starting strength gym
Page 577 of 659 FirstFirst ... 77477527567575576577578579587627 ... LastLast
Results 5,761 to 5,770 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Your playlists are always epic. Your lifts beyond that.

Thank you Kind Sir. Those accumulating triples are getting really wearing. I'm considering going back to a Hepburn routine of singles.

Rounds of box jumps, speed bag, rower, medicine ball toss, heavy bag, and cable rotations for conditioning today.

80% of 1RM.

Seated Press: 145, 3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2.

Weighted Dips: 60, 3-3-3-3-3-2-2-2.

Music: Kashmir, Hot Blooded, Hallelujah Chorus, Bohemian Rhapsody, Peter Gunn, Shipping Up to Boston, Flashdance, White Rabbit, Amazing Grace Bagpipes, Gimme Shelter.

Got in some different things into the conditioning mix with plate halos, SciFit, speed bag, medicine ball side throws, heavy bag with a little extra time on the bags to dissipate this weeks growing frustration over things I thought I had left behind when I retired from working for big organizations.

Got in some sword work last night. It was a fairly straightforward kata. The attacker draws their sword for an overhead and downward strike along the defender's centerline. The defender draws their sword in an upper block with the blade supported with the other hand near the tip and the flat of the blade displayed toward the attacker's sword. The defender always remembering to keep the sharp edge of their sword away from their own fingers. After the block, the defender steps forward and deflects the attacker's blade downward and across their body maintaining blade to blade contact to check a second attack. The defender then delivers a two handed thrust upward through the attacker's torso with a kiai, after which he steps back and pulls back their sword. The defender takes a second step back and, still using two hands to hold their sword with both hands and displays the sharp edge of the blade to the attacker. Then the defender steps back with their right foot to take the leg out of the way of the blade. After which the defender sweeps the blade quickly downward and outward toward their side to flick off any blood.

Some interesting insights into how and why so many Japanese martial arts perform an upper block with a right angled arm. It makes some sense with a sword in hand. Although a 45 degree angled block with an empty hand is stronger, as taught in Mushin Ryu. Likewise the deflection of the attacker's blade MUST maintain contact to check it from cutting or stabbing the defender. Even more essential when an edged weapon is involved in an attack.

80% of 1RM.

Squats: 240, 3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2.

Music: Also Sprach Zarathustra, Purple Haze, We Are the Champions, Taking a Ride, Danger Zone, Ritual Fire Dance, Back in Black, Volga Boatman, Devil Went Down to Georgia, Urgent, Gladiator Waltz.

I had a very pleasant paddle of nearly an hour on Cedar Lake this morning. Lots of picturesque bluffs and a few egrets on the shoreline. Some cormorant looking birds that I have yet to get a positive ID on. A great and relaxing time until the very end when disaster struck. The boat launch ramp had some mossy patches and I slipped on a big one getting out of the kayak. Between the slick moss and the grade, I managed to get neck deep before getting my footing again. Which did my phone no good at all. It's currently in a big package of dessicant to see if it revives. So I am off the comm grid for a while. If it doesn't resuscitate I was due for an upgrade anyway, so no great $ loss. I may have to rebuild some of the stuff on my apps, which I'm not looking forward to, but it could have been worse.

Some slightly more conventional and less hazardous conditioning today. Rounds of speed bag, kettlebell swings, rower, heavy bag, medicine ball tosses.

starting strength coach development program
    80% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 185, 3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2.

Push Press: 100, 3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2.

Hammer Row: 290, 3-3-3-3-3-3-2-2.

The weights felt light today, probably because of my grumpy mood that fired me up for a host of reasons. I hate lifting this late in the day and am using the power racks in the East Gymnasium by the indoor track because it's 5-10 degrees cooler in there than my usual haunts in the West Weight Room. Spending my teen and pre-teen years baling hay in the hot sun, along with two a day preseason football conditioning made me REALLY hate effort in the heat.

No phone to keep track of my sets, since mine got dunked. It was an exercise in keeping track the old school way. Counting and memorization. Also no music until I get my new one, tomorrow hopefully. At least Spotify tells me I won't have to rebuild my playlist.