starting strength gym
Page 60 of 659 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160560 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good Work Mark--what do you use your foam roller for? Where did you learn to use it?

Thanks,Bill

Thank you Bill. I use the foam roller for my back, both upper and lower. I do a series of 10 rolls from my tail bone to mid back with the roller long ways at a 90 degree angle to my body. Then another 10 rolls from my mid back to the back of my neck with the roller oriented the same way. Then I lay on the roller lengthwise and roll left to right from my spine to past my right shoulder blade 10 times, and another 10 to the left. It gets the erectors, traps, and rhomboids pretty well, but the crackling and thumping over the tight muscles can get distracting. Get the hardest roller you can find. A soft one just compresses under you unless you are well under 200 lbs. and will do you no good at all.

Weight: 248.5

Jujitsu at the main dojo at last again, glory and hallelujah! We started with ground technique using a drill I saw being done with the rest of the adult class on Wednesday, but too advanced for the new folks. In this drill one person is lying on the mat and the other attempts a mount. The person lying down rolls slightly away from the attacker and draws up their upper leg so it is bent at the knee. The attacker can't settle properly and is unstable, ready to be rolled off. Add to that, the defender keeps rolling onto their stomach further destabilizing the attacker. If neither has caused them to roll off the defender, the defender then draws up both knees further raising the attacker's center of gravity. The defender then grabs an arm and rolls sideways driving with the other elbow into the attacker's chest for added force and then dropping that same hand into a hammer fist to the groin once the roll is done. We also worked on several attacker counters to this and defender counters to those.

We then did some standing technique, much of it involving an attacker doing a double lapel grab with them then pushing the defender back stiff armed or alternatively pulling the defender in to them. One of the stiff arm attacks is bypassed by pushing down and across at one elbow and up and across in the other direction with the other hand. It causes the hands and arms to cross over each other and tie the upper torso in a disabling tangle. Not a painful one, but your arms are rendered largely ineffective and one shoulder drops and the attacker's balance gets compromised. I managed to simply twist my partner right off his feet just through this tie-up, but there are a couple of foot hooks and hand/forearm pushes across the face that will take almost anyone to the ground in a heap. Altogether a great session, although a little tiring in the heat.

Weight: 246.5

5 minute warm up on the bike (Heavy Day)

Overhead Press: 180 5 x 3.

Sumo Deadlift: 345 x 3. Hoo-fucking-ray! I finally reclaimed this after having done it without terribly heroic effort a couple months back. It wasn't a walk in the park, but not a final rep fit to kill me either. I paid more attention to foot positioning, set up and form, especially keeping the bar in close to my body. To think I almost ditched these this morning because my back still feels a little out of it and my left achilles was tender. No doubt from the 17 year old blue belt I was working with and one of his inept foot sweeps. But, it didn't stop me because I wouldn't let it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Weight: 246.5

5 minute warm up on the bike (Heavy Day)

Overhead Press: 180 5 x 3.

Sumo Deadlift: 345 x 3. Hoo-fucking-ray! I finally reclaimed this after having done it without terribly heroic effort a couple months back. It wasn't a walk in the park, but not a final rep fit to kill me either. I paid more attention to foot positioning, set up and form, especially keeping the bar in close to my body. To think I almost ditched these this morning because my back still feels a little out of it and my left achilles was tender. No doubt from the 17 year old blue belt I was working with and one of his inept foot sweeps. But, it didn't stop me because I wouldn't let it.
    Nice work! Why the sumo? I'm sure you've said, but I must have missed it.

I just can't seem to get my lower back to set at an angle that feels good without a wide, low stance. At 5'11" and with a 34" inseam it may be my anthropometry or something else. But the sumo do pretty good for me. I've done 405 x 3 with a trap bar and the back angle there was the major factor so I tried this as an alternative to the standard DL's.

But, it didn't stop me because I wouldn't let it.
    GEE-ZER GEE-ZER GEE-ZER!

Younger folks should pay attention to this particular sentence if they want to make long term gains.

5 minute warmup on he bike. (Heavy Day)

Bench Press: 205 x 5 x 3. Not hard, but I am starting the feel the right delt again. Nothing much, just a reminder that I hurt it a little while ago. That's why I am cycling back up the poundage at lesser increments this time.

Hammer High Row: 335 x 5 x 3 PR!

Pinch Grip: 152 for 20 seconds.

Foam roller and stretching.

5 minute warmup on he bike. (Heavy Day)

Bench Press: 205 x 5 x 3. Not hard, but I am starting the feel the right delt again. Nothing much, just a reminder that I hurt it a little while ago. That's why I am cycling back up the poundage at lesser increments this time.

Hammer High Row: 335 x 5 x 3 PR! .
    Nice job on the PR, Dad.

Take care of that delt, though you obviously are. Have you considered a different grip to help with the bench pain?

Thanks, Oldster. I'm using the 16" narrow grip to avoid problems like I had years ago. You think maybe a slightly wider grip might be better for a while?

starting strength coach development program
    I really enjoy reading your Jujitsu workout descriptions. A couple of my karate instructors have shown me some self-defense techniques with a bit of Jujitsu in them, and its a fascinating new world to me.