starting strength gym
Page 539 of 659 FirstFirst ... 39439489529537538539540541549589639 ... LastLast
Results 5,381 to 5,390 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu Zooming once again after an enforced hiatus from injuries and visitors.

Today's work was with yawara sticks and batons. Both strikes and transitions from hand to hand.

Well, it finally happened. After so much of the initial hysteria looked to have settled down too.

Today was deadlifts at the Southern Illinois University Rec Center. I forgot my chalk and saw this guy bench pressing with a small zip bag on the floor by him. His flowing gray locks were pulled into a shoulder blade length pony tail and he looked to be in his 50's. It seemed unlikely he'd have any chalk, but I approached him from a distance and asked him if he had any chalk I could borrow. Nope.

So OK, thanks, and off to deadlift. I managed all my singles without chalk happily. He kept watching me, off and on, but then I'm used to that. No one expects to see a geezer deadlifting 325 for singles, especially in the Rec.

Next up was dips. At that point Mr. Ponytail was using the cable crossover in the general proximity of the dip bars. Since I hardly ever want to come between someone and their adoration of themselves in the mirror, I crossed over behind him to get the dip belt. I made the critical error of crossing in front of him with it, since it looked like he was completing his last reps. As I chained up a 45 plate to the belt, he called out, "You need to keep your distance from me!"

I was pretty surprised by that and said "Hey, I'm at least 6 feet from you." He went on at length about me crowding him and I needed to keep back. He moved toward me a step or so during his tirade. I stepped back and told him I was 9 feet from him. I moved to one side and paced off the distance. He didn't like that either, and said I wasn't following the rules. Since he was masked up from his collarbones to the bridge of his nose in one of those turtleneck looking gaiters, I figured he must be referring to my not wearing a mask.

The Rec does not require a mask during exercise. I informed him of that rule and said that since my heart rate was still pounding along at 130 bpm from the deadlifts, I was not about to have one on with any attendant CO2 buildup.

He said he was going to talk to a manager. "Good idea, you weasly tattletale. Let's both go, I want to complain about your aggressive attitude!" The kids working the desk started laughing when Mr. Ponytail came up to whine. I told them he wasn't joking and neither was I. After listening to him lie about how I started yelling at him and crowding him, I told the kids my name and where I'd be doing dips. "You can listen to him tattle while I keep lifting."

As I was finishing my dips one of the young desk ladies asked me for my side of the story, which I related. She said not to worry, but she had to write a report because of his complaint. No problem. Contact me if you need me later.

I finally got confronted by a mask nazi. What a day.

Anyway, back to lifting.

Deadlift: 325 for 9 singles.

Dips: Bodyweight plus 55 lbs. for 3 sets of 5.

Jeez Mark, I still get annoyed seeing these paranoid people driving their cars while wearing a mask, and the gyms in NYS still aren't allowed to open, thanks to the mighty you-know-who.gov! I'm so thankful I've been able to build up my own gym over the years, and that the gym I'm using while I'm here in Vermont is sane enough not to expect it's patrons to train in masks!

" I vant to be alone"

Yeah guys, it really took me aback initially. Then I got pissed.

Decided to get in some speed and ballistic work. Kettlebell swings, speed bag, box jumps, heavy bag, medicine ball toss.

Seated Press: 160 for 9 singles. Corrected after some stupid plate math error on the first couple of reps.

Lateral Raise: 95 for 3 sets of 12.

Cable Pulldown: 75 for 3 sets of 8.

Calf Press: Sets of 12, 380-400-420.

The long awaited Blue Lives Matter mask arrived. In my ongoing quest to afflict the woke, the snowflakes, and the generally butt hurt, I wore it to the gym. If I gotta wear one, it might as well irritate those who done need getting irritated. Didn't see Mr. Ponytail this morning.

More conditioning with rounds of speed bag, prowler, Jacobs Ladder, elliptical, liver punches and uppercuts on the BoxingMaster, then the rower.

The mask drama at the Rec continues. While sitting and waiting for DB to finish her pool time I was whiling away the time on my phone. Not wearing a mask. An SIU employee (not a student) told me to wear a mask. I checked my FitBit and my pulse was still hammering along at 135 bpm (90% of Maximum Heart Rate). I told him that and said I didn't want to play games with CO2 rebreathing. He insisted so I put it on and told him if I passed out to be sure to call the EMT's.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 08-13-2020 at 11:40 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats: 270 for 9 singles.

Hammer Curls: 130 for 3 sets of 5.

More covid madness manifested itself. I was lifting in a converted racquetball court with 3 power racks, some free standing squat stands, and 2 platforms. I was alone while warming up and then 3 young women came in to lift. Then a little later, 2 guys. Shortly thereafter, a masked student employee walked by and said the capacity for that room was 2 people and the last ones to arrive needed to do stuff elsewhere. The last 2 guys left. Me and the girls stayed put. The area was 40' x 20'. Keeping 6' apart was no issue for the 6 of us.