starting strength gym
Page 94 of 659 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194594 ... LastLast

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jon cowie View Post
    Cut to the chase - how old is right for letting children exercise?
    Jeez jon, it sounds like you're doing all the right stuff now. As far as strength training? I'd say around 10-12 for the real grinders like "heavy" squats and deadlifts. The other things like she is doing with the EZ curl bar are fine. It's a good way to acclimate her to feeling comfortable around the iron. As far as other kinds of exercise like sports? Age 6-7 is common here in things like soccer and other US sports like softball or basketball. Master Bellman teaches a jujitsu class for 7-13 year olds. That's the one I help teach before the adult class on Wednesdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I think I can answer this in part jon, but I'll just say up front that some of my comments and advice are heavily freighted with some deeply abiding personal matters that color what I have to say. I highly encourage Gwynn and spar to chime in on this if they would. One because of Gwynn's own experience in being tall and spar's better grasp of the less conservative currents than I have. I happen to think I'm tuned in to this pretty well, but I'm also smart enough to know that I'm not always right.

OK then, part one - tall girls. We knew our daughter was going to be tall early on. She was in the 95th percentile of growth from the beginning and was 3 feet tall before age 2. The rule of thumb among pediatricians is that you reach about half your adult height by that age. So since I'm 5'11" and she got the Hurling DNA big time we figured anywhere from 5'10" to 6'. She looked exactly like my middle sister who also got the Hurling DNA overwhelmingly as well. In fact she looked more like my sister's daughter than Dearly Beloved's daughter.

So we prepared her early for the probability that she would tower over the others in her classes. Which she did. She never came home upset from teasing over it though, and I don't know if that meant it didn't happen or that she didn't care about it. We worked on self esteem thinking and body image so that she would feel comfortable being who she was and how she was. I know this may sound utterly unlike me and most of the things I say and do here, but some aspects of the liberal ideas of self esteem have some merit. I know I grew up hating myself for being a fat kid and I was teased about it mercilessly. Dearly Beloved, being half Polish and half Swedish is pretty dark skinned. She got it bad as a kid too being called the N word during the summers when she'd get really dark. Given our own experiences we wanted to armor her up in case she got some of the same treatment. It seemed to work.

Now for the part where I go to the dark side. In conjunction with this, Dearly Beloved and I got into some bad habits in child rearing. We both had full time jobs until our daughter was in high school. So the golden arches for a quick drive through became convenient when taking her to day care and later kindergarten. Then in grades 1-5 we discovered that the kids had very little time for lunch and so would stuff their food down fast. More bad eating habits. About age 8 or so, we were appalled when she face planted herself at an Italian restaurant into the tomato salad and gobbled it. Nothing we did could get her eating back on track and we were stuck with a dilemma between trying shame to get her to eat more rationally or starving her. So I resorted to near dragging her to the gym to get her to exercise. Yeah, that went well. I should have remembered my own experience with The Old Man when he expressed less than favorable opinions over my own physical prowess. But then I wasn't prepared to put her through boot camp like I got from him.

The down side of the self esteem movement has morphed in the US and from what our daughter tells us in the UK as well to fat acceptance. She was even a spokesperson and activist for it in college. They have all manner of studies and rationalizations for their fatness and too bad if you try talking them out of it. Ain't gonna happen. So we gave up about her senior year in high school. She has to find the will and desire to this for herself and that's that.

So I can only say in conclusion that you have to be alert to what you are doing and what they are doing and try to head off any bad direction earlier rather than later.
    Honestly, it sounds like your daughter is doing just fine and I think you'd be justified in being proud of her. As far as fat-acceptance goes, I really don't see the down side there. But I'd have to let Spar head that debate, as she is far more capable of it than I am. Sounds like you did a good job as parents, too. Every parent has his/her own issues and tries to make their children do stuff they don't want to. I think the main thing that's important is for the child to know she is loved even if you don't agree with or understand her choices.

Dearly Beloved and I are very proud of her for her academic achievements. She graduated magna cum laude from a PAC 12 school (OSU) in sociology. She's a great, kind, and caring young woman and will I have every confidence do well for herself as she progresses through life. We love her a great deal, except when she and Dearly Beloved are working out their mother/daughter conflicts. Then I have a few choices, don my striped shirt and grab my whistle, head for the bunker and ride out the artillery barrage, or go for a drive. We lucked out, because I know all too well that you can do everything you think right and end up with a reprobate. I have some cousins who are sterling examples of just that.

You did luck out; of course some awesome parenting probably had something to do with it, too.

"It's a crap shoot. You have dreams about your kids. In one dream, he's going: 'I'd like to thank the Nobel Academy.' And in the other dream he says: 'You want fries with that?'

-Robin Williams

Just a few points:

JC, I'd recommend talking to Tbone about your little'un lifting. There's some vids in her log of her older daughter (i think) lifting, even.

MEH - On the fat acceptance thing, i'll put up a few words since spar is in absentia at the moment. The point is not to say "Being fat is awesome" and to encourage people to be fat, or even necessarily to stay overweight. The point is to say 'I am awesome' regardless of your weight, and to help heavier women feel beautiful and valuable, as they are. Instead of sub-human, as people like Jefferson, stonerider, and so on would prefer. Because while it's a positive thing to diet and exercise out of a desire to improve yourself, or your health, it is a whole other kettle of fish to do so because outside pressure has made you uncomfortable in your body, and hate it. The former will leave you happy, with healthy habits about food and exercise and a good chance to stay where you want to, in terms of how you want your body to look or perform. The latter will leave you a terrible mess. So that's really what it's about. Not letting society make you hate your body, and ruin your relationship with it.

As for the health side, that's tricky. Some people can go their whole lives being thick, while also being strong, with a high level of cardiovascular fitness, having a good lipid profile, etc. Others can't hack being even a few pounds overweight without starting to have problems. So this is highly individual, though mostly genetic, and probably your reaction to being heavier will be somewhat informative about your daughter's.

I know some of what you talk about tertius. But getting her to exercise in any fashion was near impossible. I am convinced it was a matter of choice and a form of rebellion in her case.

Weight: 246.5

5 minutes warmup on the bike. (Medium Day)

Bench Press: 200 x 5 x 5. With a good deep breath, I can now do my sets of 5 on one lungfull of air.

Curls: 70 x 5 x 5.

Claw Grip: 200 x 2 x 5. PR! I'm taking it easy on the other stuff, but figured I'd go for the gusto on this one today.

Foam roller and stretching. Things have quieted down at work considerably now that the circus and traveling clowns have left town. The crickets and tumbleweeds are creeping out and making their presence known now.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    MEH - On the fat acceptance thing, i'll put up a few words since spar is in absentia at the moment.
    thanks tertius!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I know some of what you talk about tertius. But getting her to exercise in any fashion was near impossible. I am convinced it was a matter of choice and a form of rebellion in her case.

Think of all the other ways young women choose to rebel and breathe a sigh of relief ;

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn View Post
    Think of all the other ways young women choose to rebel and breathe a sigh of relief ;
    Seriously. Think of all the obnoxious boyfriends that never had to go missing...