starting strength gym
Page 500 of 659 FirstFirst ... 400450490498499500501502510550600 ... LastLast
Results 4,991 to 5,000 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    A trainer asked me how old I was and if he could video my squats. Sho nuff.
    LOL, but did he believe your age?

He didn't express incredulity if that matters. Stung a little frankly.

The shoulder has really flared up as the day has progressed. It hasn't been this bad for years. I've had to use my right hand to lift my left hand up to grip the steering wheel and then walk my fingers up the wheel to the 10 o'clock position. Could be I got too aggressive in the external rotation stretches. Bad enough I had to bail on training Special Olympians this afternoon. Hopefully this will ease off overnight.

Proof that enough Voltaren, Aleve, soaks in the Jacuzzi, and alternating hot and cold packs can work wonders. I am MUCH better this morning.

Even so, I erred on the side of caution and confined myself to mostly lower body conditioning stuff. The exception being my beloved speed bag, but only using the right hand. As for the rest, stationary bike, interspersed with walking (lotta walking possible in the Rec Center with over 240,000 sq. ft.), box jumps, elliptical, and rolling at the end. No messing with the external rotators today.

With my shoulder better, I coached Lucas, another Special Olympian, this morning. I had laid out a 5-3-1 routine on a spreadsheet for the next 8 weeks and we started with the 5's week. He did just fine on the reps and demonstrated good form once again. Not perfect, no one's is, including mine, but very good. Nothing to fix on his squat and just a little work on getting his hand spacing dialed in on the bench press. Can't go too wide or shoulder problems can flare up for some, and I need to remember to add in an overhead pressing movement as shoulder insurance as well. His sumo deadlift? Also like watching an end loader work. Smooth and easy looking. He keeps the bar glued to his shins and quads all the way up and back down. Just a little work on the break away from the floor so as to not engage the lumbars too heavily too soon.

Some good, hard work this morning for him. So hard, even I got the sweats loading for him. Yesterday the mere thought of hefting a 45 lb. plate on to and off a bar was unpleasant. All things in their own good time.

Bench Press: 210 for 6 singles followed by a backoff set of 190 for 8 reps. Shoulder held up fine. OTOH, my plate math failed me and I forgot to load a 10 lb. plate on the left side of the bar. Which I noticed immediately on the 1st rep taking the bar off the pins. DUH!

Hammer Row: 325 for 3 sets of 5 followed by a backoff set of 290 for 9 reps.

Bench Dips: One set of 12 with 15 lbs. Now THIS pinged my shoulder. No more of them for a while.

Rolling with no rotator work. Again.

I feel even a 2½lb difference when I misload. Shoulders sure can be unpredicatble, last week a day after doing lower body work I was miserable. Yesterday I did presses and today its fine, even though its raining and kind of chilly here. Years ago I decided dips were not for me.

Yeah, I'm going to substitute cable pressdowns for those dips.

Ball Cap.jpg

Angela and Gabriel showed along with Ken and Ethan to assist in training and learn better how to teach. Gabriel continues to improve, especially in footwork. Angela gets embarrassed easily but at the most unexpected things. I got out the BoB, or Dave as he has been rechristened to teach them striking and targeting skills. Gabriel is dead on with his aim. He never missed once, and is good with his elbows.

Angela hits so hard it rocks Dave back on his water filled base. She's a real tigress. Which took me aback slightly when I was teaching her the two handed push off from a release from a front choke. This is after a two handed strike to the solar plexus, wedging the hands off the neck, and then a descending two handed strike to the nose. She gave me a light pitty-pat to the shoulders and I called her on it. It took a little work, but eventually she gave me a hard enough shove to move me back a little.

starting strength coach development program
    Quite a day. It began at O-dark 30 when I woke for the usual reason. Sooo comfy under the covers, but, gotta get up. Then my brain went into gallop mode which only got worse when one of our cats decided to march up and down on my a few times. Gave it up and got ready for the day. Which consisted of a pre-dawn walk around Lake on the Campus. Got some nice photos of it and the waning moon.

Spoke with the regional Special Olympics director who informed me there is a unified S/O powerlifting event in the formative stages for the region, and did I want to be part of the planning? Well yes ma'am! Unified events pair S/O athletes with regular athletes working in teams. I'd reviewed the concept for powerlifting and still need to better understand the scoring process. It looks a little obscure now, but I'm sure the director will get me up to speed.

Special Olympics also has another fundraiser called Row for Dough. Teams gather to hit up rowing machines for time and distance on Halloween. One of the prizes is for best costume so I'm going as a viking. Should be a hoot.