starting strength gym
Page 515 of 659 FirstFirst ... 15415465505513514515516517525565615 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,150 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This turned into quite a day before it was over. After the meeting this morning, I got a call from Region K to ask if I could assess and certify some lifters some 40 miles North of here for the upcoming meet. Special Olympics requires such an assessment of the lifters for squats given the technique and balance issues inherent in performing them correctly and safely. So, off I go on Saturday morning to the Rend Lake College Rec Center.

Then the prospect of maybe training someone else unconnected with Special Olympics from a chance encounter at Walmart. Amazing.

Last but not least, Jujitsu tonight. The only beginner was Seth, so I had Ken work with him again to develop his teaching skills still further. He managed to fix Seth's difficulties with keeping his chin tucked on his chest so as not to bonk the back of his head during a fall. This hard for the kids because the head is heavy and their neck muscles are weak. But Ken had Seth pull it off. I complimented them both on their achievements. In a side bar, I worked on some open hand striking techniques with Ethan. Block and strike to the open ear canal with alternating hands. Between the likely ear drum percussion and the two-directional sideways bouncing of the brain inside the skull casing, a near certainty of taking the fight out of the attacker.

Seth's mom asked some good questions about why falling was important which were preventing injury on impact and taking a fall from a joint lock to avoid or prevent something broken or torn. At the end, Ethan asked a very interesting question about using a cell phone as an improvised weapon. It took some thought, but it turns out that a cell phone dug into a wrist makes a pretty effective leverage device to effect a release from a grab on clothing or the arm. It also hurts a lot when used as a blunt force trauma inflictor to the rib cage, neck, or collar bone. I'd never given it a moment's thought until Ethan asked. My students are the greatest.

Terrible night's sleep. All the things yesterday went into a swirl and I awoke at O-dark 30 with brain gallop. Gave up and got up at 4:45.

Squats: 335 for 8 singles. My form must have drifted off in #5 and #7, they were very hard pulls.

Box Squats: Too gassed and passed.

Dips: Sets of 5, 35-40-45. Very pleasantly surprised by this, having anticipated a lot of fruitless grinding.

Foam rolling of hamstrings and back from pelvis to cranium finished by stretching of hamstrings and quads.

Seated Press: 165 for 8 singles.

Lateral Raise: 20 for 3 sets of 12.

Cable Pulldown: 80 for 3 sets of 12.

Calf Press: Sets of 12, 270-320-370.

Foam rolling followed by stretches. A back to back lifting day to get back on track and also because I'll be out of town for the morning and perhaps longer.

Up to Rend Lake College this morning to work with some other Special Olympians. A couple of experienced lifters who got a little technique tuning up in low bar squat, how to set a good arch with some leg drive in the bench press, and head and neck alignment with the deadlift. Along with the importance of keeping the bar in close to the center of mass in the deadlift. Both of them lift sumo style which made it a little tricky for me, since I deadlift conventional style, but it seemed to go well. In demonstrating the importance of head and neck alignment, I moved one lifter's head to the side while having him resist me pushing his arm down. The demonstration of head and neck aligned versus misaligned made the point very clear for him and the other guy, along with their coaches. They smoked their squat assessments with ease.

After that, I worked with a larger group of Olympians who were still learning the basics and getting some confidence under the bar. Great group of people, athletes and coaches all.

Squats: 260 for 9 singles.

Cable Hammer Curls: 235 for 3 sets of 12.

The wider hand spacing I can use now for squats which allows a lower position on my back has my lower back feeling unstressed and strong. So I am dropping the reverse hyperextensions for my lower back. Why put in more work if it's not needed now?

Conditioning today was an eclectic mix of a lot of hand/eye stuff and explosiveness among other things. Rounds of handball, speed bag, box jumps and medicine ball toss for 2 sets of 3, heavy bag, prowler push, rower, finished off with hard pipe roll on hamstrings (those suckers are really giving me some grief if I sit too long on a drive), foam roller on back from L5 to C1 on the spine, and last but not least more hamstring stretches.

Stayin' loose ain't easy for us geezers.

Bench Press: 9 singles with 215. A slight tweak in my right anterior deltoid. Gotta monitor that closely.

Swiss Bar Lockouts: 3 sets of 5 with 180.

Hammer Row: 3 sets of 5 with 360.

Ball Cap.jpg

Not every session on the mat can be some mystic Miyagi-like engagement. The first clue was when Emma and Jacob showed up because the park district told them that last Friday's cancelled session (due to urgent unforeseen events) was moved to tonight. A saving grace was Ethan showing up. So we divided the class into beginners, which was Seth, and intermediates, Emma and Jacob. This could have been OK too, except those two have developed a quasi-sibling relationship which degenerated into squabbles on their portion of the mat. Ethan had offered to take them and couldn't get them in order while I was teaching Seth.

So I intervened and gave them a stern lecture about their lack of respect for each other in general and toward Ethan in particular. Emma collapsed into the sulks for a while and Jacob attempted a vigorous verbal defense which I shut off in short order. Then I switched over to teaching them while Ethan took over with Seth. I've never had to get that direct with the kids before. Back in California I handed out some serial push ups and sit ups to get some order into onsies here and there, but never to break up something like that. Once we got rolling I got them back into relearning their blue belt techniques. As is so often the case Jacob needed some demonstration of why it was done the way it was since he thought he had a better idea. Once he got his idea countered a couple of different ways he finally got the message.

Not a stellar night.

Some more variety and Joycean stream of consciousness selection of conditioning stuff. Speed bag, Jacob's Ladder, elliptical, heavy bag, crunches.

starting strength coach development program
    Deadlifts: 9 singles with 335. After 6, the reps started to feel harder than usual. Maybe because I was playing around with my form a little.

Box Squats: 150 for 8 sets of 2.

Dips: Sets of 5, 40-45-50. Finished off with a 45 lb. plate suspended on the dip belt chain. Because it looked formidable.