starting strength gym
Page 655 of 659 FirstFirst ... 155555605645653654655656657 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,550 of 6583

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sets of 5-5-5. Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed Work

Deadlifts: 145@40%-5, 180@50%-5, 215@60%-5.

Hip Belt Squats: 33-66-99 for sets of 5. Metric plates again. *See below,

Calf Press: 200 for 3 sets of 5.

Music: Also Sprach Zarathustra, Locomotive Breath, Steel Claw, When the Bullet Hits the Bone, Mission Impossible, Prussia's Glory, Rescue Me, Ruaumoko Haka, Conga, Let It Ride, Crazy Train.

48 minutes average HR 128 BPM @ 87% of MHR. Average resting HR of 61 BPM and with a VO2 Max Very Good to Excellent @ range of 37-41.

* This is the rig up I used for hip belt squats. Works better than anything I've tried so far.

Nice work Mark. I have a similar belt sqt setup on my rack. I've been doing super slow for awhile but am going to go back to normal speed. I may use the belt sqts as a finished on the days I DL.

I tried super slow for a few months back in the 90's. I didn't have the patience for it.

Is this cool or what? A powerlifter no less.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/oth...ty/ar-AA1kK0Lc

Sets of 5-5-5. Deload/Dynamic Effort/Speed Work

Seated Press: 70@40%-5, 85@50%-5, 100@60%-5.

Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 40 for sets of 12.

Hammer Row: 140@40%-5, 175@50%-5, 205@60%-5.

Dips: 3 sets of 5 with bodyweight.

Music: Run Through the Jungle, Highway to Hell, We Will Rock You, In the Hall of the Mountain King, Tush, Weird Science, My Sharona, Break on Through to the Other Side, Hard Work.

39 minutes average HR 124 BPM @ 84% of MHR. Average resting HR of 61 BPM and with a VO2 Max Very Good to Excellent @ range of 37-41.

Special Olympians Jacob, Kaydee, and Lena were lifting tonight at Legacy. Jacob's leg and back were feeling touchy he told me, so I went easy on him. Lena was working hard but was a little tired from some pre-Christmas running around I learned. Her wrist and leg started to catch up with her during deadlifts, making the second set tough on her. Kaydee was doing well on bench presses with an extra rep on the last set. During deadlifts I had her adjust her finishing form a little by asking her not to look up at the ceiling. Pitching the head back can affect balance and actually take away a little strength from misalignment of the spine.

Everyone put in the best efforts they could manage tonight.

Ball Cap.jpg

Last week was an unsettling toss-up. New carpeting got installed and most of the contents of the house had to be moved out of the way and then back again. So everything else got put aside. But now things are semi back to normal.

I was working with Ken this afternoon on Jujitsu techniques with chokes and strangles, along with some other stuff. He's finally started getting the basics down on the chokes and strangles. There's a lot of them to remember, and they are completely different from other martial arts things he's done up to now. I made sure he knew about his improvement to keep him motivated. The other stuff included a Kenpo technique called Twirling Wings, something I picked up from Sensei Kongaika, a high level black belt in that art. Since Mushin Ryu Jujitsu incorporated Kenpo into the art by my own teacher Professor Bellman. Then there was a counter resulting in a takedown from a cross wrist grab. Ken mastered it quickly and the takedown he executed slammed me hard into the mat. I still feel a little dizzy from it, along with the oxygen and blood flow deprivation from the chokes and strangles.

Sets of 5-5-5.

Bench Press: 140@65%-5, 160@75%-5, 185@85%-4.

High Cable Pulldown: 80 for 3 sets of 5.

Push Press: 80@65%-5, 100@75%-5, 110@85%-5.

Cable Curl: 135=140-145 for 3 sets of 12.

Music: Kashmir, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, Her Strut, Your Love Keeps Lifting Me Higher, Washington Post March, King of Pain, Even It Up, Day-O.

46 minutes average HR 126 BPM @ 85% of MHR. Average resting HR of 61 BPM and with a VO2 Max Very Good to Excellent @ range of 37-41.

A bad night's sleep had me dragging in the gym this morning. Also the aftereffects of the Jujitsu session with Ken yesterday. That hard fall had my back grumbling, plus one of the strangles made one the vertebra in my neck pop a little. Although it didn't have any effect on my sleep, it did add to my creakiness. No doubt waking up to 26F didn't help either. Getting old is not for sissies.

It was a full house of Special Olympians tonight, 3 queens and a jack, or Jacob in this case. Legacy Gym was buzzing with people but we were fortunate enough to not have to wait for any equipment.

The lifters were motivated and on fire tonight. Everyone was handling heavier weights and extra reps than they had managed since Summer Games. The deadlifts were so heavy I'm surprised there weren't reports of the New Madrid Fault having slipped.

Sheridan's response time to lifting commands has improved so much since she started lifting. It's nearly instantaneous now. She had some long braids that I cleared for her so they wouldn't get caught under the bar during squats. Kaydee crushed extra reps in the bench press and deadlifts once again. Lena did likewise with a weight in the bench press at her last set that she hadn't handled in months. Her assistance in loading and unloading the bar along with using the hand signal commands for the bench press. Jacob hauled away in squats and deadlifts with his usual excellent form.

A really great night.

starting strength coach development program
    I woke up late this morning, still trying to get caught up on sleep so it was a slightly short conditioning session. Rounds of speed bag, medicine ball slam, prowler push, plate haloes, elliptical, heavy bag, and rower with hip and knee flexor stretches.

25 minutes average HR 136 BPM @ 92% of MHR. Average resting HR of 59 BPM and with a VO2 Max Very Good to Excellent @ range of 37-41.