.

Finally there was Bill, a venerable 78 years old in the 100 kg weight class. He had long silver hair in a pony tail, and this being Oklahoma and all, was almost certainly an injun. I didn't ask but his features were nearly the same as the guy on the old buffalo nickel. He went for his 3rd attempt in the bench and I called out, "Make it look hydraulic!" A spotter/loader looked over his shoulder at me and grinned. You know you made a good one when you get that reaction. Bill's wife, who was a classy looking lady with short white hair in a Yoga Is Magic t-shirt looked over at me and giggled. Bill made it look hydraulic.

Old Guys Rule.