starting strength gym
Page 395 of 659 FirstFirst ... 295345385393394395396397405445495 ... LastLast
Results 3,941 to 3,950 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Give us some pictures or even better vids.[emoji106]

Thanks for the reminder. I'll make sure DB and my phones are at full charge.

The last time she tried getting video of me was at the California State Championships when I fell over backward on my last attempt with 403 lbs. in the deadlift. For some reason or other the images could never get cleaned up well enough to post. But then some of my buddies watching will be happy to immortalize my foibles.

good luck this weekend - sounds like fun !

Thanks. This may the start of a whole new set of endeavors.

Whew. Recovering from training day. All 5 hours of it. I'm the oldest guy on the field at 67. So I get to use the Senior Master's lighter implements. My best event today was the weight over the bar where the judges and other competitors were impressed that a first timer could make a 15' toss over the bar. We called it early because some lightning strikes made tossing the caber seem like a bad idea.

Now to rest up for the real thing tomorrow.

Forgot to mention that on one of my attempts at tossing the weight over the bar, I fell over backwards. Reprising my fall with 403 my last DL attempt in the CA State Championships.

Weight: 263.5.

I woke up in a sweat at 0500 suddenly realizing I had not bought a card for DB for our 40th anniversary. Tip toed out of the house to the 24 hour Walgreens for one. Back in 30 minutes with no wake up. More on this later. Of course I was sleep starved now because my back was also all knotted up with DOMS from yesterday's heroic grunting and I woke up every time I turned over. Not the most auspicious of beginnings.

I tried to get some more sleep and semi-succeeded. I ate a bigger breakfast than usual to fuel the day, which I neglected to do yesterday. Then got into our Jacuzzi to try to pummel out the sore with hot water.

We arrived at Walker's Bluff around 11 where my friend Jeff helped me fold and don and pin the Stewart tartan kilt. It involves laying out the cloth, folding 7 pleats in it, and then laying down on it to get it belted up properly. Jeff and I got several compliments on the authenticity of the kilt. I always pointed to him as the author of that masterpiece.

There were some big young competitors today and we got sorted into divisions. I got put with the older guys (still the oldest at 67) and women. All five of us. Weight over the bar went OK, although I left my best yesterday on this implement which was last and probably the one that put the smoke on my lower back. My best was 13 feet today where I did 15 yesterday.

Next was the caber. Very tricky technique for this, and the first time I had touched one. I managed to pick and actually turn the caber on my 3rd and last attempt. Fell at a 1 o'clock orientation too, which is not bad at all. The highlight of my day and the ONE THING I wanted to accomplish.

Some other friends, Mike, my old sergeant on the local PD and John who came on the force after I left arrived to watch. Jeff had captured me with the caber and will be sending it along with the other events he saw.

We moved from there to the sheave toss. Which I totally suck at and couldn't even make the opening height with 3 attempts.

There was a break before we went to the stones where Mike brought me over to two other guys on the PD back when. Joe, the good chief when I got hired, and Ron, a dispatcher.

I put several feet on in both of the stones from yesterday, which was encouraging in terms of developing technique.

By then, DB was getting tired. She has always supported my eccentricities, from Jujitsu, to powerlifting, to this. But yesterday and today combined were too much for her so we left before I could complete the weight for distance events and the hammer. Besides, it was our 40th anniversary and I didn't have the heart or frankly the energy left to try to soldier on through to the end. She has some debilitating arthritis in her hands, replaced right hip, and her multi-surgeried left foot. I could tell she was in real hurt.

So, lessons learned. My lifting will change. Snatches over high pulls. The tips and coaching I got was that my arms are trying to do too much work that my legs, hips, and torso should be doing. Probably one arm push presses along with more movements with rotational resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I woke up in a sweat at 0500 suddenly realizing I had not bought a card for DB for our 40th anniversary. Tip toed out of the house to the 24 hour Walgreens for one. Back in 30 minutes with no wake up.
    Heh, smart man!

Awesome report, Mark. Sounds like you had a great time and I'm very happy you handled the caber!

Great job, Mark!

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you gentlemen.