starting strength gym
Page 556 of 659 FirstFirst ... 56456506546554555556557558566606656 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,560 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Back to the SIU Rec Center for some foot friendly conditioning. Not that it felt bad this morning, but I had an appointment with the foot doc to have it looked at for all my problems lately. More on that later.

Rounds of speed bag, prowler, rower, heavy bag, and medicine ball toss.

To no surprise at all the doc said I have degenerative joint disease. With my history of a broken right ankle in high school football, another one in NCAA Judo, and lastly a small bone in my foot over 10 years ago in Jujitsu, I expected something like this. It seems my ankle joint is worn flat instead of the normal concave of a healthy joint. So now I can add a dose of Meloxicam to my morning pill routine.

Thats a shitty message, I think you are really good at adapting to your aches and pains. I salut your will and stamina!

Well thanks Bergs. But if the meds fix the problem, much as I'd prefer to not use them otherwise, I AM 70 and I am grateful that there's at least something that might help. My foot and ankle issues have kept me from hiking some beautiful country down here and I am hoping to get back out there.

Preparatory Loading @ 75% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 175 for 5 sets of 4.

Close Grip Incline Press: 105 for 5 sets of 4.

Hammer Row: 170 for 5 sets of 4.

Preparatory Loading @ 75% of 1RM. Sets of 4.

Deadlift: 115-185-255-285.

Box Squats w/Safety Squat Bar: 55-105-120-120-120-120.

Conditioning at the Den in Carterville this morning. Rounds of 3 each with speed bag, box jumps, clap push ups, kettlebell swings, medicine ball slams, heavy bag assault, plate halos, and medicine ball tosses.

While the Meloxicam seems to be damping down the foot pain nicely, it's not quite gone entirely. DB and I spent yesterday afternoon assisting in a Special Olympics promo video for the upcoming Polar Plunge (virtual this year - [sigh]) and there were soft mole runs all over the grounds where we were. Something in the uneven ground tweaked my ankle slightly and as the afternoon and evening wore on, it began to give me some minor grief. This despite a new extra-heavy duty ankle brace and tightly laced sip zip tactical boots. Getting old is not for sissies, dagnabbit! With this in mind I was profoundly careful doing box jumps this morning. So far, so good.

I'm considering starting to train for the Highland Games again. I quit last time because of a lackadaisical response from a couple of organizers in Peoria and elsewhere that never could seem to be bothered to respond to my queries about the events. So I went back to competing in powerlifting again after getting inspired by coaching some lifters at the Special Olympics Summer Games. The atmosphere at a meet always has a lot of addictive free ranging testosterone, which the women lifting at a meet only seem to magnify. Ah laddies and lassies, but the Games now. Also a lot fun and camaraderie.

Gauleiter Pritzker announced Region 5, where I live, is moving to lighter restrictions today. Maybe I can start teaching Jujitsu again.

Preparatory Loading @ 75% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 135 for 5 sets of 4.

Pullover and Press: 75-5, 95-3, 115-1, 125-1, 135-1.

Hammer Curls: 115-3, 125-1, 135-1, 145-1.

More rounds of conditioning at the Den this morning, the SIU Rec Center being on reduced hours from 4 to 8 (again!) because of the holiday. (grumble)

I'm cycling up to train for the Highland Games so I have incorporated some games specific movements. Plate halos, speed bag, clap push ups, kettlebell swings, heavy bag, sledge hammer overhead swings, medicine ball tosses, and cable rotations.

The foot improvements from the Meloxicam seem to be on track so far. No problems so far.

starting strength coach development program
    Just read your log for the 1st time in a long while. Congrats on your meet Mark! That's a pretty respectable total and to be ranked 4th in the world is pretty special.