starting strength gym
Page 443 of 659 FirstFirst ... 343393433441442443444445453493543 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,430 of 6584

Thread: Geezer's Long March Toward the Elite Sneaking Up On the Finish Line

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Such a nice day, I decided to take a short hike around Fernlands Nature Preserve just North of Cedar Lake. As the name implies, lots o' ferns. Along with some nice mosses and a scenic little deeply banked stream that meanders through it.

This is the original bridge I helped replace over the stream earlier this Spring.

Bridge.jpg

Scenic and rather Middle Earth, I thought.

A few less used implements tossed in this morning. Speed bag, Jacob's Ladder, heavy bag, elliptical, ball toss, stretched.

Average HR was 133 bpm @ 87% MHR.

Cap.jpg

Ethan showed up. No idea what's up with Garrett or Ken. The latter is probably low on money, being the grad student he is barely scraping by.

After warm ups, I took Ethan through specific targeting and strikes to the solar plexus, liver, and kidneys. Showing him the variations of strikes and the rationale for them; i.e., effectiveness, type of strike, angle of strike, etc. Then we worked through the entire blue belt 1st degree course, all 17 techniques. He needs some considerable reminding and polishing of them, but I am confident he will come up to speed quickly.

He asked me some situation specific what if's.

What If 1:
    You put an attacker in an arm bar on the ground and one of his friends attempts to intervene. Short answer, if you aren't completely certain he has no friends there, assume intervention. In which case you put a quick knee to the torso or arm of the attacker on the ground to keep him out of the action for a bit, and turn to deal with the friend. Or just get the Hell out of Dodge.

What If 2:
    A fight on the bus. He witnessed one this week. Lots of possibilities, but to boil it down to a relative few, step out of the way and let the attacker stumble into a space between the bench seats or trip, deflect, or body check them into the space. Keep them there by taking a 90 degree horse stance to them and stepping on an instep or ankle to keep them there with them being pinned in place and unable to reach you with fists or the other foot. This works equally well whether the attacker lands on the floor (albeit it works better if that's where they end up) or sprawled on a bench seat. Especially if you manage to step on the side of an ankle. The attacker can flail away to their heart's content while the defender maintains an apparent passive distance and is not engaging. It is near impossible for them to get both legs under them to mount enough thrust to stand up.

I'm fortunate to get these questions. None of them are within the specific techniques I was taught to counter the attacks comprehended in the art. But the scenarios compel me to use components of what I have been taught and practice to try to help the people who chose me to teach them.

Average HR was 111 bpm @ 73% of MHR.

I'm debating about another round of singles after today. I think I have some room for short return bout and surf the Autumn wave of invigoration. Today has largely sucked except for the hour I spent in the gym.

Push Press: 45-3, 75-3, 105-1, 135-1, 155-1, 170-1 PR!

High Pulls From Blocks: 95-3, 125-3, 155-1, 185-1, 205-1, 215-1 PR!

Cable Rotations: 150 for 3 sets of 5.

Average HR was 125 bpm @ 81% of MHR.

Great day for a slightly more taxing hike. So, the Nature Trail in Giant City Park was on the list. Getting the legs in shape for my main objective, a 2 mile round trip hike to Cedar Wonders Natural Arch and getting a gauge of my pace.

Average HR was 110 bpm @ 72% of MHR.

Very nice trail and video. I'll have to hit that as well. I expect to pass by that area a couple times.

Thanks. South of Illinois Route 13 is rife with all kinds of places like this. Garden of the Gods in Saline County is a treat for the eyes, especially in Autumn as the leaves turn.

I have a list of prospective hikes to take about 3 dozen long.

I snuck this session in between visits to the hospital. DB fell last night and dislocated her hip. The orthopedist got it back in place with a lot of sedation and without surgery. It remains to be seen how much care she may need from me at home for a while, so this could be my last workout for a while.

Speed bag, SciFit, BoxingMaster, medicine ball toss, stretching.

Average HR was 124 bpm @ 81% of MHR.

Wish her luck on this.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 10-22-2018 at 03:57 PM.

A bro workout while DB is waiting for discharge.

starting strength coach development program
    A bro workout while DB and I await her discharge.

Rear Delt Lateral Raises: Sets of 8, 125-130-135.

Rope Handle Standing Triceps Extensions: Sets of 8, 150-155-160.

Rope Handle Pulldown Curlz: Sets of 8, 180-200-220.

Average HR was 127 bpm @ 83% of MHR.