starting strength gym
Page 604 of 659 FirstFirst ... 104504554594602603604605606614654 ... LastLast
Results 6,031 to 6,040 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Light day @ 70% of 1RM and 60% for the backoff set.

Seated Press: 125, 1-1-1-1-1. 105-5 for a backoff set.

Pin Press: 140, 1-1-1-1-1. 120-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer Low Row: 205, 1-1-1-1-1. 180-5 for a backoff set.

Music via Spotify: Also Sprach Zarathustra, Draggin the Line, Jungle Life, Enter the Sandman, Black Betty, Back in the USSR, Orpheus in the Underworld, Tuff Enuff, Bad Moon Rising, Respect.

Average HR of 124bpm @ 83% of MHR for 40 minutes.

Light day breaking back in @ 70% of 1RM and 60% for the backoff set.

Deadlift: 245, 1-1-1-1-1. 215-5 for a backoff set.

Hip Belt Squat: 245, 1-1-1-1-1. 215-5 for a backoff set.

Music via Spotify: Halls of Montezuma, Night Train, Rite of Spring, Old Time Rock and Roll, Draggin' the Line, I Got a Line on You, Thunderstruck, Dirty Laundry, Simply Irresistible, My Sharona, I Want to Be Sedated, Locomotive Breath.

Average HR of 131 bpm @ 87% of MHR for 66 minutes.

I need another adjustment. The first one helped but the ole sacrum got to feeling puny again.

I've got a line on you - Spirit Covered by every garage band in the 70's.
    Draggin' the Line - Tommy James a favoite that is not yet on any of my playlists... how does this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Draggin' the Line - Tommy James a favoite that is not yet on any of my playlists... how does this happen?
    Check out the score for Remember the Titans. That, and other classics for football are all over that list.

Back to full weights again @ 90% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 200, 1-1-1-1-1. 170-5 for a backoff set.

Push Press: 110, 1-1-1-1-1. 90-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer High Row: 250, 1-1-1-1-1. 210-5 for a backoff set.

Music vis Spotify: Die Walkure, When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Hot Blooded, Fire Down Below, Danger Zone, Shipping Up to Boston, Volga Boatmen, Bad to the Bone, Devil Went Down to Georgia.

Average HR of 104 bpm @ 69% of MHR for 59 minutes.

It's been a couple of tough weeks with my back problems. The pain was hard enough to slog through, but the pain disrupting the sleep has me dwelling in the twilight zone. I got what I hope is the last adjustment I'll need for a while.

Illness and injuries, the gifts that keep on giving. Covid, then my back, and now my wrist. So bad I can't grip with my fingers, I can't move the wrist at all at most angles to use it in even a stabilizing grip for squats. After getting my back squared away yesterday, I figgered I was good to go. Then last night I started getting awakened by my wrist. Not to mention DB starting to feel ill today. All this is really trying because we had to cancel training for the Special Olympians tonight. I gotta get past this fast because Saturday I'm headed to Memphis for some coaching on my form at the newly opened Starting Strength gym there.

I feel pretty lucky most of the time given that I'm 71. I've managed to ward off some of the effects of age working out like I do. Sometimes maybe I work too close to the edge of recovery. The last 3 weeks may be the payback for going deep into my reserves. But I won't stop, just improvise, adapt, overcome.

Hope things work out for you,and you can make the trip
    I guess it was when I hit the age of about 68 I finally understood what my uncles Sal meant when he would say to me "don't get old".

The newly opened Starting Strength gym in Memphis is the place to go! But the most important part are the people who make it work. I met Scott Acosta and John Haun this past Saturday and things began to click immediately. I suspected my form had begun to drift off the model I had learned in a Starting Strength seminar in Costa Mesa, CA, back in 2010. Unsurprisingly, that is exactly what had taken place.

These are just the highlights of what Scott accomplished in a mere two hours. He painstakingly coached me back into a better semblance of good order fixing my flaws one step at a time. But altogether, Scott did a great deal more in cleaning up how I was stumbling my way through the lifts.

Scott began from the platform up fixing my feet. Fixing full and neutral balance on the balls and heels of my feet in the squat was the first thing that needed to be squared away. It seems I’d developed a tendency to be too far forward on the balls of my feet over time. He saw that I was leading up with my chest instead of my hips from the bottom of the squat. Add to that a persistent tendency to be left of center on the bar while taking it off the rack. All remedied in short order.

I thought I had the bench press down reasonably well. Not so, Scott first having me get my feet repositioned so I could better lock in my hips and stabilize on the bench. The bench was an unpadded Starting Strength design and Scott and John offered me a pad if I thought I might need or prefer one. I gave the wood bench a shot to see how it felt, and nope, no pad needed. Scott got me reacquainted with how to set the scapulae properly and went on to get me using leg drive effectively.

The deadlift was what I thought I needed the most work with. Not only did Scott correct me from standing too close to the bar, but also correcting my hips being too high at the start of the pull. This was the first time I had used a Starting Strength bar and found the knurling a good fit between needle sharp and too smooth to hang on to. He caught me having my hand placement too close together with my knees interfering with my arms during the first stage of the pull. Then he taught me how to engage the lats in the pull, something that had become a mystery to me prior to this session.

Altogether a really great session with great coach who I am confident has set me back on the right road to getting a better total in competition. It was a 240-mile drive from home to get to Memphis and more than worth it.

Back to 90% of 1RM. Frankly, a little taxing given the last several weeks of travail.

Seated Press: 162, 1-1-1-1-1. 135-5 for a backoff set.

Dips: 65, 1-1-1-1-1. 50-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer Low Row: 262, 1-1-1-1-1. 215-5 for a backoff set.

Music via Spotify: My Sharona, Think, Halls of Montezuma, Roadhouse Blues, Thunderstruck, Living in America, My Granddaddy Was a Horse Marine, Hot Rod Lincoln, Here I Go Again, Maniac, Black Dog, Round and Round, Black Betty, Pinball Wizard, Runaway.

Average HR of 127bpm @ 85% of MHR for 60 minutes.

starting strength coach development program
    90% 1RM for singles and 75% for backoff set.

Squat: 220 1-1-1-1-1. 180-5 for a backoff set.

High Pulls: 165 1-1-1-1-1, 135-5.

Music via Spotify: 1812 Overture, Run Through the Jungle, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Smuggler's Blues, I'm So Excited, Tusk, Ramblin' Gamblin' Man, Ghost Riders in the Sky, Shaft, Relax, Lunatic Fringe, Under Pressure.

Average HR of 127bpm @ 85% of MHR for 52 minutes.

That coaching session really helped. I hit depth all the time and my back feels rock solid. I've been coming out of squats feeling sore and wobbly later. Not so far, and it seems unlikely it'll show up tonight or tomorrow.