Page 606 of 659 FirstFirst ... 106506556596604605606607608616656 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,060 of 6586

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I sang the Mozart Requiem a few years ago...what a kick ass Dies Irae

90% of 1RM and 7% for the backoff set.

Deadlift: 315, 1-1-1-1-1. 265-5 for a backoff set.

Music via Spotify: Fire Down Below, Stars and Stripes Forever, We Will Rock You, Patton, Ritual Fire Dance, All Along the Watchtower, Smoke on the Water, My Generation, Bad Moon Rising, Miami Vice, Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher.

Average HR of 136 bpm @ 91% of MHR for 55 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    I sang the Mozart Requiem a few years ago...what a kick ass Dies Irae
    Classical music is highly underrated for workout inspiration.

90% of 1RM and 75% for the backoff set.

Seated Press: 160, 1-1-1-1-1. 135-5 for a backoff set.

Tricep Pressdowns: 70-8, 70-8, 80-8.

Hammer Low Row: 260, 1-1-1-1-1. 215-5 for a backoff set.

Music via Spotify: 1812 Overture, Locomotive Breath, Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Night Train, Another One Bites the Dust.

Average HR of 120 bpm @ 80% of MHR for 48 minutes.

It was an exhausting weekend. DB and I spent Saturday morning supporting the local Special Olympics Polar Plunge where Special Olympics began, Touch of Nature at Little Grassy Lake. After that we had a 3 1/2 hour drive to Bloomington for the Special Olympics powerlifting qualifier. Team Ohana has 5 lifters we've been working with for the last several months.

Sunday was the meet. All 5 of the lifters qualified for the Summer Games and exceeded their best poundage in one or more of the three lifts. Ohana's lifters span a complete range of classes from small to large. The meet had 37 some lifters, so not too large, but shuttling between two platforms kept me busy and more than a little stressed. I had planned out all three attempts for the lifters and helped set up those who wanted it on the platform. Then there were the post-attempt discussions with the lifter for the poundage for the upcoming lift. So much of a lifter's capability or potential in a meet involves their confidence. So I consulted them to see if they wanted to stick with my original plan or try for a heavier weight. Most wanted to go heavier and most of them were successful in their 3rd attempts.

My own meets stress me quite a bit. Being responsible for the safety and success of others took me orders of magnitude beyond that. My sleep has been all over the map for days.

It was all a lot of fun, if very tiring, what with another 3 1/2 drive home yesterday. This was not easy for a guy who has gotten used to afternoon naps, which were obviously not in the picture this weekend.

My legs and back were wasted from the meet and all the driving so instead of leading off the week with squats, I went with bench press, etc.

90% of 1RM.

Bench Press: 200, 1-1-1-1-1. 170-5 for a backoff set.

Push Press: 110, 1-1-1-1-1. 90-5 for a backoff set.

Hammer High Row: 250, 1-1-1-1-1. 210-5 for a backoff set.

Music vis Spotify: Scotland the Brave, Flight of the Bumblebee, Semper Fidelis, Bohemian Rhapsody, Shaft, Lunatic Fringe, Batman, Pinball Wizard, Runaway, Devil in a Blue Dress, Who Let the Dogs Out, Hit Me With Your Best Shot.

Average HR of 114 bpm @ 77% of MHR for 58 minutes.

Broke out the fractional plates for 2 lb. increases each week.

Squat: 223 1-1-1-1-1. 184-5 for a backoff set.

High Pulls: 168 1-1-1-1-1, 140-5.

Music via Spotify: Run Like Hell, Star Wars, Kashmir, Urgent, Ghost Riders, Tainted Love, A-Team, Holding Out for a Hero, Neutron Dance.

Average HR of 121 bpm @ 81% of MHR for 64 minutes.

What with injury, illness, and a number of other superseding events, I haven't gotten conditioning sessions in much lately.

Today was rounds of speed bag, SciFit, cable rotations, box jumps, heavy bag, elliptical, and medicine ball tosses.

Average HR of 136 bpm @ 91% of MHR for 30 minutes.

Ball Cap.jpg

Jujitsu has been on the back burner lately too. Tonight was discussion and demonstration of the 30 principles that underlie Mushin Ryu and how and why what is taught works. It's more than just knuckles, know-how, and speed.

Ken was asking about teaching the lifts to disabled youngsters. There's a local foundation called NubAbility Athletics for those kids who have missing limbs. It sounded interesting and may be something I could get involved with.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 03-23-2022 at 06:17 PM.

90% of 1RM and 75% for the backoff set.

Seated Press: 162, 1-1-1-1-1. 137-5 for a backoff set.

Tricep Pressdowns: 80-8, 90-8, 100-8.

Hammer Low Row: 262, 1-1-1-1-1. 217-5 for a backoff set.

Music via Spotify: When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Shipping Up to Boston, Bolero, British Grenadiers, A Boy Named Sue, Life in the Fast Lane, Angel of Verdun, Dragging the Line, I Want to Be Sedated, Break On Through to the Other Side.

Average HR of 121 bpm @ 81% of MHR for 49 minutes.

starting strength coach development program
    I decided to change my original plan for competing in Murfreesboro, TN May 5, to a much closer meet in St. Louis on May 22. It'll give me a little more time to ramp up for a better total and to lose some pesky pounds over 242 that seem to have snuck up on me since November.

No change for competing in the IPL North American Championship in St. Louis in November though. The IPL Worlds is in Brisbane, Australia. Too far, too expensive to contemplate, and Australia is not an athlete friendly place these days given the plight of tennis lately. Anyway, I can set world records at the North American Championships.

I'll only need make a Class 2 total at the May meet to qualify for the North American Championship. The total my 90% of 1RM's in the gym exceeds the Class 2 total by 50 pounds.

The coaching I got is already helping my squat, but setting a record in that lift is not in the cards for me. I can live with that. My focus is chasing that world record in the bench press that eluded me at the Worlds last year because of my shoulder going lame on me. I also think I can improve on my world record deadlift last year too.

My (kilogram to pound conversion) attempt plans are:

Squat:
    259 (maybe more)

Bench Press:

Deadlift:
    363 (maybe more)