starting strength gym
Page 535 of 659 FirstFirst ... 35435485525533534535536537545585635 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,350 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Seated Press: 45-5, 75-5, 105-1, 145-1-1. I'm having trouble finding the groove and a good bar path off the J-hooks in this rack set up. It seems to be hurting my shoulders a little. Gotta find the sweet spot with the rack J-hook height and the upright bench set up.

Lateral Raise: Sets of 12, 90-95-100.

Hammer Pulldown: 200, 5-5-3.

Calf Press: Sets of 12, 160-210-230.

Ball Cap.jpg

Today's conditioning was all about Jujitsu. I drove to the Lake on the Campus footpath and found a place off the path along the lake so as not to freak out any joggers or walkers passing by. In addition to the walk, I went through the full body warmup routine. After that the empty hand striking and blocking drills, and then proceeded to mime my way through counters to some grabs and strikes. I moved on to weapons, using my taser flashlight as a short yawara, the Ozark Trails bat light flashlight as a baton, one of my knives for an 18 part cutting drill and finishing using my walking staff as a bo for strikes and blocks.

Squat: 45-5, 95-5, 135-1, 185-1, 240-1, 250-1, 260-1. My lower back has been feeling dodgy and it was tempting to rest another day, but no. Into the breach once again.

Hammer Curls: Sets of 5, 115-120-125.

Today's conditioning was a 2 hour kayak paddle on Devil's Kitchen Lake.

Bench Press: 215 for 6 singles. This was better than expected after the lingering soreness from paddling yesterday.

Close Grip Incline Bench Press: Sets of 5, 145-150-150.

Hammer Row: Sets of 5, 215-220-225.

Having wearied of all the exhortations for "unity" lately, I decided to hike the Harmony Trail in the Crab Orchard Refuge. It struck me that unity has some echoes of the bound rods that Mussolini's fascists used as their symbol. Sure enough, unity was one of their key underlying points. So much for antifas. Turns out, they are in fact, fa's. As explicated by a wiser head than mine, Robert Paxton says that fascism is "a form of political behavior marked by obsessive preoccupation with community decline, humiliation, or victimhood and by compensatory cults of unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed nationalist militants, working in uneasy but effective collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties and pursues with redemptive violence and without ethical or legal restraints goals of internal cleansing and external expansion". Sounds about right.

The trail is an easy and nice one that is well maintained with views of wetlands and ponds, sunlight streaming through the trees, and the sounds of birds everywhere. Sleepy cooing of mourning doves, the drill of a red headed woodpecker, and a bunch of other tweeters I couldn't identify. This weekend was going to be all about the heat and humidity again, and it was 77F, 88% humidity with a 68% dewpoint. The shade and what breeze made it through the trees made it reasonably pleasant though.

Deadlifts: 325 for 6 singles. At last! Dropping 15 lbs. off made all the difference and I'm getting all my reps now. I also noticed the bar coming out from my shins off the floor just a bit. So I gotta remember to sit back more and pull inward a touch as well as upward to close that gap.

Dips: Sets of 5, 35-40-45.

I woke up tired and creaky. Almost bagged on lifting entirely, bit then I recalled that momentary perception of discomfort is not necessarily a predictor of a good session lifting. I did, however, eschew box squats because I had put so much of what I DID have into the DL's.

Conditioning today with several rounds of speed bag, box jumps, kettlebell swings, medicine ball tosses, heavy bag, and medicine ball slams.

Seated Press: 45-5, 75-5, 105-1, 135 for 6 singles. I finally am closing in, if not having found the sweet spot for set up in this lift. The right back angle, the right j-hook height, and the right dynamics for taking the bar off the hooks.

Lateral Raise: Sets of 12, 100-102-105.

Hammer Pulldown: 200 for 3 sets of 5.

Calf Press: Sets of 12, 230-250-270.

starting strength coach development program
    A LOT of rain and thunder yesterday, not to forget a cacophony of frogs last night when the rain stopped. Judging from the dense scattering of egg cases floating on our pool this morning, it must have been a good time had by all amphibians great and small.

Despite 100% humidity, a 77% dew point, soggy ground, and dripping leaves, I decided to take a contemplative stroll through the Fernlands preserve. DB and I had a memorial service to attend for one of the Special Olympians we knew from coaching and I wanted to start the day with more solemnity that the charged atmosphere of a gym affords. Also, my bum knee had been acting up yesterday (probably from the box jumps) and I spent the evening alternating between the Jacuzzi, a cold pack, Voltaren gel, and some ibuprofen. So an easier day of active recovery seemed like a good idea.

The bridge I helped rebuild over the stream that runs through Fernlands now has new side rails. A good idea, given the drop of nearly 10 feet from the span to the stream bed. There were some substantial vines hanging down that had me thinking of Tarzan hanging around. But not for long, because I heard a whitetail buck snorting and crashing through the brush about 25 yards away. I'd never heard one snort before, so that particular sound yanked my attention level to red alert for a couple of seconds. The path was scattered with the ferns the preserve take it's name from along with some new fungus among us. While the stream is not a deep one, it has carved a deep channel with deadfalls along it.

It was good to get back to the Edge and into some A/C.