starting strength gym
Page 441 of 659 FirstFirst ... 341391431439440441442443451491541 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,410 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just because I felt like it: Stationary bike, cable crunches, speed bag, rower, side bends, stretching.

Average HR was 117 bpm @ 77% of MHR.

My low back was still twanging away like a duet between Flatt and Scruggs, so deadlifts for 3 sets of 5 with 265 seemed very dispiriting.

So: when in doubt, bro hug it out. I changed the bro routine out just for the heck of it.

Rear Delt Lateral Raises: Sets of 8, 70-110-110-110.

Rope Handle Standing Triceps Extensions: Sets of 8, 80-100-120-140.

Rope Handle Pulldown Curlz: Sets of 8, 80-100-120-140.

Stretched. Added a pulling stretch for the lats.

Average HR was 116 bpm @ 75% of MHR.

Kind of marking time until the bone cracker straightens me out if I can get on his table tomorrow. Rounds of speed bad, rower, medicine ball, SciFit, long bag with kicks, stomps, knees, combined with elbows, dead hands, ridge hand strikes.

Average HR was 129 bpm @ 84% of MHR.

Well damn! I've been waiting for word of the local Celtic Festival to no avail. So I exercised some google-fu and discovered it has been cancelled. All that training for the highland games and now this at the last minute.

Chiro was closed on Columbus Day, who knew. So back for some more conditioning until I get the low back fixed.

Today was speed bag, elliptical, Jacob's Ladder, stationary bike, heavy bag with left hook punches to the liver and solar plexus vertical fists, along with stretching. The liver punch is a tricky devil. The odd angle needed to be effective requires the wrist to be perfectly aligned or it sends a nasty shock wave from fist to shoulder and can leave the wrist a little shaky.

Average HR was 126 bpm @ 83% of MHR.

Sorry to hear about the cancelled Highland game, I know you really worked hard for it.

Thanks bergs. It was frustrating. I'll start looking for other meets now.

Maybe it's the phase of the moon, or maybe because it's the PC Curse of Columbus on white male patriarchy, but between the chiro being closed and cancelled games I couldn't sit still. As if this whole recent resurrection of men as Public Enemy #1 (can't leave out the hashtag, right?) makes them worthy only to be burned on a pyre of red Solo cups in expiation of their manifold sins. Perhaps I should consume more soy products. Pink tofu anyone?

So, time to go in again and expiate some restlessness lifting. At least with something that I could manage without discomfort to my lower back.

No hip belt squats today.

Incline Press: 175 for 3 sets of 5.

Hammer Rows: Sets of 5, 180-270-320-330. I changed it up here too. Dropping Hammer High Rows with these.

Upper body doings today. Can't wait to get on the table and get cracked today at 2:00. SciFit and rower arms only, speed bag, BoxingMaster, medicine ball, and stretching.

Average HR was 119 bpm @ 78 of MHR.

The back is solid again, thank you very much. I was feeling brotastic, so delts and arms.

Rear Delt Lateral Raises: Sets of 8, 110-110-110.

Rope Handle Standing Triceps Extensions: Sets of 8, 140-145-150.

Rope Handle Pulldown Curlz: Sets of 8,140-15-160.

Average HR was 122 bpm @ 80% of MHR.

starting strength coach development program
    Cap.jpg

First session back for Jujitsu. I'd had a couple of bites about potential newbies, but neither showed tonight. Ethan did, and we worked on a technique I have been mulling over the last two weeks with no one to proof test it with. It involves a same side rear shoulder grab and pull as a set up for a sucker punch. Not the most intelligent way to set one up, but then impassioned or drunk, or both initiators of an attack don't have to be smart about it. The counter turned out to be nearly identical to a cross shoulder grab and pull for the same purpose. Turn backward with the pull and encircle the arm and apply a figure four lock. Or maybe just an outward block and move away from the attacker.

In turn, Ethan related a tale of passive/aggression on the bus. Another kid was blocking his way to the seat he wanted to take by taking up the center aisle. So he moved past him diagonally and just took the seat. He asked if he did it right. Which, mostly he did. I did suggest that he might given the kid a hip or shoulder check/bump to create the space to move better. But above all, keep his hands and elbows in so as not to be deemed the initiator and aggressor. He's a good kid and I don't want to see him get a disciplinary ding from the powers that be.

Happily, about halfway through the class, a new guy showed up interested in just observing. He had some training in Krav Maga and Shotokan so he wasn't entirely a novice. I had been planning a newbie class anyway, so I introduced a little marketing sizzle by mixing up white belt and blue belt 1st degree techniques so he could see what he was in for if he actually signed up. Ethan's Jujitsu smarts seemed to have evaporated a little after the two week break, so I demonstrated on him, and then had him perform the techniques on me. All the while describing the self defense orientation of this art as opposed to a slam-bam sporting and sparring art. FWIW, Krav Maga, while effective, is a very effective if violent battlefield art that does not seem (to me anyway) well suited to the confines of the law in terms of escalation and responsive force. At least not without getting charged with aggravated battery for something like grabbing someone's wrist. Looks like I may get at least one newbie out of this.

At the end of class, I thought Ethan said "Your Kukkido came in." It took several repetitions of this before I translated what I thought was Korean into English. Cookie dough. DOH! I had ordered some from him a month ago for band fund raising.

Average HR was 109 bpm @ 71% of MHR.