starting strength gym
Page 565 of 659 FirstFirst ... 65465515555563564565566567575615 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,650 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A glorious 80F here today, so I got into the kayak for a paddle around the lake we live next to. It was the first of the year and evidently I retained and improved my paddling technique. I didn't come in wet all over my lower half from drips off the paddle or shaft. A neighbors German shepherd barked ferociously in defense of his lake and some green card Canada geese took exception to sharing the water with me as evidenced by their indignant honking. Some of the most enjoyable cardio ever with a Heart Hate of 127 @ 84% of Maximum Heart Rate.

In other happenings, Special Olympics is spinning back up at long last. A couple of athletes have contacted me wanting to start lifting again. I managed to confirm with the local Gold's owner that he will let me train them there at no cost. Nice to know I don't have to scramble and plead with another facility to train at. Spring Games are coming in a month or so.

Preparatory Loading @ 75% of 1RM.

Sets of 3.

Deadlifts: 295-305. Programming called for 285. Once again, ahead of the curve.

Hip Belts Squats: 245-245.

Music was Purple Haze, Hallelujah Chorus, Stars and Stripes Forever, Watch Her Strut, Lawrence of Arabia Theme, Magnificent Seven, Marseillaise, Shipping Up to Boston, Bad to the bone, Mission Impossible, Those Caissons Go Rolling Along, I'm So Excited, Tusk, Pines of Rome, Rawhide.

Preparatory Loading @ 75% of 1RM.

Sets of 3.

Seated Press: 135-140-145-150.

Weighted Dips: 50-52-55-57.

Hammer High Row: 240-245-250-255.

Symphonic accompaniment was Crazy Train, Highway to Hell, Mars the Bringer of War, James Bond Theme, Ritual Fire Dance, Fame, Mississippi Queen, Rambling Gambling Man, Scheherazade.

Rounds of speed bag, box jumps, medicine ball toss, heavy bag, and SciFit.

Interesting day today.

First, I spotted an article in the SIU newspaper, the Daily Egyptian. There was a photo of one of my Jujitsu students on the front page and an article about him. He had some nice things to say about me.

“One of the things that inspired me was my jiu-jitsu instructor,” Christensen said. “He’s in his seventies now and he still does power lifts. He kept trying to suggest that when your back goes out at a certain age you were never coming back from that.” Daily Egyptian | A roller coaster cycle: Carbondale native shares fitness journey

Later I went to a martial arts class I was invited to by the Karate teacher I share a room with at the park district. We worked on staff and sword technique. The staff work was different and interesting, traditional Japanese stuff that is not like what my Jujitsu teacher shows us. The sword work all started from a kneeling position like you were still in medieval Japan. Not exactly compelling. I have mixed feelings about returning.

I don't post this stuff to impress or complain. Although it might sound like the latter when I talk about things gone less than well. This gets posted as a form of self discipline, to reinforce the task of doing what needs to be done to avoid decline. Also to let others know that not all of what one does are triumphs.

Yesterday exacted a toll from me. I woke up with my lumbars in some of the worst discomfort I've had in some time. My guess is the sword technique done from kneeling to jumping up and drawing the sword while dropping back to a knee in the downward cut. Not making the learning of that terribly enticing to me. Martial arts to me have become about dealing with the current practical hazards we face.

So anyway, no squatting for me with that back. Instead off to the chiropractor for some rearrangement of the vertebrae back to where they belong.

Then some lumbar sparing things like speed bag, SciFit (love that back support while seated!), heavy bag, medicine ball toss, and the crunch machine.

Musical inspiration courtesy of Run Like Hell, Death of Siegfried, Up Around the Bend, Smuggler's Blues, Beethoven's 5th, and We Will Rock You.

Woof! What a day. Lifting followed immediately my Zooming in on Jujitsu. I'm feeling wasted.

Primary Loading @ 80% of 1RM.

Squat: 240 for 5 sets of 3. The back still wasn't completely recovered but I got 'em all and to depth.

High Pulls: 135 for 3 sets of 2.

Music was 1812 Overture, Eye of the Tiger, Bolero, Amazing Grace, Mississippi Queen, Welcome to the Jungle, Shipping Up to Boston, Patton, Radar Love, O Fortuna, Star Spangled Banner, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, and Kashmir.

Jujitsu ironically was more staff and club work with similar moves to Thursday's session. But better taught and presented in a more comprehendible manner. Really sore and tired.

Primary Loading @ 80% of 1RM.

Sets of 3.

Bench Press: 195-195-195-200-200.

Push Press: 105-110-115-120-125. A triple with the weight that was my 1 RM. Not bad.

Hammer Row: 290-300-305.

Background was Raiders of the Lost Ark, When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Takin a Ride, The Devil Went Down to Georgia, Capriccio Espagnol, Gloria, Folsom Prison Blues, Finlandia, Marine Corps Spirit, Fire Down Below, Immigrant Song.

Rounds today of speed bag, box jumps, SciFit, heavy bag, elliptical, handball, and medicine ball slams.

starting strength coach development program
    First coaching and practice session for Special Olympics Team Ohana. This was track and field prep and evaluation for Spring Games. It was so good to see some of the athletes DB and I already knew again, and then too learning the names of the new athletes we will be coaching.

The events were the tennis ball and softball throw along with the mini-javelin for the field events. Sadly, for some reason the shot put was not being contested this year, no idea why not. I helped with the first two and managed to get some better throws from the athletes as they progressed. Then off to assist with the 50 and 100 meter dashes.

It looks like I'll have at least 3 lifters who are very eager to get back under the iron. We are all looking very much forward to it.