starting strength gym
Page 497 of 659 FirstFirst ... 397447487495496497498499507547597 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,970 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

Had nearly a full house tonight with Ken, Jacob, and Emma. Then later an observer with her 9 year old to see if he was interested in the class. Mom was born and raised in Japan, and I figgered she wanted her son to connect with his culture. Nice lady.

Jacob's retention of some of the techniques was surprising and gratifying. He seems to have been practicing during the break. Emma struggled a little, but managed to keep her natural ability to move well and effectively with her footwork. I made sure the practice and learning of techniques was clearly visible to our visitors, and with luck I may have another beginning student next Wednesday.

Deadlift: 325 for 4 singles.

EZ Curl Bar Floor Press Lockouts: 160 for 3 sets of 5 and a backoff set of 130 for 8 reps.

Hip Belt Squat: 135 for 3 sets of 12. Going back to this for some more volume for my quads while sparing my low back for better recovery. I had to cinch in the belt a bunch being 50 lbs. lighter, and the apparatus wouldn't let me get low enough to break parallel. Next time these will be done on blocks to allow for better depth.

Crunch Machine: Sets of 12, 30-50-75.

I have finally had a chance to partially digest the Special Olympics powerlifter results database for Summer Games. I don't fully understand some of the award categories and I need to learn what the regional qualification cutoff totals are for Summer Games. I have queries in to the Powers That Be for further explication. This will prove to be an invaluable framework for planning and goal setting with those on Team Lightning Bolt who are interested in powerlifting.

More training of Special Olympian powerlifters at the Marion Gold's Gym. My hat's off to them. They let Team Lightning Bolt train for free. John was working his way back up the poundages. Val and Jereth are working on finding the sweet spots in terms of their lifting form and building confidence in getting under the bar and picking it up. It's all a matter of time, focus, persistence, with a dose of courage.

Some conditioning work with a healthy leavening of speed drills. Heavy bag, medicine ball toss (2 sets of 4), speed bag, SciFit, box jumps (2 sets of 5), rolling for hamstrings and lats with external rotator work with a resistance band.

I'm already coasting on fumes and it's only Tuesday of a really packed week. Retirement. I'm not sure I worked this hard when I was gainfully employed. But at least this is all of my own volition and it is far more rewarding than mere money can provide. Thanks of Social Security, Boeing's pension, and a few other things, that is not an issue now.

There's the usual Jujitsu sessions on tomorrow and Friday, with trip to the dentist this morning and training a new lifter, Lucas this afternoon. A Special Olympics planning meeting Thursday night and training another Olympian that afternoon. Then the Plane Pull in the morning and the Carbondale Police Reunion on Saturday evening. Whew!

Couple all that with a seriously disrupted sleep last night and a general malaise from the last stand of Summer holding on with debilitating 90F temperatures, and I am touch light headed just now.

I had the opportunity to work with another trainee this afternoon, Lucas. He's competed before and has really good form in the squat and bench press. Just a touch of fine tuning for hand spacing and foot positioning for a better back arch in the bench resulting in a slightly shorter bar path. His previous experience in the lift made it easier to spot things that will help him exceed his prior efforts. He deadlifts sumo and we worked on foot positioning and keeping the bar in close to the legs and body.

This session was all about form review and getting back in the groove. We both laughed a little about the likely Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS) coming in the next 24-72 hours. Gotta love it.

We discussed something everyone I train needs to know and remember. Always let me know when something doesn't feel good or quite right when they lift, particularly when I make a change in what they are doing to correct (as it looks to me anyway) some form issues. This is done to lift more injury free and/or lift more weight. It's not about giving me an answer to make me happy, it's about what works for them. Everyone is put together a little differently so, one standard template for lifting and form doesn't work for everyone. Small tweaks are needed for almost everyone.

A great session at the Carbondale Gold's with a friendly wave from the owner at his desk telling us not to worry about signing in. Some moderate work with some good outcomes and better things to come. Good job Lucas.

Seated Press: 160 for singles with a backoff set with 140 for 8 reps.

Lateral Raise: Sets of 12, 70-80-90.

Calf Raise: Sets of 12, 190-200-210.

Rolled and external rotator work.

The weather forecast for the Plane Pull looks good, around 75F for Noontime.

I've got the Special Olympics powerlifting binder reasonably well set up. It's something of an evolving work in progress. When it was only John I was training, I did it all on my phone. Since there are now three more lifters, I've renamed the Excel file on my phone from John's Routine to Special Olympics Lifters. Each lifter has their own sheet now and I print them out to keep in a binder, along with the Special Olympics powerlifting rules (pretty much a direct pull from the USAPL Rules) and the Summer Games powerlifting results. I'm still analyzing the results in the weight classes Team Lightning Bolt will have lifters in.

Ball Cap.jpg

Well only Angela and Gabriel showed tonight. I can't say I was sorry about Mason's absence. I presented their white belts to them and taught them how to tie them. A lesson I'm sure will be repeated more than a few times. Who knew tying a square knot could be so complex? Ah well.

Gabriel is turning into a real surprise for me. He was and is so quiet and shy seeming, I thought he'd be tough to teach. Instead, he retains things remarkably well and isn't afraid to hit hard. Angela is the hardest hitting girl I have yet to teach. She required no encouragement to do it too. Whap, wham, pop! Into the focus mitts as she whaled away. Gabriel also put some good pops into my torso that his mom looked slightly astonished at from across the room.

The true metal endures and the slag is sloughed off.

This morning's festivities consisted of prowler, speed bag, rower, heavy bag, medicine ball toss, the finally repaired Jacob's Ladder, and rolling with rotator work.

Squat: 250 for 5 singles followed by a backoff set of 195 for 4 reps. This was supposed to be for at least 8 reps, but I got light headed at #4. Might be the congestion making me a little woozy or the extra attention I was paying to getting a valsalva between reps. In any event, I am losing my voice and sounding like a pirate when I do talk.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 12, 140-150-160.

Reverse Hyperextension: Sets of 12, 35-40-45.

Rolled and external rotator work.

starting strength coach development program
    Ball Cap.jpg

Ken, Jacob, and Emma showed tonight. Emma has just turned 11 and her mother came to see where she does this Jujitsu stuff. Nice lady. Both she and Jacob have gotten back up to speed faster than I anticipated. They still are having adjustment of their technique required, especially Jacob who seems to struggle with what part of the arm, wrist, or hand to use in counters and escapes. So I review the basic parts with him and it calibrates and steadies him. Even so, his frustration with his failures of technique execution frustrate him tremendously and I have to find the balance between positive correction and encouragement to keep him at it. After some teeth grinding form him over some incorrect wrist movement, I reminded him that he had a hard time getting horse stance (kiba dachi) right, and now he has it down pat.

Sensei Wissman came in at the end to spar in preparation for an upcoming Karate tournament in Cape Girardeau. They observed the last couple of techniques being taught with keen interest. Good to see him again.

Now to rest up for the Special Olympics Plane Pull tomorrow.