starting strength gym
Page 418 of 659 FirstFirst ... 318368408416417418419420428468518 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ick. Scones, however, are a real treat in the morning.

Hip Belt Squats: 315-5, 335-5, 355-2. Bad wakeup call there. I have lost some significant leg strength. Gotta regain ground and exceed.

Incline Bench Press: 135-5, 145-5, 155-5.

Hammer High Row: 270 for 3 sets of 5.

Stretched.

Session was 54 minutes burning 359 calories with an average HR of 108 bpm @ 71% of MHR and a peak of 126 bpm.

My quads are killing me after squats yesterday. So I decided to walk the lactic acid out of them. Swung around the East side of Lake on the Campus for a change and it was a good decision. The ground is still a little wet, and we're due for more rain this afternoon. Maybe even snow. Unlikely, but possible. There were four Canada Geese doing air to lake strafing runs on each other with a lot of honking, flapping, splashing and drama. Mating season.

The walking staff I bought seems to force a slower pace, which is fine, I want to walk a slower pace to get closer to the low end of LISS. So, another win. The lake was created by damming Piles Fork Creek and the spillway by the boathouse was running nicely.

Lake on the Campus.jpg

The walk was 33 minutes long burning 190 calories with an average HR of 100 bpm @ 65% of MHR and a peak of 106 bpm.

Sounds like a nice walk. A lot different from my part of the country. Not much water here! Lots of nice pinyon, juniper, and red rocks though. And the neighborhood smells like sage when it rains.

Some nice country there, I've seen it. Even if after having stayed at the now defunct Thunderbird Motel in Gallup on my drive from IL to SoCal in 1980 having been provided with a thin blanket to sleep with and not quite getting the job done. Then awaking to see a few drunk or soon to be drunk injuns in doorways as I drove back to I-40 to complete my journey the next morning.

The rest of what I could see looked like a place I could enjoy.

Gallup is still a little rough around the edges but the scenery is pretty nice if you like the high desert. And we're within relatively easy driving distance of some truly incredible places: Chaco Canyon, Bryce, and Zion...
    On the other hand drunkenness is still a problem here and the nearest good restaurant is a two-hour drive away.

In it's own way, not unlike where I live now. What with the scenic places to drive to and see as well as the substance abuse problems. Except the issues here are opioids and meth.

Except the issues here are opioids and meth.
    Tragically the case here as well.

One of the Immutable Laws of the Gym is that not squatting for too long a time will have you paying for it on the installment plan. Another Law that follows from the first one mentioned is when you do squat again take it easy or the payments may be more than you can comfortably tolerate with any kind of grace. Along the lines of Doc Holliday's concluding comment about Johnnie Ringo, "The strain was more than he could bear."

I broke two of those laws and am still paying for it. A third Law is that once invoked, delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) is bad the 1st day after and worse the 2nd and sometimes even worse on the 3rd day after. So it was today. My quads were barking like bloodhounds on a hot scent. So, I did all upper body LISS. Arms only rower and SciFit, speed bag, heavy bag, medicine ball toss and stretched. Session was 35 minutes burning 175 calories with an average HR of 100 bpm @ 65% of MHR and a peak of 116 bpm.

starting strength coach development program
    Some general full body stuff today. SciFit, tire flip, handball, rower, stretching. The session was 30 minutes burning 175 calories with an average HR of 106 @ 67% of MHR and a peak of 119 bpm.