starting strength gym
Page 83 of 659 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183583 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight: 245.5

5 minute warmup on the bike (Light/Speed Day)

Bench Press: 140 x 8 x 3 + 12. Rapped these sets of 3 fast and felt the shoulder a little. It leads me to wonder if too much enthusiasm for the speed reps in the past may have caused my problems. This was nothing significant, but just kind a gnat buzzing around the ears, right shoulder, and consciousness.

One Arm Dumbbell Row: 75 x 8 x 3 + 12.

Power Clean: 155 x 3 x 3.

Then I did a GXP followed by foam roller and stretching. I spent most of Tuesday showing some new people visiting around our site at work and ended up doing a lot of standing while doing so. It tightened my hamstrings and took out my lower back for jujitsu Wednesday. Half the time I get over this with a good night's sleep but it was not to be on this occasion. The chiro mostly fixed things for me yesterday afternoon so I figured some power cleans with moderate weight would not be too taxing of the healing back. Sort of, but I would have been better off not trying to feed that particular rat this morning.

Weight: 247.5

Getting old is not for sissies. I've had one ailment after another in the last two weeks or so, what with a recurring foot and ankle problem from old breaks in my teens and early 20's, my lower back, and mysterious pains in my left wrist that denied me some sleep earlier this week. Together they combined to make it infeasible to lift or do jujitsu lately. That and some off site physical security training I was press-ganged into conducting this week. But I'm mostly OK now.

Jujitsu with the kids class last night was another success for all concerned. They listened up and were remarkably receptive to some coaching of their two hand deflections to a back leg sweep takedown. This was a pretty advanced technique for all of them and they didn't get it the first few tries but eventually pulled it off in most cases.

The adult class had us working on similar techniques as well. A two hand deflection of a straight punch with a 45 degree side step transitioning into a classic sleeve and lapel grip heel to heel trip otherwise known as osoto gari. We worked on a variant of this entry and transition to a cross leg rear takedown using our left leg and foot to the knee and calf of the attacker with a pull down and backward with the left hand along with some help hooking around the neck with the right arm. We then worked on a two hand outward block of a roundhouse punch. The right hand breaks contact with the arm and fires across to the right side of the attacker's neck and just under the jaw in an upward curving knife hand (shuto) that really rattles the molars and can induce a lightning flash in one or both eyes even done at 30% power. The follow up is that same hand then grips the attacker's collar or shoulder on the right side and the elbow pivots upward under the chin moving the head backward and setting the balance there also. As the head goes, the body follows. The defender then transitions into osota gari and the fall is a very hard one with the back of the head leading the way to the ground. A real skull cracker if you don't know how to fall by rounding your back and tucking your chin to your chest. We promoted two blue belts one stripe at the end of class.

I did a GXP this morning just to reinforce getting back in the trenches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Getting old is not for sissies. I've had one ailment after another in the last two weeks or so, what with a recurring foot and ankle problem from old breaks in my teens and early 20's, my lower back, and mysterious pains in my left wrist that denied me some sleep earlier this week.
    This scares me because it describes what I have right now (meaning at my current age, not just today but in general). The only injuries that I've accumulated come back at random times. I can only hope that strength training will help me to not deteriorate further.

It leads me to wonder if too much enthusiasm for the speed reps in the past may have caused my problems. This was nothing significant, but just kind a gnat buzzing around the ears, right shoulder, and consciousness.
    YES! YES YES YES.

I tried to caution you. Speed is good. But ONLY speed under control. Speed is where we learn to PULL the bar down, never letting it lower on its own using gravity. Control is where we pull the bar downward with the same power that we push it upward. No bounce, just pure manhandled control. For instance, I can handle 3 reps at 225lbs in about 1.9 seconds. But I can also handle 315 for about 3.5 seconds for better control. If I take that same 225 and use the same control as the 315, I manhandle the weight as if it were nothing. Does that make sense? We aren't looking for overall speed we are looking instead for controlled speed. Quick speed to be sure, but under complete control.

You ain't a kiddin' about getting old isn't for the faint of heart. It is tough. The Perfessor was just talking last night about how youth is wasted on the young.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    The only injuries that I've accumulated come back at random times. I can only hope that strength training will help me to not deteriorate further.
    *I* don't believe so. If I did, weight training would not be a part of my life. Instead I look at weight training as truly the fountain of youth. I think you can set your mind at ease.
    Last edited by Oldster; 10-27-2011 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    This scares me because it describes what I have right now (meaning at my current age, not just today but in general). The only injuries that I've accumulated come back at random times. I can only hope that strength training will help me to not deteriorate further.
    I have no doubt if wan't lifting I'd be in way worse shape in terms of hurting from one thing or another. You can't quit trying to kick the Reaper's ass for as long as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    YES! YES YES YES.

I tried to caution you. Speed is good. But ONLY speed under control. Speed is where we learn to PULL the bar down, never letting it lower on its own using gravity. Control is where we pull the bar downward with the same power that we push it upward. No bounce, just pure manhandled control. For instance, I can handle 3 reps at 225lbs in about 1.9 seconds. But I can also handle 315 for about 3.5 seconds for better control. If I take that same 225 and use the same control as the 315, I manhandle the weight as if it were nothing. Does that make sense? We aren't looking for overall speed we are looking instead for controlled speed. Quick speed to be sure, but under complete control.

You ain't a kiddin' about getting old isn't for the faint of heart. It is tough. The Perfessor was just talking last night about how youth is wasted on the young.....
    Yeah, I think I kind of lost lock on that trying something new. Just a little more care in the future will be the order of the day.

Weight: 247.5

5 minute warmup on the bike (Medium Day)

Overhead Press: 155 x 5 x 5

One Arm Dumbbell Row: 95 x 5 x 5

Front Squat: 135 x 3 x 6

Foam roller and stretching. Good to get back in the groove.

Good to get back in the groove.
    Yes. Even though I have been very sore this whole week, I have generally felt better, slept better, and so on.

Inactive humans become unhappy sort of quickly, it seems.

I was thinking about that very thing from following your own log. Sore just now? Oh Hells yes. My quads and glutes are not at all happy from the front squats this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Inactive humans become unhappy sort of quickly, it seems.
    Funny how that works.

starting strength coach development program
    Weight: 247

Jujitsu today had us start with a series of drills that were done slowly without a lot of torque exerted on uke to make him tap. It was about teaching smooth movement and transitions with good hand and especially footwork. The attacker grabs or pushes at the defender and his fingers are captured and barred backward and downward. We alternated hands both in defending and pushing. The variants we did included bringing the attacker's hand down to knee level, then rotating it palm upward and into a reverse gooseneck. The most difficult one for the OCD green belt (lucky me) and the blue belt I was working with was the variant where we transitioned to rotating the attacker's palm counter clockwise with the elbow at a right angle. Very painful from the shoulder to the wrist when cranked even a little bit. But since this was discouraged no one had to tap.

Then we worked on moving each other backward from a face to face stance. Pushing was ineffective with a solid stance until the hands were angled to push up and backward over the shoulders. There's an excellent illustration of this in Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere rendering the other person buoyant and to the rear. We finished with a new technique (to me) of using the thumb to dig between the ribs as a means of distracting a ground attack.