starting strength gym
Page 533 of 659 FirstFirst ... 33433483523531532533534535543583633 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,330 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back to the Den for some conditioning. Repeated rounds of pummeling the heavy bag, kettlebell swings, medicine ball tosses, speed bag, medicine ball slams. No box jumps because my left foot was feeling dodgy again. Hitting something again is immensely satisfying and cathartic.

Still in search of 1RM's to rebuild my program.

Bench Press: 45-5, 95-5, 135-1, 185-1, 205, 210-1. That last single was hard, but not quite all I had. Next time.

Hammer Pulldown: 225 for 3 sets of 5.

Incline Close Grip Bench Press: 135 for 3 sets of 5.

The plan was to paddle around Evergreen Lake this morning. I woke up to some drizzle, checked my Dark Sky weather app and saw some storms to the West in Missouri. SomI rolled the dice and proceeded. Having learned that I can drive big things around safely with the back hatch partially open I loaded my kayak into the Edge and bungeed it in. It was a great deal on sale at Rural King, a Sun Dolphin Aruba for $95.

Launch was a snap from the boat ramp in Evergreen Park and I discovered a brisk West wind was sweeping the lake. So I hugged the shore, using points of land to shelter from the worst of the wind. I spotted a group of Canada geese along the South shore. Ma and Pa goose with some juveniles that had just molted the last of their downy grey/yellow fuzz and gotten the first of their adult plumage. Ma and Pa split one way and the juvies went the other and took shelter on the bank. Cutting South to North back to the ramp entailed navigating across some Western lateral chop on the lake.

Altogether, a pleasant paddle of 37 minutes just a mere 10 minutes from Casa de Hurling.

Squats: 45-5, 95-5, 145-3, 195-1. Being careful to reset my form and ramp up in these even more than with deadlifts. Bailing with deadlifts is easy, just let go of the bar. With squats and the bar on your shoulders, not so much. I worked out a different way to set up the squat rack to allow for a plate to plate wide hand spacing for my inflexible and aging shoulders.

Cable Curl: Sets of 12, 50-60-70.

Summer is here in Southern Illinois. It gets like Guatemala here because the heat and humidity pumps up from the Gulf of Mexico. Thus, it behooves you to get any exercise done in the earlies. Because later it's just too soporific. It was 71F with 88% humidity and a 77% dew point. Like trying to breathe while being waterboarded under a hot wool blanket at that relatively low temp. Even so, it had it's rewards. SIU Lake on the Campus has this really nice concrete and wire railed causeway in one of it's many coves along the South side of the lake. So while I wanted to have it made in the shade of the trees for the most part, I started out along it and saw Ma mallard and clutch of her ducklings paddling frantically away from me.

Altogether a pleasant walk around the South and West end of the lake taking it easy after squats yesterday. I was expecting a massive case of DOMS, but happily, not yet. Later today, DB and I will be loading in fish for a Special Olympics fishing derby at the height of the heat, which is expected to be around +/- 90F. (groan)

Beats actually living right on the gulf Mexico and training outdoors hah. Good to see you still after it Hurling.

Bench Press: 215 for 4 singles. I got this back sooner than anticipated. I suspect deadlifts as well, but we'll see soon. Squats may take a little longer.

Close Grip Incline Press: 140 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer Low Row: Sets of 5, 90-180-200.

Hey Mark, glad to see the rapid rebound, so do you have a meet coming up in the near future. The gyms here in NYS are still closed, thankfully that doesn´t affect me.

Me too. My next meet is the USPA Drug Tested Nationals in September. Depending on how I do and recover from that one, I may head back to California for the Drug Tested North American Cup in Costa Mesa.

starting strength coach development program
    Another session at the Den to hit the fast twitch muscles. There were three rounds each of speed bag, box jumps, kettlebell swings, clap push ups, pummeling the heavy bag, and medicine ball tosses. Very exhilarating!