starting strength gym
Page 64 of 659 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164564 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight: 247.5

5 minute warm up on the bike (Heavy Day)

Bench Press: 210 x 5 x 3. The shoulder felt great, like months back before my problems started. I did extra reps of 10-15 on my warm up sets with a slightly wider grip.

Hammer Row: 340 x 5 x 3. PR!

Pinch Grip: 152 held for 33 seconds. PR!

Foam roller and stretching. What a great morning! I had to get down to Seal Beach again to teach another physical security class early today so I was pressed for time again. I ended up doing the Benches and Rows back to back at 3 minute rest intervals between super sets to get done in time and I still did that well. Amazing. Not that I didn't take the advice all of you gave me seriously, but I had to hurry because of work.

Congrats on the PRs, Mr. Hurling. You're having a great day!

Glad to hear your shoulder is finally firming up. Amazing what a decrease in cortisol can do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Weight: 247.5

5 minute warm up on the bike (Heavy Day)

Bench Press: 210 x 5 x 3. The shoulder felt great, like months back before my problems started. I did extra reps of 10-15 on my warm up sets with a slightly wider grip.

Foam roller and stretching. What a great morning! I had to get down to Seal Beach again to teach another physical security class early today so I was pressed for time again. I ended up doing the Benches and Rows back to back at 3 minute rest intervals between super sets to get done in time and I still did that well. Amazing. Not that I didn't take the advice all of you gave me seriously, but I had to hurry because of work.
    I like it! I like ALL of it! No pain, PR's running wild and you even hustled through it.

You da MAN!

Weight: 247. About fucking time.

I did a GXP with lots O' foam rolling and stretching and feel no pain or discomfort anywhere for the first time in a month.

Thanks to all of you once again, and yes tertius, it is amazing what a decrease in coritsol can do for you, once you get that particular albatross off your neck. No matter what it's source.

Nice.

Weight: 246

Thanks again Sully.

Jujitsu last night after missing Wednesday sessions for a few weeks was good to be back there again. It's clear that the kids see school on the horizon because they were mostly goosey as could be with a few of the older girls being paragons of concentration and performance. The boys were uniformly ADD. It took a fair amount of fingertip drops on the tops of several heads to get them to even pay attention during the demonstrations of technique.

The adult class had us covering some very subtle and interesting techniques that I had never seen Master Bellman do before. One was a takedown from lying flat on the back when the attacker is moving in over the feet for a mount. The defender puts up their feet into the crease where the legs attach to the body stopping the attacker from moving further forward the typical response to this is for the attacker to bend at the waist and reach down to grab the defender and shuffle the feet further forward. The defender plays into this and pulls them a little closer and then drops their hands to grasp the feet right where the achilles inserts at the heel. The defender then drops their feet so that their hamstrings are in contact with the attacker's quads just above the knee. The defender pulls inward on the heels and pushes down and back with the hamstrings, and the attacker falls backward flat on their back or ass. If the defender shifts forward forcefully as the attacker falls, they get pulled up and on top of them into the mount, or at least in a seated position with the hands ideally placed to do a choke or an arm bar. Very slick and impossible to counter. He showed this in the kid's class too, and one of the older girls, a tall Asian girl who comes across as athletic and nerdy at the same time expressed some doubts about her ability to make it work. So I had her do it to me and once I coached her through the right movements, she flattened me much to her astonishment. I couldn't have stopped her either and told her so. I drove this point home by telling her she could tell her friends and parents that she knocked over someone who outweighed her by 140 lbs. and was old enough to be her grandfather. She got a big kick out of that.

We did a bunch of other stuff, but the one that really stood out was a takedown from a cross-wrist grab by the attacker. They grab you right hand with their right hand and you move your hand to your right and up across their center line and over their shoulder and backward in a flat ellipse. Your left hand then drives in either a palm heel strike or fist to their right lower back just above the pelvis. The twisting induced by them hanging on your wrist gets them well and thoroughly off balance as they start moving backward and to their own left. The strike to the lower back is like knocking out a block from an already wobbly stack of them and they collapse.

A very small adult class tonight. Of course we figure Ali won't be back for several weeks with Ramadan having begun.

Serious question here, Mr Hong Kong.

With all your martial arts training, how would you do if you were attacked by a mob such as what happened at the Wisconsin State Fair? Multiple attackers acting as a swarm? Is there anything you can do or are you just overwhelmed in an instance like that and can't do much at all? And do you carry any edged weapons that you have been taught to use that could be pressed into service?

Truthfully I just ordered an XDm in ....gasp...choke.....9mm for the 19+1 aspect plus the wife just doesn't care for a .45 and she'll be carrying it too. A couple extra mags and a feller is pretty well covered. And I got it simply because these 'flash mobs' seem to be popping up world and country wide.

If alone, I would run. If accompanied, I would send the women and children off at speed and retreat after them delaying pursuit by trips, sweeps, and throws to cause a bowling pin effect of one falling to block and knock over others in proximity and pursuit. With multiple attackers the key is to keep moving and jink laterally or better yet at 45 degree angles at every opportunity. Standing like John L. Sullivan with your dukes raised makes it too easy. Constant movement forces them to adjust to you and you can better take on onsies and twosies with quick strikes and kicks. This is no time for arm bars, chokes or the like because it roots to one place and the others swarm you then. Unless you can do a quick two hand neck snap and then boogie.

I've carried a knife since high school, something I picked up from The Old Man who learned how to do some simple but nasty shit with a Sykes-Fairbairn as Marine Raider in the Pacific. When pocket clip EZ-open knives became ubiquitous I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. I quit carrying a fairly cheap Valor stilletto and now have a S&W EZ-open with a tanto style blade and serrated lower edge. The serrated part is part of my justification should I be questioned by the cops since it cuts seat belts so well in case mine jams in an accident. All that said, I'd have to be cornered to use it in a group attack to make them sell my potential ass kicking as dearly as possible before I go under.

But still, run if you can. Before that though keep your head on a swivel, notice everything going on around you, and stay alert so you can be somewhere else when the shit starts. Dearly Beloved and our daughter have just gotten used to me in reconaissance mode. I know that it unnerves others when they notice me doing it, though.

starting strength coach development program
    All that said, I'd have to be cornered to use it in a group attack to make them sell my potential ass kicking as dearly as possible before I go under.
    Interesting. But surely someone trained like you would do much better than someone like me who's exposure to the martial arts is popcorn and Bruce Lee, correct? I am talking unarmed, or at most armed with a knife. I occasionally carry a San Mai Master Tanto.

But still, run if you can.
    Always. ALWAYS.

Before that though keep your head on a swivel, notice everything going on around you, and stay alert so you can be somewhere else when the shit starts...... I know that it unnerves others when they notice me doing it, though.
    One of my buddies had a hard time getting used to me doing this when we first met and started hanging out. My Dad passed this habit on to me when I was just a youngster. To date it has kept me away from trouble. Mostly.....