starting strength gym
Page 549 of 659 FirstFirst ... 49449499539547548549550551559599649 ... LastLast
Results 5,481 to 5,490 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My right outer ankle and Achilles were giving me the miseries this morning, so I dosed up with two Aleve, slathered on some Voltaren on the area, wrapped an ace bandage on it and laced up my hiking boots tight.

Accordingly, I stuck with things that would spare my ankle. Speed bag, rower, SciFit, medicine ball toss, and heavy bag.

Deload: 70% of 1RM.

The ankle was still bugging me, so all the same stuff was in play with treating and supporting it. But since today was upper body work the foot, while unpleasant to live with, didn't affect my lifting.

Seated Press: 125 for 5 sets of 2.

Weighted Dips: 50 for 5 sets of 2.

Hammer High Row: 190 for 5 sets of 2.

Ball Cap.jpg

Some Jujitsu by way of Zoom this noon. In addition to striking work with the short yawara and club, we had some discussion, demonstrations, and drills in foot positioning and how it helps or hinder how you can step or maneuver out of the way or to bring more strength and leverage to bear on joint locks and takedowns. The way the foot is oriented sets up how your hips and torso can turn and use their musculature on an attacker well beyond how strong your hands and arms are.

Then there was some more work on how to off balance someone (kuzushi) in a set up for a throw or joint break. Simply pushing or pulling has limitations, because if used alone that way and just in linear movements can be ineffective in someone stronger than you. So pulling in an elliptical motion makes it more difficult to resist or overcome by the attacker. This included incorporating a hand strike to the head to get someone moving in the direction of the throw before using the rest of your own and the attacker's body to bring them down.

The discomfort in my feet is ebbing gradually, in fact not to bad this morning. But I took it easy on them again prepping for a mock meet to test my current 1RM's for the upcoming meet next month in Indiana. Government permitting of course, something that always has to be added in these times.

Rounds of speed bag, rower, medicine ball toss, SciFit, and heavy bag.

The gradual clearing of my right foot came back with a vengeance in the evening. In fact it woke me up at 12:30 it hurt so much. I had to take a painkiller to get back to sleep.

So today was more Voltaren on the ankle, an Ace bandage wrap, and my shin high boots tied very tightly for support. I deemed it not worth chancing max efforts in a mock meet this morning despite the very diminished pain from last night. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Conditioning (because I just CAN'T not do SOMETHING!) today was much the same as yesterday sparing the feetsies with a few variations: rower, speed bag, medicine ball slam, heavy bag, crunch machine, and SciFit.

Good luck with that, I say a prayer for your foot.

Thanks Bergs.

Mock meet day.

Squat: 1st attempt-245, 2nd attempt-275, 3rd attempt-300.

Bench Press: 1st attempt-245, 2nd attempt-275, 3rd attempt-230.

Deadlift: 1st attempt-345, 2nd attempt-385, 3rd attempt-nada. That 2nd attempt with 385 was everything I had.

Altogether, a really good session. I haven't squatted 300 to depth in maybe a year and that 385 I pulled was 5 lbs. over my last best effort. All for a total of 915 lbs. which is more than 100 lbs. more than I needed to qualify for Drug Tested Worlds.

Good work Mark! AND you're how old? 39?

starting strength coach development program
    Heh. Not for 41 years now.