starting strength gym
Page 412 of 659 FirstFirst ... 312362402410411412413414422462512 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,120 of 6586

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In the 50s a few days ago, then it snowed 4"--melting off the following day (at my place). Then back into the 50s until this morning, another 4" of snow with expectations of 12 tonight.

My GWP absolutely loved working on his retrieval skills in the snow today! Took lots of pictures with his beard covered in snow.

Weight: 269. Starting to metabolize off the Prednisone and Tamiflu.

Explosive day. Went in at 75% of my last lifts.

DB Push Press: 45 lbs. R: 3-3-3 L: 3-3-3.

High Pull From 18" Blocks: 145, 3-3-3.

Cable Rotations: 100 lbs. 5-5-5.

Stretched. Session ran 43 minutes burning 330 calories with an average HR of 115 bpm @ 75% of MHR and a peak of 169 bpm.

IMG_20161115_0001.jpg

In other news, the Karate guy passed my name along to the local LGBT center for teens to teach them self defense. He's going to be doing so too, but was gracious enough to once again promote my own martial art. Really great guy. My objective going in was to teach to higher at-risk groups; women, minorities, LGBT folk. I'm going in with no preconceptions and asking lots of questions regarding the kinds of threats and attacks they get or think they might get. Then teach techniques for those specific kinds of attacks or threats.

IMG_20161115_0001.jpg

Weight: 268.

Jujitsu tonight didn't get washed out. Wednesday night, the basement flooded from the downpour. I gave E and G envelopes containing reimbursements to their parents for the sessions missed from DB's injury and my bout with the flu. Then I asked them if they were interested in helping teach self defense at the Rainbow Cafe, no harm no foul if not. If so, confer with their parents for their approval as well. Both were keen on the idea, but I said subject to parental buy-in as well. Neither thought it would be a problem. Both then went on to tell me tales of how the LGBTQ kids in middle and high school get bullied and how they have tried to get the bullies to stop.

In an unrelated anecdote, E told me one of his buddies wanted to show him a boxing move with a right cross. So he tried it, and E put him in an ulna press take down. All in good teen fun, which was a good thing the teacher observing recognized. E told me the teacher cracked up watching this while he was in the process of intervening.

Between this story and the two of them stepping up for the Rainbow Cafe? God I'm proud of them both.

So I discussed possible techniques we would be teaching. Some of which they have only seen demonstrated once. G had some good suggestions based on the physical bullying and attacks he had seen. Like a two handed chest push for one.

From there we worked some blue belt techniques, but both were wired pretty tight and asked to work some striking practice on Dave (the nickname we and the Karate folk gave the BoB). G was wound tight because one of his friends was (falsely) accused of having phoned in a shooting threat at his high school. He REALLY needed to burn off some excess steam. So, I relented and had them whaling away.

The session burned 380 calories with an average HR of 100 bpm @ 65% of MHR and a peak of 116 bpm.

Weight: 269.

Today was hand/eye/timing coordination and upper body. I did rounds of handball, 25 lb. medicine ball toss, arms only SciFit and rower, and speed bag. Speed bag got my HR up 123 bpm @ 80% of MHR in about 10 seconds. The whole session ran 35 minutes burning 259 calories with an average HR of 112 bpm @ 73% of MHR and a peak of 132 bpm.

Weight: 270.

My original plan was a hike around the Kinkaid Lake spillway rocks. But I abandoned that idea when I got there for obvious reasons seen below.

Kinkaid Lake Spillway.jpg

I'd end up like that other guy in Deliverance who got washed over the falls and found miles downstream.

So off to the Rec Center. Tire flips, heavy bag flurries, elliptical with crossarms, recumbent bike, cable crunches, stretching. The session ran 32 minutes burning 254 calories with an average HR of 114 bpm @ 74% of MHR and a peak of 127 bpm.

Good choice, don't want to be squelling like a pig.

Nope. Paddle faster, I hear banjos.

Weight: 270.

It's in the upper 50's here today, so I decided to charge up the battery, hop on my Harley, and ride. I have a Sportster 48 with the peanut tank. Which between limiting my riding range to 75 miles before a refill and the iffy proposition of always being able to find at least 91 octane gas South of IL-13 can make long rides tricky. At least until I scope out where the right gas stations are.

It's a great bike. Bigger than I had originally intended, but today's ride has finally convinced me I did not get in over my head. Here she is, the dark lady of the back roads.

Harley.jpg

Since it had been months since I rode, I picked back roads to regain and refine some shifting, braking, and curve taking skills. Old 51 is a good one for that but more heavily trafficked than I wanted to be today. So, Union Hill Road it was, a perfect choice for a relatively short, curvy ride. I had planned for a 40-45 ride but lost track of time and it ran over an hour.

The ride burned 320 calories with an average HR of 95 bpm @ 62% of MHR and a peak of 119 bpm. A most pleasant and fun way to get some LISS.

Weight: 269.5.

Back in at 75% after the worst of the ills are past me. Even then, I had a couple of coughing fits so hard my vision grayed out. Fortunately between sets while I was sitting down. Wouldn't do to face plant.

OHP: 105 for 3 sets of 5.

Deadlift: 225 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer Curl: 115 for 3 sets of 5.

Session ran 47 minutes and burned 498 calories with an average HR of 119 bpm @ 77% of MHR and a peak of 133 bpm.

starting strength coach development program
    Is 75% the same as RPE 7.5 ?