starting strength gym
Page 609 of 659 FirstFirst ... 109509559599607608609610611619 ... LastLast
Results 6,081 to 6,090 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    90% of 1RM and 75% for the backoff set.

Squat: 224 1-1-1-1-1. 184-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Run Through the Jungle, Anvil Choru, Shipping Up to Boston, I'm So Excited, Born to Be Wild, Shaft*, Hawaii 5-0, Tarzan, Rescue Me.

Average HR of 125 bpm @ 83% of MHR for 53 minutes.

*It's a great bit of music, but the REAL reason I like it is because of that dialog in the middle of the piece where the guy is talking about that cat Shaft and then says "I'm only talkin' 'bout Shaft!" after being taken to task by his Significant Other (female). It is in the EXACT same tone of voice The Old Man would use when he was taken to task by my Mother for having transgressed on her sense of propriety. At least in front of us kids. I always chuckle and think of my Dad. Even in the hard part of a rep.

Immensely sore from the waist down after squats yesterday. The weather has my knees howling like Malamutes at a full moon. Wearing my Livesore ball cap to commemorate the unpleasantries.

Even so, it was rounds of SciFit, speedbag, plate halos, medicine ball toss, rower, and heavy bag. Box jumps didn't seem in the cards this morning.

32 minutes @ 138 bpm, 92% of MHR.

Bench Press: 204 1-1-1-1-1. 170-5 for a backoff set.

Push Press: 120 1-1-1-1-1. 100-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Last of the Mohicans, Eye of the Tiger, Dream On, Tainted Love, Rite of Spring, Simply Irresistible, I'm Alright, My Granddaddy Was a Horse Marine, Hot Rod Lincoln, Hot Legs, Shotgun, Riding the Storm Out, Cantina Scene, Locomotive Breath, Don't Stop Believing.

Average HR of 125 bpm @ 83% of MHR for 53 minutes.

Mixing things up in conditioning this morning with air assault bike, speed bag, handball, heavy bag, medicine ball slams, and box jumps.

Average HR of 156 bpm @ 104% of MHR for 32 minutes.

Deadlift: 319 1-1-1-1-1. 265-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Scotland the Brave, Gloria, Life in the Fast Lane, Stroke, Urgent, Great Gates of Kiev, Discombobulate, Ghost Riders in the Sky, Working in a Coal Mine, Lunatic Fringe.

Average HR of 130 bpm @ 87% of MHR for 60 minutes.

Working with Team Ohana Special Olympians last night on powerlifting. The plan this week was for sets of 3, which was a huge relief for the lifters since they really didn't like sets of 5 at all. Some of them needed a reinforcement of set up and low bar placement for the squat, and keeping the knees from caving inward in the deadlift. Everyone made their third set numbers of at least 3 reps (a hybrid form of Wendler's 5-3-1) which pleased them and me as well.

Having learned my lesson about delaying too long before signing up for a meet a few weeks ago, I seized the initiative. The International Powerlifting League's North American Championships opened up for registration yesterday and I entered today. Since it's in St. Louis, it's a 90 minute drive from Casa de Hurling por el Lago. Much easier than flying to Australia for the Worlds, and since it's the IPL, I can set world records. Win-win.

Seated Press: 162 1-1-1-1-1. 135-5 for a backoff set.

Music: Hawaii 5-0, Weird Science, Gimme That Old Marine Corps Spirit Jody call, Maori Haka, When the Levee Breaks, Rock Steady, Washington Post March, Runaway, Any Way You Want It, Pomp and Circumstance.

Average HR of 119 bpm @ 80% of MHR for 47 minutes.

Changing up my lifting from 4 days a week to 3 seems to be working better on my recovery sooner than I expected. The soreness is pretty much gone, I am not so tired all the time, and my average heart rate is coming down.

Some conditioning today with a little more stuff into the mix. Rounds of speed bag, cable rotations, SciFit, rower, medicine ball toss, heavy bag.

Average HR of 138 bpm @ 92% of MHR for 33 minutes.

My knees continue to emit low growls whenever I step up on something. I am beginning to think about getting some knee sleeves if it persists. Squats tomorrow will provide some more data on the possibility.

starting strength coach development program
    Working with the Team Ohana lifters tonight on the 5-3-1 week. I wore the blue Smurf shirt Jereth to give him something to laugh about. Everyone far exceeded my expectations on how many reps they could do because they were dealing with heavier weights for more reps than they have been used to. Especially on the last set of 1 where they really dug deep and shined brightly. I squeezed a little to hard on the liquid chalk container and ended up having to clean up some excess on the bar and on the floor afterwards. Lesson learned, less is more.