Results 5,981 to 5,990 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Deload @ 70% of 1RM.

Squat: 170, 1-1-1-1-1.

High Pulls: 125, 1-1-1-1-1.

Working with the Special Olympics athletes in powerlifting again tonight. I had Kaydee start using the safety squat bar. She and Lena will be doing the bench press and deadlift during competition and the strength built from this squat bar will boost their leg strength in the deadlift. All of the lifters are ramping up the weight in their deadlifts, and doing those with confidence.

Good luck with this special job.

Thanks Jerry. It's challenging working with these folks and I get done feeling wrung out. But their enthusiasm and the effort they put into lifting makes it so rewarding.

Lena has shoulder problems which makes regular back squats very difficult for her. Kaydee has balance problems and I have to spot her very closely. Leaving her to squat in competition would be very dicey and I had to figger out a way to convey it to her in a way that didn't hurt her feelings. I gambled and just announced it last night at practice. It went down fine both her and Lena. Ducked that bullet.

The other lifters are Jereth and Jacob, both are natural multi-sport athletes. In fact Jacob played mainstream high school football. Those two lifting in all three events is a piece of cake for them.

Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed Work @ 70% of 1RM and 60% for the backoff set.

Bench Press: 155, 1-1-1-1-1. 135-5 for a backoff set.

Push Press: 85, 1-1-1-1-1. 70-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer High Row: 195, 1-1-1-1-1. 170-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Fanfare for the Common Man, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Running With the Devil, Kashmir, O Fortuna, Takin' a Ride, Bad to the Bone, Mission Impossible, British Grenadiers, Boy Named Sue.

Average HR of 124 bpm @ 83% of MHR for 39 minutes.

The start of 2022 is going to be busy for the first few months. I have a number of things coming up, some with firm dates and some still TBD at this point. The firm dates are February 5 and March 19 so far.

February 5 is a local powerlifting meet in Marion under the sanction of the Southern Powerlifting Federation. I grappled with the decision to compete in this for several reasons. First, the SPF had a bad reputation for judging in the powerlifting community. Some research indicated that the body that compiles and reports powerlifting meet results has lifted their suspension of the SPF and is reporting their results once again, so that issue got somewhat resolved for me. At this point, I won't know how "reformed" they are until I compete under their auspices. Then there's the issue of how they don't test their lifters for drugs. I decided to compete exclusively in the drug free division of the USPA when they formed the division on 2016. Drugs are the bane of fair competition, and I never used them and never will. Finally, there is how the SPF defines raw lifting. I don't use supportive equipment, I lift in a raw division of the USPA the same as I lift without drugs. You either lift the weight on your own or you quit competing and lift however and whatever you can to maintain your strength and health. But because I want to promote powerlifting in Special Olympics, particularly where I live in Southern Illinois, I will lift in this meet, albeit with some reservations.

On March 19 the Special Olympics qualifiers are being held in Bloomington-Normal. DB and I will be going there with a team of four lifters to determine if they will be lifting in the Special Olympics Illinois Summer Games. It will be the first time I've had a chance to coach them at an event on my own. There's a fair amount of nervousness and anticipation for them and what they can achieve at that.

One of the TBD's is getting some coaching of my own form. I will be going to Memphis for that. The nearest coaching staff whose expertise I trust is in Chicago and Memphis, and Memphis is closer. Plus I've never been to Tennessee and a friend of ours lives there now. It's Starting Strength based coaching and I know that without the model I learned over 10 years ago, I never would have started competing, let alone considered taking up coaching Special Olympics myself.

The last TBD is the prospect of delivering a self defense presentation to the local Girl Scouts. The Karate guy at the park district who has a lot of friends and contacts around town having lived here his entire life was approached by a troop leader. He in turn invited me and the Aikido people to participate. I'm looking forward to this as well.

Funny how in retirement I'm almost as busy as I was when working.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Funny how in retirement I'm almost as busy as I was when working.
    Ha! Isn't that the truth! Sometimes even more busy.

I'm looking forward to watching you meander your way through all of these things, Mark.

Hey thanks Bill. Getting old is not for sissies, as Curly said in City Slickers.

Conditioning today at the Den was three rounds of speed bag, box jumps, kettlebell swings, medicine ball slams, plate halos, and medicine ball tosses.

starting strength coach development program
    Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed Work @ 70% of 1RM and 60% for the backoff set.

Deadlift: 245, 1-1-1-1-1. 215-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Immigrant Song, Flight of the Bumblebee, Semper Fidelis, Bohemian Rhapsody, Gloria, Flashdance, Folsom Prison Blues, Tristan and Isolde.

Average HR of 127 bpm @ 85% of MHR for 35 minutes.