starting strength gym
Page 399 of 659 FirstFirst ... 299349389397398399400401409449499 ... LastLast
Results 3,981 to 3,990 of 6586

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Weight: 258. Woo and may I add Hoo!!!!

It seems between my body's erratic nature and my scale, it managed to fool the both of us huh Oldster?

So to celebrate I hit the gym for some extra LISS. My original plan for the week was another hike, but we have rain in the area and those trails are a serious threat to bodily harm when wet. So the mix today was walking in the Rec Center indoor track interspersed with Jacob's Ladder, heavy bag flurries, medicine ball tosses, SciFit, rower, and recumbent bike. Session was 49 minutes burning 331 calories with average HR of 107 bpm @ 70% of MHR and a peak of 123 bpm.

That sudden 4 lb. drop resulted in a lower HR for every station I hit. So, yay(!) for that too.

We live in a truly amazing place. The regional newspaper, The Southern Illinoisan had photos and an article about white pelicans quartering on Crab Orchard Lake. So after the gym DB and I drove out to look. Alas, as the Forest Service Ranger said, none to be seen without a boat. This is apparently a recent thing from the last 10 years. This was surprising to me since this was a migratory visit headed to the Gulf Coast. I never knew pelicans to be North of SoCal, but apparently they Summer as far North as British Columbia. Who knew?

Anyway, as I have found to be the case, some other enterprising soul got a video of them a couple of years ago.

Weight: 259.5.

Another GXP today. Burned 139 calories with an average HR of 122 bpm @ 79% of MHR and peak HR of 136 bpm.

Weight: 285.5.

Hip Belt Squats: 365 for 3 sets of 5.

CGBP: 145 for 3 sets of 8.

Hammer High Row: 270 for 2 sets of 8. Gassed out for set 3. Should have rested longer.

Stretched.

Session was 49 minutes burning 433 calories with an average HR of 119 bpm @ 77% of MHR and a peak HR of 135 bpm.

Weight: 258.

Push Press: 125 for 3 sets of 5.

Power Snatch: Sets of 3, 65-95-105. I gotta drop to 100. The whole last set was a little wobbly. Maybe more and microload up.

Cable Rotations: 130 for sets of 8.

Stretched. Session ran 48 minutes burning 421 calories with an average HR of 129 bpm @ 78% of MHR and a peak HR of 137 bpm.

We live in a truly amazing place. The regional newspaper, The Southern Illinoisan had photos and an article about white pelicans quartering on Crab Orchard Lake.
    Thanks for posting the video, Mark. My wife and I were hiking a local trail one bright sunny morning--we live in the high desert in northwestern New Mexico--when we saw some shadows flickering on the ground all around us. We looked up and saw a big formation of migrating white pelicans! Not the sort of bird you expect to see in the desert. Did you know their wingspans can reach 9 feet?!

Pelicans amaze me. Having lived on the coast of SoCal for 37 years, we got used to seeing brown pelicans. Some years ago, taking Our Daughter to Oregon State for the first time, we made a side trip through Klamath Falls, OR which is way inland. The school mascot is a pelican, which we noticed driving into town and there is a local rock formation called Pelican Bluff. Aaaand, pelicans on Klamath Lake. Mystifying.

Weight: 258.5

Back to Jujitsu tonight. I picked up 4 new people for a total of 6 tonight. G. missed, and probably just his usual slight disorganization. So I had E. and K. the grad student assisting in teaching. A first for K. who is coming along gradually in adapting to the new movement patterns of Jujitsu over the Karate he is used to. He's actually better at teaching than I thought he might be on a first try. I told him after class that this too will help him learn better. As a teaser for more advanced teachings down the road I showed them how flashlights and canes can be used for self defense rather than the traditional weapons of bo, sai, and nunchuks. They loved it. I vowed I would never teach kids again if I could help it after California, but I have had the most excellent good fortune of getting well raised reasonably self disciplined boys in these classes. Makes it a pleasure teaching. I have to use a lot of humor to keep them engaged, but that's fun too. As in "OK grab my wrist. Good, got it? Now, pull my other finger." Never fails to crack up everyone in the class.

Session burned 424 calories with an average HR of 105 bpm @ 68% of MHR and a peak of 126 bpm.

Weight: 258.5.

An upper body LISS day. Rounds of arms only SciFit and rower, heavy bag work, and medicine ball toss. Session was 50 minutes burning 299 calories with an average HR of 104 bpm @ 68% of MHR.

Weight: 260.

Full body LISS today with Jacobs Ladder and motion arm elliptical interspersed with the usual suspects of rower and SciFit. Stretched. Session was 51 minutes burning 358 calories at an average HR of 110 bpm @ 71% of MHR with a peak of 125 bpm.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Pelicans amaze me. Having lived on the coast of SoCal for 37 years, we got used to seeing brown pelicans. Some years ago, taking Our Daughter to Oregon State for the first time, we made a side trip through Klamath Falls, OR which is way inland. The school mascot is a pelican, which we noticed driving into town and there is a local rock formation called Pelican Bluff. Aaaand, pelicans on Klamath Lake. Mystifying.
    I love Pelicans! They are one of the many things I miss about Florida.